Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Parent in AL - Do you wish you have more information?

LaCroix1776
LaCroix1776 Member Posts: 2
First Comment

Hi All,

First time posting. Glad to find this resource. We moved our father into a nearby AL from a different AL many hours away back in May. I'm very close to the new facility, and have a sibling who lives out of state. The move was smooth, father is settling in nicely, and from that standpoint, we're VERY lucky!

Curious though. Even though I'm able to visit almost daily (sometimes 30 mins, often longer) I feel as though I have NO idea how he's really doing. Is he declining in his activities of daily living (ADLs)? Needing more or less help? Participating in activities?

Of course, I can always flag down a caregiver and ask directly, but was wondering if anyone else has a better system in place with their LO/Parents to communicate more frequent "status updates"? Does your facility provide any "report card", "status update" or other information easily?

Comments

• Quilting brings calm
    Quilting brings calm Member Posts: 2,398
    500 Likes 1000 Comments Fourth Anniversary 250 Insightfuls Reactions

Does the AL have a Facebook page? My parents are often in photos of activities on their AL’s Facebook page. There is usually a printed monthly activity planner and menu also.

• JeriLynn66
    JeriLynn66 Member Posts: 788
    500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes 25 Insightfuls Reactions

My father in law is in Independent Living but I pay for medication administration. So they will give me updates when I ask. So do the other staff and residents. Just flag someone down.

I also rotate visits to include going to the dining room and some activities. That way I see for myself..

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,702
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions

Welcome to the forum. we are in our second MC facility, and communication was a huge issue at the first one, and one of the reasons (not the only one) why we moved. I think many staff are so overwhelmed after the pandemic that communication falls by the wayside--so you have to be aggressive, otherwise it is easier for them to have you assume that no news is good news. So yes, I'm afraid it's a common problem, but I firmly believe in being the squeaky wheel on this front.

• MN Chickadee
    MN Chickadee Member Posts: 871
    Tenth Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Likes 25 Care Reactions
    edited August 2023

Yes I always could have used more info but I know they are very busy. It was difficult to let go in this way; to not have day to day info on her care. It's an adjustment. In many places the aides aren't really supposed to do this kind of communication with families and will give pretty boiler plate responses. They may give some insight but really they are doing hour to hour care and have just a snap shot of a few hours of the resident's day, not a full picture. You may be better off asking for a full report from someone higher up. A head nurse for example may be able to review all of the notes from the entire 24 hour shifts that aides have made about the person. Most places offer care conferences, have you done one? Can you request one? They are routine meetings, often happen more often right after moving in and then every 6 months or so, to discuss exactly this. One or sometimes a team of staff are there with the family to update them on things like ways the person is declining, where care needs have changed, how they are doing with eating and activities etc. Whoever runs the care conference, often a social worker, usually gets input and updates from all the staff (nursing, activities, aides, etc.) to give the family.

• JoyfulJulie
    JoyfulJulie Member Posts: 2
    First Comment
    I just moved my mom into Mc and she is having a terrible time transitioning. Fortunately the staff and I text and email several times a day. Communication has been wonderful. Just wish mom was.
  • harshedbuzz
    harshedbuzz Member Posts: 4,348
    Seventh Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Insightfuls Reactions 500 Likes

Is this a hospitality-model AL or a MCF/AL for MC?

When my aunts had dementia, one was in a MCF and the other in AL (not the right level of care for her). The MCF was completely on top of every aspect of her day. In AL, residents were allowed more autonomy and there was only a check when meds were given. If she didn't turn up for a meal or two or didn't attend activities it wasn't being tracked or reported.

At dad's MCF, the staffing was done so he routinely had the same aides 7am -11pm. (2 per shift in his hall; one off Fri/Sat and the other Sun/Mon) so it was easiest to start there with questions or concerns. It went both ways, if something I was doing had an impact or they needed something, they'd reach out. For more serious concerns-- like when he started to lose weight at a greater rate than before-- I talked to the DON.

HB

• bjohnsen3869
    bjohnsen3869 Member Posts: 46
    10 Comments First Anniversary 5 Likes 5 Care Reactions

Lacroix

i set up ring cameras in my dads room. That has been super helpful. And the AL facility has an app called LifeLoop that they track activity participation. I can log in and see what activities my dad has accepted or declined.

• Abul1999
    Abul1999 Member Posts: 7
    First Comment

We included updates in my moms care plan. Specifically any time meds or showers are refused they have to communicate it to me I do wish I could see in one place how she’s been.

• LaCroix1776
    LaCroix1776 Member Posts: 2
    First Comment

bjohnsen3869

Ah! I figured there must be some app out there - and you're right on the money re: activities that are accepted or declined, along with the ADL/Meals, etc.

I wonder how common LifeLoop or others like it, are? I don't recall hearing/seeing or being told about anything like that across all the AL/MCs I visited (I saw a LOT!) earlier this year.

Abul1999 

Interesting take - to add that to the care plan. I'll mention that during my next care conference.

• kathy/r828
    kathy/r828 Member Posts: 1
    First Comment

Hello. I have just joined this site looking for help. My father is just beginning to struggle with daily care/tasks. We are trying to start looking for care facilities but have no idea how to do that. How do you find a reputable place? How do you know if they really care and will take good care of your loved one? Does Medicare/ins cover any of this or is it all out of pocket? Flying blind here.

• psg712
    psg712 Member Posts: 343
    100 Care Reactions 100 Likes 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions
    Hi Kathy, I am new to this site too so can't really tell if you got a response to your question. I had to move my mom last year from out of state to bring her closer to me, in an AL facility. I toured facilities and asked a lot of questions, talked to people in my area who had family in care facilities. I work in health care so had seen patients come in to acute care from some places I knew I did NOT want my mom to stay.

How do you know if they care? You will find wonderful people and those who are just there for the paycheck at any place you go. It's hard work for low pay, and no one will love your parent as you do. But you can always be your dad's advocate, and if you treat the staff with appreciation and value them as partners in his care, that will go a long way. Ask to meet the staffer who has been there the longest (to see how well the facility retains staff). Remember that the pandemic took a huge toll on health care workers, and most places are hurting for staff and using temp workers to fill in.

Ask to talk with residents. Sit down for a meal with some of them. See how they feel about where they are living. Find a way to talk to a family member of someone who lives there.

Unfortunately most AL care is custodial, not skilled nursing, so typically Medicare and other insurance do not cover costs. Find out if services are billed individually, such as medication administration, assistance with bathing, etc, or if there is an all-inclusive pricing structure. When was their last rate increase, and how much did rates go up?

No matter how great the place is, it's still a huge transition for your loved one and for you. I'm overall satisfied with where my mom lives, but it was still really hard to make the move. Give yourself time to adjust, and trust that you are doing the best you can in a difficult situation. Blessings to you!

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more