Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Anger and aggression

kattom3435
kattom3435 Member Posts: 1 Member
I'm a newbie to this forum. My 85 yo mom, diagnosed with Alz a couple years ago, lives with my sister in another state. She often has angry outbursts that are stressing my sister out. My mom has also had lifelong depression, probably bi-polar. My brother and I are both doing as much as we can from a distance, and my brother is able to drive home and often does to go to appointments and things. He has financial and medical power of attorney. We've been looking for a care home for my mom since my sister lives alone with her and my sister was recently diagnosed with a heart condition. My mom agreed to move to a local care home (a childhood friend called her from there) and we were moving through the interview and trial lunch process and my mom looked at the dining room of old people and decided she was not moving there! And the care home staff do not seem enthused to have her. Last week we were able to get my mom's doctor to prescribe an anti-psychotic but the angry outbursts haven't diminished yet.
My question is how do I get some help for my sister? She refuses to let a home health aid to come in and clean or parent-sit to take the pressure off for a bit because she doesn't trust a stranger in her house alone. The local support groups meet during the day and my sister says she can't miss work meetings.
Where do we find a care home that can deal with agitated or aggressive Alz patients? We are at our wits end at this point.
Tagged:

Comments

• JDancer
    JDancer Member Posts: 451
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes 100 Comments

Can you or your brother stay with you mother for a few days to give your sister a break?

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more