Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

More Men Are Taking Care of Aging Parents. They Feel Unprepared.

Comments

• MP8
    MP8 Member Posts: 48
    10 Comments 5 Insightfuls Reactions 5 Care Reactions 5 Likes

Thank you for sharing this. I didn't realize 47% of younger caregivers (18-34 years of age) are men.

• dancsfo
    dancsfo Member Posts: 290
    100 Comments 25 Care Reactions 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Likes

@odowd This is an excellent article. I think many people in this forum can relate to the challenges, and also learn new things from the article.

• harshedbuzz
    harshedbuzz Member Posts: 4,348
    Seventh Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Insightfuls Reactions 500 Likes

It's a great piece; thanks for sharing.

I am not surprised by the level of participation by men in the younger age bracket for a couple of reasons.

Given the sheer cost of housing, many men find themselves living "at home" longer than in previous generations and probably gradually assume a caregiver role just because they are "on site". Higher rates of divorce and smaller family sizes common to boomers means there might be fewer daughters to fill this roll.

I think, too, that this reflects the trend of men being held to higher standards of parenting in this generation as their partners are more likely to be employed continuously outside the home often contributing greater proportion of income/benefits to the family. I see my niece and her friends divide family obligations, whether holiday gift shopping or caregiving by family of origin rather than assuming the wife will take care of most of it.

HB

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney