Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

My spouse has early dementia

Comments

• Alzh_Dem2
    Alzh_Dem2 Member Posts: 7
    First Comment
    > @Alzh_Dem2 said:
    > :o :/

This is such a difficult journey. I Look forward to learning from others due to their personal experiences.
  • Jeanne C.
    Jeanne C. Member Posts: 798
    500 Comments 250 Care Reactions 250 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions

Welcome and hello. I'm sorry you need this forum but it's a good one. Let us know how we can help.

Jeanne

• Alzh_Dem2
    First Comment

My husband has dementia. He turned 90 yrs in July. Presently he can still take care of his personal needs. He doesn't drive anymore and in the past few yrs I have become responsible for most of our finances. He uses his tablet for updating himself on the news every morning with coffee. He uses the phone to order things and because we have an alert on our phones, we are notified whenever a charge has been made. I have closed his Amazon acct and bank account to prevent his being scammed. Problem, if you didn't know him you would be unaware of his short term memory loss. He can't do the things he used to do and feels I am trying to control him, etc. Our families live hundreds of miles away. He doesn't want to move because he loves our home and the fish pond which he is obsessed with. We have a 16 yr old dog who is deaf, born with one eye and is loosing vision in other eye. He still likes his walks but he is a lot of work. We both love him but between the two of them, it can be stressful. I need a break but haven't found a way yet, especially with a dog. I do have family and friends I talk to but Caregiving is such a challenge and cannot be truly understood until you become one. God help me/us

• Iris L.
    Iris L. Member Posts: 4,306
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

Welcome. You will get more responses if you post on the Spouse/Partner board.

Iris

• Alzh_Dem2
    First Comment

How can I post on the Spouse/Partner board? Also can I copy and paste the info I already posted?

• Iris L.
    edited December 2023

Go to Home, then View Discussions for Caregivers, then Spouses/Partners.

Yes, you can copy and paste.

You will meet a lot of members!

Iris

• Alzh_Dem2
    First Comment

Thank you. I found Spouses and Partners but now how do I copy my comments onto the page. I seem to be making this more difficult than it actually is.

• Iris L.

Look for your name on the Spouse/Partner board. I copied your post for you.

Iris

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney