Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Panic with incontinence

PeachyPat
PeachyPat Member Posts: 1
Second Anniversary

Hi this is Pat,

I care for my 87-yr old, ex who is in stage 6 dementia. My biggest concern is his panic when he feels the urge to urinate. Although he can still walk (slowly) on his own, he is so determined to get to the bathroom, that he has almost fallen a couple of times. I have a bed alert in his room so I can assist him at night but he is so determined to get his clothes off that I have a hard time getting him into his bathroom ( in his room). He doesn't comprehend that he is wearing incontinence underwear, so he always wants to touch his underpants I can handle that. Any thoughts on how I can help him accept this situation? He is already on several drugs to deal with anxiety and restlessness as well as sleep meds. Thanks

Comments

• mommyandme (m&m)
    mommyandme (m&m) Member Posts: 1,468
    1000 Comments Fourth Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

I’m very sorry for what you and your ex are going through. Could a portable/bedside commode be helpful? Unfortunately or fortunately, depending on how you look at it, his brain may allow him to forget how to use the bathroom or even feel the urge to eliminate. Such a disgusting disease.

• cutchelow
    cutchelow Member Posts: 5
    First Comment

I feel what you are going through. I've tried "depends" diapers, urinal, bedside commode. During the day I can usually catch when he needs to go but at night it is a different story.. I sleep outside his room on a bed in the living room. I usually hear when he gets up but often it is too late. He takes off his clothes and urinates wherever. The bedroom has carpet and so it is difficult to try to clean up afterwards. I just found where he had turned over the potty chair (with urine in it). This is the most frustrating part of the caregiver job for me. I don't know what to do next. If I start sleeping in the room with him, I'll never get enough rest. I'm running on empty and I do have hospice coming to help.

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,701
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions

Hi pat. Is he on any meds for prostate issues? Not sure if they would help, but you might discuss whether a med like Flomax would help him. Just a thought

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more