Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Recent Alzheimer's Diagnosis for Dad - Learning on the job

ioanmarkden
ioanmarkden Member Posts: 3
First Comment
Hi guys,

We have recently had a diagnosis of Alzheimer's given to Dad, compounding his battle with Prostate Cancer.

In addition to the mental anguish of the situation, the practical issue we are having to cope with is daily (sometimes twice daily) faecal incontinence.

I wondered if anybody had any practical tips, however big or small, that could help us look after Dad, limit mess and help preserve his dignity. Mum is his primary carer with my support.

Thanks to everybody for reading and indeed this marvellous resource.

Very best wishes to you all,

M

Comments

• SusanB-dil
    SusanB-dil Member Posts: 1,087
    1000 Comments Third Anniversary 100 Likes 25 Insightfuls Reactions

Hi ioanmarkden - Welcome to 'here', but sorry for the reason.

Since he was just recently diagnosed with the alz, I am guessing that he isn't far along with that? Is he still mobile? First is to have paperwork in order - DPOA and HIPPA accesses.

One suggestion is mostly for nights - Make sure there is a mattress protector on. Also, what might help to make a quick change of sheets at night, if an adult underpants leaks, is to have more than one set of sheets and protection on the bed. In order from the mattress up: the main mattress protector, then another that is more easily removed, then a set of sheets, then another waterproof protector and another set of sheets. It makes it easier to just remove just the one set of sheets and protector for middle-of-night 'issues'.

• ioanmarkden
    ioanmarkden Member Posts: 3
    First Comment

Thank you for your kind reply, Susan.

In all honesty, Dad's cognitive function had been declining for some time but without a diagnosis. With his other health issues, it was put a little to the back of the list. Then, in the summer, he caught sepsis and went into hospital for a period of time and he's never truly recovered.

In hospital they started him on a low dose of donepezil with a working prognosis of dementia but it's only in recent weeks that the consultant has determined it to be Alzheimer's.

Thanks for your suggestion regarding the sheets. I have passed this to Mum and she's very grateful for the suggestion which certainly does make things easier.

Best wishes,

IMD

• Emily 123
    Emily 123 Member Posts: 747
    500 Comments 100 Likes Third Anniversary 25 Care Reactions

Hi ioanmarkden,

Lysol makes a very good laundry sanitizer/deodorizer that you use like a fabric softener (my washer has a separate little compartment to pour it into). I've seen shaving cream recommended as something that can remove caked on matter for the commode and tile.

Another thing I did was buy some inexpensive chair and sofa slipcovers. Taking out the cushions from their covers, I put the cushions in large yard waste bags, zipped them into their original covers, pt those down, then covered the seat with a 'chucks' (you can do disposable or washable), then covered all with the cheap slipcover. https://www.amazon.com/s?k=chucks&crid=3PATBPH2N9LQO&sprefix=chucks%2Caps%2C121&ref=nb_sb_noss_1

Am assuming he's in incontinence briefs. Perhaps the ones that are taped at the sides might be easier to get him out of?

You might want to talk with his doctor's about the incontinence. Donezipril can do a real number on GI motility-maybe they can do some med adjustment.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more