Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Angry forever?

knktaylor
knktaylor Member Posts: 6
First Comment

My moms delusions and anger have become so taxing that our family feels like it may be time for full time care but she’s voiced she doesn’t want to go to a nursing home and “nothings wrong” with her. I KNOW she’s going to be irate with everyone. My question is, do you have experience with this and was your loved one angry at you forever?

Comments

• toysimm
    toysimm Member Posts: 1
    First Comment

My mother has also been experiencing aggressive behavior, primarily towards my father. She’s been diagnosed with Alzheimer’s and appears to be in the middle stages of the disease. I’ve spoken to her about them moving closer to me in efforts to place them in an assisted living facility (she doesn’t want to stay with my family). My mother remains independent with her activities of daily living, but her confusion and hostility makes it difficult between her and my father. Medication management for her condition is becoming increasingly difficult. She doesn’t want to move near me, and my father is very stressed about her condition.

• mickenny
    mickenny Member Posts: 12
    10 Comments

My mother is experiencing similar things in the last two months and the doctor said she is psychosis right now. She has refuse to take medication and is delusion every minute she is awake. All her conversations with herself is about someone harming her and become quiet violent. She will get physical with us if we stopped at her doing in anyway. She did bite my dad at one point and the doctor asked us to go to emergency and see a psychiatrist. She is not engaging with us at all unless we loudly ask for her attention.

I wonder if I moved her to a care home what will they do? If she is aggressive will they restrain and sedate her all the time?

• mommyandme (m&m)
    mommyandme (m&m) Member Posts: 1,468
    1000 Comments Fourth Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes
    edited January 10

There comes a time when the patient can no longer be part of the decision making. The POA has to make those decisions for them. If your dad has POA then he’s the decision maker. If your dad is on board then move your mom. If you’re POA (hopefully) then you make the decision. While your mom is having an aggressive episode, video it, call 911 and have her taken to a hospital and admitted to the geriatric psyche wing. Any aggressions will likely need to be managed before a dementia facility will accept her anyway. I personally didn’t experience placing my mom or having to call 911 but I read these recommendations here from very wise supportive folks. I did have to move my mom across state lines though.

Im very sorry for all who have to manage these things for their LO! It’s all so very difficult!

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,701
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions

Mickenny, getting her adequately treated will improve everyone's quality of life, the delusions are just as unpleasant for her. Do take her in, there are medications that can help without knocking her out. And yes, she likely will need to be treated before she can be placed.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more