Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Repeating the same story

My brother is in an assisted living facility and I provide in-person care 2 or 3 times a week for about 3 hours each visit, and talk on the phone daily. He repeats the same stories every time we talk (nearly word for word). For example, he will say "did you know they found salt on Mercury (slight pause) who cares!!!" Other stories that he talks about each day are more vulgar, such as Stevie Nicks was raped ..., uncle Jimmy molested his children ..., Elton John said Madonna should be murdered for lip syncing... etc. He stories are nearly all about celebrities or family drama like divorce who likes whom (mostly from 25+ years ago). In essence, he really enjoys digging up the family bones.
I've heard about the dementia people who ask the same questions, "do I have money in the bank," for example, but not about repetitive stories. Can someone point me to a resource to answer questions of why my brother is seemingly stuck like a broken record? Thanks!

Comments

• Emily 123
    Emily 123 Member Posts: 747
    500 Comments 100 Likes Third Anniversary 25 Care Reactions

Here you go...

Understanding the Dementia Experience: 

https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/210580

The ability to be social lasts a long time. These 25 year old memories are what he's able to still recall and use as conversation starters. He may not have any more recent memories to draw on when he searches for something chit-chatty to say.

• michiganpat
    michiganpat Member Posts: 140
    100 Comments 25 Likes 25 Care Reactions Second Anniversary

Aspradlin2, My husband, who has some type of FTD, does the same thing. The same stories (and there are many) over and over and over. Not only stories of the past but his opinions of how others live , especially the neighbors, and his take on the news (which he is obsessed with). He will talk and repeat a subject to death. He used to do it with just me but now with others too, although not as much as with me. The kids can see it now but those who don't see him that often don't realize his stories and opinions are repeat. His short term memory is pretty good.

• dancsfo
    dancsfo Member Posts: 290
    100 Comments 25 Care Reactions 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Likes

I realize it can get tiring for you, and the book @Emily 123 suggested probably explains what you are seeking.

If you correct you brother with "Hey, we spoke about this for the umpteenth time already", they won't remember, and may get upset. So I eventually learned to say "Is that so!?", and acknowledge it. And that may keep your relationship calm. You can try to redirect the conversation to something more pleasant, and see where you can end up. Who knows, may a favorite sports team from 25 years ago, and a championship game? And if there's anyone else at the AL within earshot, it may be a bit more acceptable stuff to talk about (even if it's repetitive) compared to family drama being dug up.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more