Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Just need to talk to my friends ,(193)

Comments

• Mint
    Mint Member Posts: 2,674
    Eighth Anniversary 2500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

Iris i browned it til about half done, like fixing it for sloppy joe etc. You place it in jar and cover with water or broth and can. I’ll let you know if I like it or not.

• jfkoc
    jfkoc Member Posts: 3,758
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions

Lorita....can we please have an update on Sarah. I guess she did get to the cardiologist.

Hearing aids....turn the volume down and work on slow increases. It is important to wear them all of the time.

Pear trees here are beautiful. Quince is blooming as are the almond trees.

Cannning hamburger...I had to google. Looks easier to just freeze.

I have been checking QVC and HSN. I feel like I am at a carnival with snake oil being sold. I will occasionally catch something of interest but when I check the item on Amazon I find a lower price and/or the product is poorly rated.

TV... no problem with local channels. I do not see why the TV is not positioned to pick up your channels but then you are not very close to local stations. That may be the problem. Can not not get a service like Verizon???

• BethL
    BethL Member Posts: 838
    Ninth Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Likes 25 Care Reactions

@dayn2nite2 My husband has had 4 settings for therapy following his fall from a ladder. 1) Inpatient hospital rehab; 2) Skilled nursing home rehab; 3) in home rehab; and 4) outpatient rehab. Each built upon the other. There is much more equipment at an outpatient PT than in the home. Hubby improved SO much once he got to the outpatient PT. I highly recommend you check into it to see if it is right for you.

• David1946
    David1946 Member Posts: 667
    500 Comments 100 Likes 25 Care Reactions 5 Insightfuls Reactions

Hi everyone, I have been having hallucinations since being diagnosed and I am waiting for a "nuclear test" to see if I have Parkinsons in addition to ALZ

• Lorita
    Lorita Member Posts: 4,310
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes
    edited February 29

Judith, you asked about the cows telling time - don't know what that was about - but, they know when it's time for feed - just like a dog will know when it's time for you to come home from work.

As for Sarah, I haven't verbally talked with her in a few days - very hard for her to talk so it's understandable. Did get a couple of texts yesterday - she's dealing with a dentist now and had an appointment this morning - makes two or three. With all the upchucking her teeth are in very poor shape - the acid has ruined them. She said she wanted to have implants and I tried to discourage that but who knows what she'll do. She thinks she has had the flu and said she was going to the hospital today after the dental appointment. I don't know if she did or not. I cannot for the life of me understand what's going on with hospice or home health. Two weeks ago she said they were supposed to come that day but nothing came of that from what I know. I thinks she still thinks about the stigma hospice has had - that's it the end of her life if she goes on it. I don't know what's happening unless she's just too resistant to it. When home health comes (at least in the past) all she said they did was take her vitals.

I had heard about the fires in the Texas panhandle and really didn't know exactly where they were. This morning someone was reporting from Amarillo so I called my niece who lives about 50 miles north of there She said there were fires all around their town in the last few days - in the town where she did live 46 homes were destroyed and many smaller towns were evacuated. The fires have burned a million acres so far. She said today they were going to start using planes to help distinguish the flames. So it's a scary time out there.

Judith, it's amazing how many more blooms there are on the Bradford pears from yesterday. They're all across the west side of the meadow adn there's several in the west pasture and quite a few across the pond dump. I know they must be beautiful in OKC. Do you have any in your yard? There's several down the driveway that are beginning to bloom.

The guy did work on the driveway today - five loads of gravel so far and I think I'll have him put another one on. It has been so muddy with holes that held water but he's filled them in with the bulldozer and now there's a thick layer of dry dirt. Won't be good if we don't get a good, hard rain to settle it. The big gravel is really big but he assures me he's packed it down with the dozer and it will eventually pack down and be smoother. I know many years ago they put that kind of gravel on one of the nearby roads and now it's just fine - so, guess it will work. They're also graveling the road outside our driveway. I bet people will think that somehow the commissioner gravelled ours - hope not. His dumptruck developed an oil leak today and he had to leave to get that fixed.

Made a big pot of vegetable soup - plenty for all of us on the front porch. I think I may have gone overboard on the rice I added. I use that as a thickener. If you all don't eat some of it I'll have to eat soup for the next week.

About the TV reception. It wasn't anything with the TV or directv - it was how the satellite was repositioned - it was all right this morning.

World news just said they had to evacuate a nuclear power plant in the Texas panhandle today because of the prairie fire. Canadian, NE of Amarillo was almost destroyed.

Judith, I agree somewhat about QVC - it's just one host after the other trying to sell things.

I'll stop now and hope everyone is all right today. Day, hope the new PT helps. So nice that you can work from home. Sleep well tonight.

• Mint
    edited February 29

You’re right Judith way easier to freeze hamburger, which is how most of mine will be. Want some canned if i like it as sometimes you forget to thaw hamburger or if electric goes out for a period of time is best if you keep freezer closed so less likely to lose all of things in your freezer. If electric off long enough will lose everything in freezer. Will not lose canned stuff. Its really pretty simple to can it just takes a little time. If i like it, will do several jars at a time and will save me time down the road somewhere.

David Im so sorry. Thankful you found the forum as it always helps to be able to talk about things. Please Let us know how things turn out. As you said before it also gives a little distraction.

I use to have a graveled driveway Lorita. Don’t miss it, they are a lot of work and expense.

Take care everyone

• JeriLynn66
    JeriLynn66 Member Posts: 797
    500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes 25 Insightfuls Reactions

DH has a flare of gout and can barely walk 😢but he’s still pushing himself. I don’t think we’ll make today’s deadline. It is what it is 😢

• Mint

Poor DH, gout is a miserable lot I understand.

Beautiful sunshiny day.pretty cool though. Ive got the itch to start working outside.

Made a new Apple cake recipe, if I like it will gladly share recipe if anyone wants it. Pretty much the normal cake recipe. Topping is butter, brown sugar, milk and nuts. You poured the warm topping over the hot cake. She said it was their family recipe. Will have to be good to beat the one i glazed with the maple syrup icing.

When I went to the Amish stand last Friday she said they will be/are tapping Maple trees soon. That is where I’ve been getting my maple syrup. It’s still not cheap but way cheaper than what I had been paying as no third party involved.

Found a new place to get my oil changed. Im impressed, someone had told my sister about them and she liked them . I can go back when oil life at 50% and they will check all my fluids, lights and tire pressures for free. They did all that today. If your oil is low they will add up to 1quart without a charge.

ok enough about my day, hope allof you are making it ok. Hope to make more HB granola in a bit. Im out and a little addicted to it too.

• jfkoc
    edited February 29

I only have a freezer section in my frig but since Trader Joe's, Whole Foods, meat market and Homeland are all less than 1 mile from me so running to the store or popping in on my way somewhere is easy. That is also the reason I do not need a "pantry". When Dick needed oxygen we got a generator. Best money ever spent.

Gravel driveways are something of a science and they always need crushed rock over a base or they will develop low places. We finally found someone to do one the right way and it has been perfect for at least 15 years. Additionally it is not dusty.

I have suedo-gout in one knee (the little crystals are different from the gout crystals). When it hurts I have Meloxacam to take. It works.

Thanks for the Sarah update.

• Lorita

JeriLynn, I hope your husband's gout attack is better today. I understand it's very painful.

I just discovered something. I typed the first sentence without bolding it, then did the bold thing and it did.

Your cake sounds good Mint. I've been meaning to make an angel food one but don't have a cover big enough so may make two loaves.

We had a terrible road when it was muddy had to leave the PU at the road and walk to the house. Found someone to make the road and have gravelled it every couple of years. David retired and couldn't find a replacement until Toad told me about his SIL.

There were some low places that held water on part of it so Dakota levelled it and put rock.on it. He had someone hauling some and that rock is too big. Two loads are okay - crusher run -but the middle area has big rocks. This is only about a third of the way to the house. I went down this morning and started taking the big rocks out. Did too much because it feels like I have a blister on my thumb. I drove the car over but but don't think I like it.

You can't see the part they worked on from inside the house or yard but I should have gone down to check. I talked to him and he'll cone over when his truck is fixed,- next week. I think I'll have him blade off the middle and add crusher run gravel in the middle. Hate to waste the rock so we'll see. Seems like there's always something to take care of it goes wrong.

Judith, did you get your taxes done? You know you're the person who urged us to get a generator. They were installing it when I lost Charles. Wish we had done it years before.

• Mint
    edited February 29

Would not recommend the cake. Threw the recipe. Would title it disappointing, the last one was so good.

Iris i have been thinking about you and praying for you. Hope you are back home safely.

Good evening to all the rockers who have not been feeling too well.

• Iris L.
    Iris L. Member Posts: 4,306
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

I took my neighbor to his follow-up eve appointment this morning. When we returned home, I told him that he upset me when he asked if he could stay with me, and that I didn't want him to ask me anything again or to come to my home ever again. He tried to say something but I turned away. I've been upset all week over this. I'm trying to calm down. This is a bad way to spend Sadie Hawkins Day.

JeriLynn, does your DH have medication for gout? Is he on a special diet? Gout is so painful and may take some time for the flare to subside.

Mint, I'm still trying to picture canned hamburger. How long can it last?

Day, best wishes with your PT, I hope you're back to normal ASAP!

Lorita, I'm going to try some tomato soup, from Progresso, not homemade.

Iris

• JeriLynn66
    JeriLynn66 Member Posts: 797
    500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes 25 Insightfuls Reactions

DH did have some prescription meds left over from last time so he started that today. I’m going to MAKE him get his feet up and ice the ankle.

He also isn’t budging on the puppy. I know he’s right but I love the little guy already.

• Lorita

Iris, I usually use Campbell's tomato soup. I always doctor it up adding a little bit of salt (maybe seasoned salt) and pepper. I use half milk and half water. When I serve it I put a big spoonful of cottage cheese in the bowl, then the soup. I like Progresso Soup - that was the first, maybe second time I tried lentil soup. The first time the night nurse at the VA on the ward where I worked made lentil soup. Then I tried Progresso. I like lentil soup but hardly ever make it now. I used to take it for lunch and Karen always talked about how awful it looked (it isn't a pretty soup). Wish you had some of the vegetable soup I made. I thickened so much I have to add water when I heat it.

I'm glad you talked to the man and got that off your chest. You'll feel better now. You did a wonderful thing taking him to his appointments. It means a lot to someone who doesn't have someone to do that for them (talking about myself now, too).

I am so sore this afternoon, my calves and legs are sore from bending over and my right arm and hand are sore from moving rocks even though I had on gloves.

I haven't done diddlysquat this afternoon - laid in my recliner or on the divan. I did talk to my BIL out in Texas. He lives about 50 miles NE of Amarillo and he said there was fire all around his town and all the roads out of town were closed. The fire didn't get into town. His two granddaughters live between his town and Fritch. One was evacuated and the fire came right up to the other's house. They had had a controlled burn near her house and the first came right up to it.

He said he awakened this morning to snow, then rain for about 45 minutes. The news just now said the snow and rain didn't do a lot of good in helping control the fires. Just think how scary that must have been. His daughter told me she saw cowboys on their horses saving cattle by cutting barbed wire fences and running them out of the pastures. Supposed to be near 80 there tomorrow with no rain in sight.

Mint, sorry about the cake - that happens sometimes - not a usual thing for you though.

Enjoy the rest of your day. See you all tomorrow.

• jfkoc

It was supposed to warm up today. Ha! Then sleet then sleet and snow. Nothing sticking and to warm to ice over.

Lorita...do you call your driveway a road???

So FedEx come up to the door and sees a box on the porch. She knocks on the door and brings both boxes in for me. How nice was that!

No, not finished with my taxes. I manage 7 equity funds so that takes time. Then I have to go through the bank records for expenses and then separately do it for the flip. This year I intend to keep better monthly records so that I can just print out at the end of the year.

Jo.....we miss you!!!!!!!

• Lorita

Iris, forgot to mention I also put a couple of dashes of Louisiana hot sauce in my soup when serving, canned or homemade. Gives it a good taste.

Speaking of Louisiana, Ron hasn't posted today unless I missed it. Ron, I think it's important that you post everyday plus we love to hear from you and Lou.

Judith, I say driveway a lot-' guess it's sort of interchangeable but in reality driveways are usually short. Our road/driveway is over a quarter mile, the neighbor just west has one that's half a mile, the next West is a quarter mile. Darwin's house is on the road so he has a short.one. Many homes out here are not on the main road but in the middle of their property.

Had a call from.Sarah. She had an echocardiogram today plus some other tests. These ordered by the Cardiologist who has to approve her for extensive dental work. This work is required by the hospital before they can do any surgery if needed. They're bafraid her upper teeth will break off during tests or surgery. They're brittle and break because of all the vomiting, I guess.

No rain or sleet here but cold. Spring is not far away.

Good night, everyone.

• Mint
    edited March 1

Iris glad you are OK. Say meat will last 2 years but experienced canners who i trust say much longer than that in reality. I plan on using mine and replacing it if i like it, not storing long term.

Lorita in surgery a tube is inserted in airway by anesthesia. Teeth can be broken out come out especially if already loose or not in good condition.

• Lorita
    Cold and sunny morning. Clouds are going to move in soon. Just fed the birds and Gray Lady is waiting. All quiet right now so feed truck isn't within hearing.
    Mint, my folks never canned meat of any kind but I imagine others did. Living in the country we had chickens, hogs and cattle. If we needed chicken grandma would catch a chicken and wring it's neck. If I remember correctly we had mostly pork. Daddy would cure ha man s and shoulders for winter. As I got older he would occasionally put a calf up to fatten. I think he took it somewhere and didn't do the beef himself. That was after we had a deep freezer. I can remember seeing a hog or two hanging in a tree to bleed out and scrape before cutting it up. Don't like those memories. Hear girls bawling so they've heard something. Gotta go and feed Gray Lady.
  • Lorita

Got that done. I think 'll let GL out with the others. Last weekend was pretty and I thought he'd move her then but duidn't. He might gave forgotten about her. Anyway I think she'd like to be out in the opasture. If need be, I can get her up again.

It is cold and getting cloudy. I picked some more daffodils that were sort of leaning over. They were kind of in the prickly opear. When I cane in and sat down I felt a sticker so how that happened I don't know.I didn't sit in them. Now one of my fingers feels like it has a sticker in it. Those things are awful.

Thanks, Mint, I guess that's what they're worried about if they can do surgery. Seems like everything has something else that has to be done first.

I've wondered if you miss your work? I do sometimes and miss the people I worked with. All except Carol and Carolyn are gone (our lunch and coffee break group,). I think all of the social workers except a couple are also gone. They, except one, were older than I and he passed away years ago. It wouldn't be the same now. Nothing stays the same forever.

How's your mother and J? Are you going to raise a lot of things this year? I tried zucchini last years - four plants from seed. Lots of pretty blooms and not one zucchini. How could that happen? I'll be back later.

• Mint
    edited March 1

My dad’s parents killed a hog. They had a smoke house where they cured meat and it was good. Can remember watching my grandma grind and season sausage. Was very good not like Bob Evans etc. She canned it but not sure by what method as she did not have a pressure canner. None of us died from eating it though.

I do not miss the stress of my job, ungrateful patients, nasty patients my whole career. Toward end of career terrible staffing, lack of equipment sometimes and being treated as if you were a robot not a human being. What i do miss greatly is using my knowledge. At first i missed the people and socialization, but that passed. As more time passed realized i missed using my knowledge. I loved learning and i loved helping people. The previously mentioned patients were a small minority. I have often said though it only takes one to ruin your day. Had a lot of patients who really appreciated me and the help i gave them. Have patients who unless something happens to me i will never forget them, some told me I felt like family to them. You know i miss seeing some of them and something that was interesting to me and sort of sad was right at the end of my career several i had taken care of for years died. It was kind of sad to me and seemed to be saying to me your finished, your job is done.

I still love learning new things as you guys know. Think my next new thing to learn might be making Ghee. Any of you guys do that? We’ll see

• jfkoc

Poor Sarah...One thing after another. Since she has not been able to eat anything "solid" for years maybe she does not need teeth. Cosmetically would not dentures be easier?

I wish we had an arial shot of your home, Lorita. Is this correct. Gravel road, gravel driveway now being surfaced. Are there two gates...one at the road (gate 1)and a second closer to the house (gate 2). Is there also a third gate, 'yard gate or gate 3" closer still to your house? This is the gate to keep the dogs in. Gates 2 and 3 must be open for delivery to the door???

Maybe you could draw us a pic with house, mobile home, barns, pens and pond. Wait. I found a google satellite photo. That barn is huge!

Brrrrr...cold out and I have someone to help me outside.

Later

• Lorita

Judith, I tried to tell Sarah that she shouldn't get the implants but seems the Dentist found something that wouldn't be compatibke with upper dentures. They'll extract upper teeth, deep clean and fill bottoms. She'll be asleep while all of this is done. This is the reason for the Cardiologist's clearance. Do hope it comes out all right.

Gate 1 and gate 2 have to be open for deliveries. The yard gates can be closed and they will open them. I keep the GPs inside when I know they're coming. Not sure which aerial view you saw. A long time ago I found one that even showed bales of hay and the Jeep. I saw one today that showed the top of the barn, road, trees and the biggest pond. The trees on the pond dump are pear trees in full bloom now. The dry looking area is another pond but not sure why it looks dry. Found another that showed all four ponds.

MH is at the SE corner of the farm so probably won't show. How did you find the aerial.view?

Gray Lady had gone down more than halfway to the main road and laid down in front of the bulldozer. One of the Charolais heifers. (now a cow )came over and stayed with her,visiting, I guess. She came up a couple of hours ago for water.

Wonder why Ron isn't posting?

• Lorita

Just heard something awful on the news about the Texas wildfires. . One rancher had 700 head of mama cows and lost all.of them. Just imagine how he feels.

Another rancher has lost 80% of his grassland. They're getting together a convoy of semis to haul donated hay and feed to them from Coweta, Okla. They'll do it again next week.

The grass will come back after rain but in the meantime the cattle that were saved will have to be fed somehow. All of their hay and grass is gone.

Years ago everyone was short of hay in this area and we had to get a semi of hay from Guymon in the Okla. Panhandle and were so glad to find it. We shared with a neighbor. Canadian, Texas has been destroyed. The Ophthalmologist who treated Barclee, our ShihTzu had a cattle ranch near Canadian so I imagine his ranch and cattle are gone. All of this is terrible- I just can't imagine. As fast as the fires were going the livestock didn't have a chance.

Many years ago something similar on a much smaller scale happened just north of us. There used to be a railroad two miles North and it started a fire that went farther north - wind was from the south.. It jumped roads and a highway and trapped some cattle.

So hard to hear all of this.

• jfkoc

It is devastating...

• Lorita

I heard yesterday that the fire spread was at least three football fields a minute. Too fast to get away from. Supposed to be windy there and here this weekend. I think I mentioned that Jerry said his town of Borger was completely surrounded with fires and all the roads out if town were clised. Imagine how scary but it didn't get into town. Every time Ingo outside I scan the horizon for smoke and hope I don't smell it. Our neighbor south of us burns wood and it scares me when I smell that smoke. Darwin also uses a wood stove but our prevailing wind is south and he's east of us.

• Lorita

Judith, Sarah just called to tell me the Cardiologist cleared her for the dental surgery Monday. After that , they can probably do the TPN. so she can get some nourishment. A couple of nights ago she had some instant potatoes made with bone broth so that was goid for her. Sleep well, everyone.

• Iris L.
    Iris L. Member Posts: 4,306
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

It's already March, where did the time go?

• telinde
    telinde Member Posts: 195
    Legacy Membership 100 Comments 5 Care Reactions 5 Likes
    edited March 2

Good evening. I’ve been going to therapy, but still using a rollator walker. I changed therapists, and feel like the new ones are helping me. I’m hoping if I can get the tendinitis, bursitis and sciatic nerve to calm down, I think maybe I could start walking better.

I have been looking for a smaller house and I found one in the town where my youngest daughter lives. I’m going to miss my friends here, but will set up lunch dates and coffee dates so we can meet and catch up. The house is only 1875 sq. ft., 3 bedroom, 2 bath. It’s small and a ranch. No basement and no 2nd floor. I’ll close in April and move in May. When I get moved, I’ll send pictures. I’m kind I’d excited, and it has been a good diversion from worrying if I will ever be able to walk without the rollator.

You all have been so busy on here that it’s taking me some time to catch up. Lorita, I bet you love your car. Enjoy taking rides and going to town when you need to. Sarah has a lot to go through getting implants. My friend has had several and it’s a pretty long process between first surgery and getting her teeth. I hope she does well and maybe they will help her in the long run.

iris, I’m sorry you had a bad experience with that guy. I hope you’re feeling better about the experience.

Mint, my daughter has been making sour dough bread, pizza crust, and bagels. She loves to experiment, and has really enjoyed trying all sorts if breads. My aunt used to can all sorts of meat. It’s great for a quick meal, but all the meats tasted like boiled meat. I guess because of the water canning solution and the processing.

Im hoping Jo is feeling better and getting some answers. Also hoping Ron is ok.

I’ll go back and catch up with Judith, HB, Beth, Jerilynn, and everyone on here. Zetta, are you doing ok?

I think of you all every day and hope you’re all doing okay. Take care and sleep well tonight. Joan

• Mint

So sorry to hear about the loss of the cattle.

Joan sounds like you have been busy. Looking forward to seeing your new place.

Good morning Ron and JoC

• harshedbuzz
    harshedbuzz Member Posts: 4,353
    Seventh Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Insightfuls Reactions 500 Likes

@Lorita

The outcome of the fires is just tragic all around. It must be especially painful for you.

I hope they come up with a plan for Sarah's dental woes. I wonder if she appreciates the time commitment of the implant procedure as well as the care compliance needed for the procedure to be successful.

@Iris L.

Oof. That situation with the neighbor sounds so awkward. You're wise to have boundaries.

@telinde

Your house sounds perfect. I'm in a 2-story with a basement laundry and my knees are not happy campers. I'd love single-level living. I don't anticipate DS ever moving out, so I expect it would be hard at this point to make happen. There aren't a whole lot of such homes in my immediate area, so I feel stuck for now. I can't wait to see your pictures.

@ronald71111 and @Jo C.

I hope you are as OK as you can be and are able to check in soon. It's not the same around here without you.

@Mint

I've seen Ghee in stores near me. Even Costco carries it. What will you use it for once you've made it? The few Indian recipes I make, use oil not ghee for sauteing.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________

It's damp and dreary here today. It's a good day to stay home but I'll need to figure out dinner. I have pizza dough made, so pizza? Or maybe we'll go out. I should have mom over or take her out at some point. My niece was supposed to visit her and take her out to dinner yesterday, but her plans changed, and she forgot to let mom know. I stopped by on the way to do some shopping so I didn't bring her along. I just feel badly because she was looking forward. On the plus side, the new bumpers for her Apple Watch came while I was there and I was able to fix her up. She has rose-gold and the back-up bumper I gave her when her old one broken was shiny silver. This looks much better.

I went shopping for bras. Not a fun shopping expedition. I must've tried on a dozen styles and ended up buying the same brand/style I always get. Team Wacoal for lyfe, I guess. I need to let go of the notion that there is some Holy Grail brassier out there that'll be more reasonably priced, flattering and comfortable than the one I bought. I also picked up a sale chemise style nightgown. My current batch is getting shabby.

DH was texting with his brother last night; no word this morning. BIL is in the ER with what looks like an infarction. He had angina on Monday night, was sent home from PT on Wednesday because of angina and decided on Friday evening to go to the ER. He's had so many heart procedures I've lost count. Over the fall and early winter, he had a new procedure in 2 steps and then another stent in late January. I feel badly for him and his wife who've only been married about 10 years after a couple failed marriages and then caring for her dad (with Alzheimer's w/behavior disturbance) for the first 5 years of their marriage. This was supposed to be their time to focus on themselves.

HB

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney