Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Just need to talk to my friends ,(193)

1282930313234»

Comments

• harshedbuzz
    harshedbuzz Member Posts: 4,353
    Seventh Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Insightfuls Reactions 500 Likes

Sadly, @Iris L. , that feels really scammy to me. If you're ever in doubt, you can call your local store and ask to speak to a manager or even the local police on their non-emergency number. Our local department and mom's both routinely make Facebook posts about new scams as they hear of them.

FWIW, I don't have a proper set of cookware anymore. The kind of pot I'd use to make pot roast, is different than the kind I'd want to make a sauce or fry an egg. I created my own set-- it's a mishmash of stuff. DH is always pestering me to buy things that match. He rarely cooks which is good because he never takes on a recipe that doesn't need some expensive or exotic ingredient as well as a new tool that will rarely be used. My kitchen is tiny, so I don't have room for his nonsense. I often find good deals on nice things at either Costco or TJMaxx/Marshall's/HomeGoods.

@Mint the ghee looks beautiful. Does it become solid when it cools? The stuff at my grocer is in the dairy aisle here is opaque.

@ronald71111 where do I find a good red beans and rice recipe?

How did it get to be Saturday already? Yikes. It's damp and dreary again. It was so nice to be outside in the garden yesterday with the sun.

I started the heavy pruning of the dwarf maple yesterday. It's looking better which I didn't expect. I'm half done and have already filled a lawn bag. My trash haulers will only take one of these a week unless I can fit one in the trash tote. I do need to get back out there because it's a little lopsided now. About 15 years ago, my then neighbors' kid were playing street hockey in the cul de sac and hit the tree which snapped in half. It would have been better if the branch near the drive died off. They also broke a window once and the older boy for reason still unknown to me turned on my outside faucet while I was on vacation which led to a $$$ water bill. I wasn't sad to see them move out although their new family can be pretty annoying as well.

The Yakatori was excellent last night. The boys cleaned their plates which is highly unusual. Turns out the recipe made 6 appetizer servings which should have been enough for 3 adults entrees but DS is a big eater. I'll double it next time.

HB

• David1946
    David1946 Member Posts: 667
    500 Comments 100 Likes 25 Care Reactions 5 Insightfuls Reactions

I retired at 62 in 2008. I miss the job worked at the U.S.P.S. 37 years the next 5 years I traveled with my wife until she died in 2013. We traveled to Alaska, San Franscico and to visit our grand daughter in Killeen,Tx. 3 years ago I met current wife we will be married in August for 6 years. She was also a widow and we met at the local Senior Center.

• ronald71111
    ronald71111 Member Posts: 1,213
    Tenth Anniversary 1000 Comments 250 Likes 100 Care Reactions

Harshedbuz, try Ron's receipe!

Cajun Red Beans and Rice:

1 lb. Dried kidney beans

1/2 lb. Salt Pork

3 cups chopped onions

1 cup chopped green onions

1 cup chopped fresh parsley

1 T. Garlic salt

1/4 t. Dried oregano

1 t. Red pepper

1 t. Pepper

1 T. Worcester sauce

1 lb. Smoked sausage, cut into 1/4 inch pieces

Hot cooked rice

Sort and wash beans; place in a large Dutch oven. Cover with water 2 inches above beans; soak overnight. Add salt pork to beans; cover and simmer 45 minutes. Stir in next 10 ingredients and continue to cook 1 hour.

Brown sausage and drain-add to bean mixture. Cover and simmer 45 minutes or until real tender adding more water if needed. Serve over rice. Ham hocks can be added with other ingredients.

Ron

• Lorita
    Lorita Member Posts: 4,310
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

Morning, We had rain last night but it's clear, sunny and pretty cold this morning. It's amazung how green things are. Went out at 7:30 to feed Gray Lady. She was laying down south of the carport out of the wind. If took her three tries to get up but she made it. It takes me two or three to get up out of these low chairs, too.

I'm going to work on tax compilation today. Just went through bank statements to find pictures of deductible cancelled checks. Does the time ever come when you don't have to do taxes?

I fed the birds before 8 hurrying to watch the Sunday morning news shows. Couldn't find them and finally realized it's Saturday! Looks like it rained quite a lot so wonder what the truck did to the road. Need to go out and open the gate so GL can get to water and hay. I think I'll let her go down driveway to get good grass maybe she won't go far.

Some cooking show is on tv and they're making biscotti. Love it but never have made it. Hope everyone is well today. Enjoy the weekend.

• harshedbuzz
    harshedbuzz Member Posts: 4,353
    Seventh Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Insightfuls Reactions 500 Likes

@ronald71111

Thank you.

That'll be on the menu next week for sure. I just need to grab the beans, sausage and some salt pork. Maybe tomorrow if I can get to the store today.

HB

• Lorita

Hi again, when you all log in, do you see the option to start a new thread? I'd like to start #194 but I can't see the option to do do.

• Mint
    Mint Member Posts: 2,673
    Eighth Anniversary 2500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes
    edited March 9

Lorita forgot to mention this. I had a very strong prescription too before my cataract surgery. I still have to wear glasses, but the glasses are much lighter. My prescription was improved a lot. And if I don’t have my glasses on, I can see way better than before without my glasses on.

HB Ghee is solid now but easy to spoon out. I fried my egg in a little this morning. Mine did not have a nutty flavor and i know why. Most of my dishes don’t match either. Almost all of my kitchen things are thrifted. The one small set of cookware that matches was used and gotten on ebay.

Lorita when you are not making any money then you don't pay taxes. if you are making money they are going to take part of it.

My adventure today was canning chicken, guessing i won’t do that again. It did fine but the broth not totally over meat. If i make it again will hot pack not raw pack. The meat not covered by broth will darken but be ok i read. Will probably make shredded chicken or chicken and gravy with it pretty soon to see what i think. If you hot pack you have to heat up broth to put on it and partially cook the meat. Just wondering how soft meat would become. How I did it was put meat in raw and let it form its own broth while pressure canning. Win some, lose some

• Lorita

Mint, that's what my ophthalmologist said - that I would still need to wear glasses even after the extractions. Do wish he still practiced. He's done extractions for everyone I know. He was doing his surgeries in a small clinic that all the doctors used. The man who owned the building sold it so everyone had to quit using it. He didn't want to use the hospital because of time restraints so retired.

With the chicken, could you add a little water or broth you buy to cover the chicken? Did you can it in pieces, cooked? Probably cut up because whole would take a.big jar. I've bought cookware at flea markets that I really liked. Somewhere I bought a glass saucepan, even with a glass handle and lid. Has a metal strip around it near the top. I've seen Aunt Bra using one like it on the Andy Griffith Show. Really like it.

Can't seem to get started on taxes watching Dt. Pol now. Guess retirement and Charles' DIC wouldn't count but lease pay would.

• ronald71111
    ronald71111 Member Posts: 1,213
    Tenth Anniversary 1000 Comments 250 Likes 100 Care Reactions

Gotta share this......Lou was in a good mood and smiling. She looked at me and said "you know who you look like?", I asked who and she said my name. I told her I had better look like him because that is who I am. Her eyes got wide and she started laughing.

Ron

• Mint
    Mint Member Posts: 2,673
    Eighth Anniversary 2500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes
    edited March 9

lorita on my screen there is an orange circle with plus sign in it. You press on it and that will get you started. Hopefully your screen has that too or someone else will chime in.

Thats funny Ron

Clocks spring ahead tonight

• Caro_Lynne
    Caro_Lynne Member Posts: 346
    100 Likes 100 Comments 25 Care Reactions First Anniversary

Either what Mint said or the orange button on the top right says "New Discussion" (mine does not have plus sign).

• Lorita

Hi, with the help of Mint and Caro I started #194 so let's post on that one. Like I've always said, it's like starting with an empty cotton sack, on a new row.

• David1946

This morning {I make breakfast every day} I wanted to have scrambled eggs as we do 3/4 times a week but this morning my wife said no eggs I feel like that I am turning into an egg. So my wife makes a fantastic banana nut bread so I toasted some in the toaster oven and it was so good she also makes a fantastic apple nut bread.

• loveskitties
    loveskitties Member Posts: 1,073
    1000 Comments Third Anniversary 100 Likes 25 Care Reactions

David, check on the discussion list for iteration 194 of this thread...Lorita started a new one...same name just 194 instead of 193

• David1946

I am not good on computers what is iteration 194? How do I find it?

• David1946

Hi everyone, I am getting my first hearing aids tomorrow I cant wait to hear all the sounds that I have been missing out on.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more