Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Need good geriatric psychiatrist/neurologist NWDC/Md

DH with Alzheimer's recently placed in MC. Began exhibiting angry aggressive behavior at night. I want total review of treatment options, not just short term tranquilizer. Help!

Tagged:

Comments

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,701
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions

Welcome to the forum. Have you asked the facility staff if they have a recommendation for someone they work with? Might be a reasonable place to start. Most of the time the atypical antipsychotics like Seroquel and Risperdal are recommended in this scenario and can be quite effective.

• Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

Welcome aboard. Sorry you need the forum, but it's a good one.

I think you should talk to her doctor to see if he/she will order meds like M1 mentioned. If there are Geriatric psychiatrists available near you, you are probably looking at a significant amount of time before you can get an appointment unless she is hospitalized, and they set the appointment for you.

• loveskitties
    loveskitties Member Posts: 1,071
    1000 Comments Third Anniversary 100 Likes 25 Care Reactions

MC facility should be your best source for options for getting geriatric psychiatrist to review situation and prescribe meds as appropriate.

MC facility may send LO to ER if aggressive behavior exceeds their rules/regs for the safety of patients and/or staff.

• jfkoc
    jfkoc Member Posts: 3,747
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions

I think crushed is from that area. Give him a shout out

• easy23
    easy23 Member Posts: 198
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes
    edited February 2

My DH's neurologist moved from NJ to Washington DC a couple of years ago. I didn't get to know him well but he specializes in memory and cognitive disorders. Saurabh Sharma MD

• Bluebird
    Bluebird Member Posts: 44
    25 Likes 10 Comments 5 Care Reactions

If you can find one a geriatric psychiatrist is best best person to help. I would ask the nursing home, DH’s doctor and the Alzheimer’s association for suggestions. If you go to a neurologist they will refer you to a geriatric psychiatrist for behavior issues. A geriatric psychiatrist will look for ways to address whatever issues your DH has without medication first and will give medication only if necessary.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more