Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Drums and Dementia

GWB
GWB Member Posts: 14
10 Comments 5 Care Reactions

I am a drummer, and drummer photographer and was recently diagnosed with Mild Dementia.

Mickey Hart of The Grateful Dead Hart became interested in the brain's rhythms, especially after his grandmother was diagnosed with advanced Alzheimer's disease.

"She hadn't spoken in over a year. I played a drum for her, and she spoke my name," said Hart, speaking with ABC News reporter Jonathan Bloom in San Francisco. "She started to become connected again -- to become verbal."

I am interested in connecting with drummers who are also in their early stages of Dementia.

Jazz drummer Joe Farnsworth at the Dakota in Minneapolis.

Comments

• 2parents/brain change
    2parents/brain change Member Posts: 51
    10 Comments 5 Care Reactions 5 Likes First Anniversary

Thank you so much for this wonderful share! I would love to help my FIL with music. I am going to take a 'radio', I purchased through a company called

Relish-Life, It is designed with folks who have memory loss, to help them listen to music.

I am encouraged by your share, to implement my idea for him.

• 2dogssing
    2dogssing Member Posts: 35
    10 Comments 5 Care Reactions

I had not heard about the healing power of drums. I have heard of harp music being healing & calming. I play & have a few CDs that I have used to play in my car to¹ keep driving stress at bay. I loaned a couple discs (to folks that had IDDM relatives & were amenable) to try to get measured indication of the harp lowering blood sugars. I didn't get any results or write a paper for my Professor, unfortunately. I hope you find some good drummers.

SingingDogs

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney