Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Resistant to testing and willing to see a Neurologist

My DW had some serious medial issues in 2019-2022 timeframe. At the time, we thought it was related to multiple UTIs and Duloxitine that had be prescribed for her. She got lost driving a couple of times, forgot what day it was, and peridocially who I was. We saw a doctor who started treating her UTIs and a Neurologist who took her off of Duloxitine (it took a couple of months to get out of her system) and the Neurologist had her cognitative tested. During the test, the tester came out and said that she was failing and could not even complete the test. It was awful, she was crying. The Neurologist wanted to test her again after the UTIs were stopped and the Duloxitine was out of her system, but she knows what/why the testing is for and is resistant to getting tested again. My DW did get better, but lately it seems she is getting worse again. She has been off Duloxitine for over a year now and UTIs are being prevented. To top it off, her Neurologist is no long with the practice and the practice does not treat memory care any longer. I don't know where to go and what to do at this point.

Comments

• trottingalong
    trottingalong Member Posts: 387
    Eighth Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes 100 Comments

My DH went through testing 6 years ago. Conclusion was MCI with depression. Seems to be pretty standard diagnosis. The Neurologist at the time told us “only time will tell.” Fast forward to today, and it’s obvious he has problems with his short term memory and cognition. He refuses to be tested again. He sees no point in going through that again. I agreed. Luckily, we have a good primary physician.

• jfkoc
    jfkoc Member Posts: 3,745
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions

Hi...

I make two suggestions; 1) google diagnosis of Alzheimer's disease and 2) find a support group and ask about Drs. Members are usually very willing to share their experiences.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more