Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Lonely but longing to be alone…

AnnieTB
AnnieTB Member Posts: 13
Sixth Anniversary 25 Care Reactions 10 Comments 5 Insightfuls Reactions

Hello- New to posting, though I have looked in on others for several years. My DH (age 70) has Alzheimer’s and Vascular Dementia, heading into moderate stage although not yet problems with ADLs. We have known this was coming (through testing) for around 10 years. Slow progression, so I feel fortunate for that. SO many of you are in such worse predicaments. For me, our marriage was not the best prior to diagnoses, but now I’m in it for the long haul. I feel that I am young (66) and being a retired social worker, I access local supports and resources and have good friends. Just the day to day is so lonely, as he has less and less interest in anything he/we once did, even in conversation, and he’s so dependent, that it feels more like parenting. I dream about the retirement I imagined; travel and independence, which can’t happen now. I envy my single friends, as I would love to be unencumbured. Intellectually, I know it’s not his fault, and I have dropped the resentment I felt in the beginning. I just don’t know where to dive in on existing posts, as I’m not really seeking advice, just folks who are experiencing this feeling. It’s lonely to be in a house with someone who is slipping away…. The ambiguous grief of losing him while still being so needed is painful.

Comments

• Dio
    Dio Member Posts: 681
    500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes Second Anniversary

I am so with you. All of what you described is everything I've gone through and going through…and then some! Hang in there. It supposedly gets better.

• Denise1847
    Denise1847 Member Posts: 835
    250 Care Reactions 500 Comments 250 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions

Hi Annie,

I know exactly how you feel. Calling friends and getting out helps, but it is still a lonely and exhausting. If you haven't already, consider getting counseling as it will help. Also, do not hesitate if you need to take antidepressants. They help also.

• JDancer
    JDancer Member Posts: 451
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes 100 Comments

You have described my life and my feelings perfectly. I'm so sorry you, too, are experiencing all this.

• wose
    wose Member Posts: 137
    100 Comments 100 Care Reactions 25 Likes 5 Insightfuls Reactions

Ditto💜Same age..Same story…I’m very sorry you’re in the same boat. Hugs coming your way.

• midge333
    midge333 Member Posts: 291
    100 Likes 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Care Reactions

Ambiguous loss is a bitch. I just don't want my DW to suffer all the indignities of dementia…

• upstateAnn
    upstateAnn Member Posts: 103
    100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes

I loved to travel and those days are over. What I find works is to find intellectual and enjoyable adventures close to home. I am chair of a local political ward committee, volunteer on campaigns and find joy in gardening, birdwatching and simply walking. I schedule regular outings with friends. I also enjoy cooking and entertain our friends. Muppets husband has a fatal brain disease and all our friends know it, but life goes on,

• Anna2022
    Anna2022 Member Posts: 165
    100 Comments Second Anniversary 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Likes
    edited May 2

@AnnieTB You just described my life, except our marriage was a good one.

• jfkoc
    jfkoc Member Posts: 3,754
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions

It is lonely. A different kind of lonely than that which is felt after a death.

Before our loved one dies we are busy taking care of and being responsible for everything. After? Well , besides the permanent loss of a loved one, most of us have lost a job. A demanding, exhausting job and while there is frequently a sense of relief, we are left truly alone.

All of that said, I quess I am not a proponant of "ambiguos grief". Grief is grief and it has a life of its own…it will not be controlled.

_Judith

• ButterflyWings
    ButterflyWings Member Posts: 1,752
    500 Likes Fifth Anniversary 1000 Comments 250 Insightfuls Reactions

@AnnieTB Hugs to you. As you can see, you voiced something that many feel. Honestly, I am too dang exhausted most days to feel lonely. I've always been more of an introvert which I learned is someone who recharges with alone-time, rather than extroverts who re-charge by connecting with others (often the more the merrier). So I am naturally very happy when by myself doing the things I love.

Dementia caregiving is a totally different twilight zone as we know. Like the title of this thread, I do think part of me is longing to be alone, but not exactly. Not really, not yet. I miss him already yes, but once he is truly gone — I know I will miss him so.

Thank you for posting this. Beachfan's response helped me a lot, as it is clear there is life after dementia if we can only survive our spouse's disease. And it doesn't mean we will miss or love them less. We just keep going, and growing.

• JDancer
    JDancer Member Posts: 451
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes 100 Comments

There's nothing ambiguous about the grief itself. It's ambiguous because it's not recognized (especially by others) and acknowledged. No rituals, no official mourning, this is what adds to the difficulty, IMHO.

• trottingalong
    trottingalong Member Posts: 387
    Eighth Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes 100 Comments

Like you, I’m an introvert. Your second paragraph said exactly how I feel. I feel less alone with my thoughts when connecting with others comments.

• annie51
    annie51 Member Posts: 127
    100 Comments 100 Care Reactions 25 Likes First Anniversary

As so many have said, this is something I think we all go through. With my DH progressing, I long for the days of my companion, my best friend, my confidante, the person I wanted to talk to about everything. It truly is a very lonely feeling. At this point, the few minutes I get alone each day (not very many…) are a little bit of a break. But most of that alone time is spent reading this forum - and it's a huge help!

• Drapper
    Drapper Member Posts: 79
    Third Anniversary 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes 10 Comments

I am in the same position. I have found that keeping a daily gratitude journal has helped me to appreciate and remember good moments are happening everyday. It may be a walk, listening up a bird , talking to a friend / small things in life. I also write down 3 things my DH did well today - Eating a meal he liked, getting dressed without arguing , laughing at something on TV. It helps me realize there are good moments.

• ronda b
    ronda b Member Posts: 77
    25 Care Reactions 10 Comments 5 Likes

I feel you. DH never was that social but I was. Now seems like my life is completely around him. I am never alone or have free time.

He would prefer to sit and listen to music or feed the birds and squirrels.

• AnnieTB
    AnnieTB Member Posts: 13
    Sixth Anniversary 25 Care Reactions 10 Comments 5 Insightfuls Reactions

WOW. I only just now got back to looking at your responses. Thank you all SO MUCH for bearing your tough feelings, I truly appreciate knowing that I am not alone. Today I hosted a gathering at my house with compassionate friends and neighbors for a a ‘Dementia Friends’ presentation put on by my local Aging and Disabilities Resource Center (while my DH was at his day program.) Amazing to witness the ‘village’ I have of genuine support, and also to learn of how many of my friends have experienced dementia in family members. I’m continuing to learn and grow, and focus on care for my husband, as well as breaks and supported travel for myself. Hugs to all of you on your difficult journeys!

• mathreader
    mathreader Member Posts: 44

I just found your post today when I searched for feeling lonely. You put into words what I am feeling today. He is here, but doesn't want to do anything. There is always an excuse. "It might rain, it's too hot, can we do it tomorrow?" If I was alone, I would do more, as being gone for long makes him stressed out too. Even me being on the phone is sometimes too much for him as he needs me to always be accessible. I know I need to get help, but he is not at the point where he would let me hire someone to stay with him, and certainly he wouldn't go anywhere like a senior center or day care. Thanks for letting me know I'm not alone. I just need to learn to control my sad emotions - especially around him. I don't know how to do that yet.

• orth
    orth Member Posts: 16
    10 Comments 5 Likes 5 Care Reactions

wow, I couldn’t say it any better. I feel the same way

• SDianeL
    SDianeL Member Posts: 878
    500 Care Reactions 250 Likes 500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions

I got my husband to accept a caregiver by telling him it was to help me so I could go to my doctor appointments. After she came the second time he asked was “his lady” coming today. She mainly listened to his stories that he told her again every day.

• mathreader
    mathreader Member Posts: 44

Problem is, he thinks he's ok to be by himself.

• Karen711
    Karen711 Member Posts: 62
    25 Likes 25 Care Reactions 10 Comments First Anniversary
    edited August 8

Hi Everyone-

These are all Very moving posts, blown away, this is how this site gives me/us support. Thank you all for sharing these deeper stories.

With Gratitude

Karen

• end of the rainbow
    end of the rainbow Member Posts: 1
    First Comment

You sound so much like me. I new to posting as well, as I’m just figuring out how this platform works. It feels weird to be lonely while constantly with him. I miss conversations with depth (which requires memory) and I miss his witt, the shared humor of thing (which also requires memory). I feel like a burden to family and friends by continuing to talk about my woes. I feel so alone! Trying to remain grateful but sometimes it’s hard.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more