Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Resources for Early-Onset Dementia

Hi all,
I am looking on behalf of a friend for resources/support groups/etc for people with early-onset dementia, and caring for someone with early-onset dementia. She is located in the NYC area so anywhere within a 1 hour radius there or any online resources would be amazing. Looking for things like support groups, education programs, or just any sort of resources regarding early-onset dementia outside of health websites that just define the condition. It's a rare condition so I'm hoping to get some help here. Thank you so much!!

Comments

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,700
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions

There are so many medical research centers in NYC, I would think there would be an abundance of resources. You can also call the area Council on Aging and local Alzheimer's Association Chapter, they will likely have lists of local resources. Early onset may be rare overall but very familiar to these boards…you will also find a wealth of kniowledgeable caregivers here. I find this forum to be more helpful than most other sources.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more