Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

pity party day, week, month...

DH was diagnosed with EOAD (age 61) November 2021 after a lumbar puncture. He was MCI at the time. Currently he his solid stage 5 with stage six leanings.

He does not shadow, he is velcro. Can't follow simple commands or remember anything for longer than a couple of minutes. Still continent, but the hygiene is out the window.

I live with door alarms and locks, I have no privacy or sense of an independent self. He has to be under direct supervision 24/7. He gets up 4-9 times per night and wanders to the bathroom and back, but thankfully nothing worse than that.

I have some respite care, but it never seems like enough. He loved daycare, but at $900/month for 2 six hour days a week it was unsustainable.

He is on Lexapro, seroquel, gabapentin and a delta 8 gummy. How is he still upright with all of that on board, much less constantly pacing? He is prone to agitation and anger (mostly directed at our 20 yo). After a chat with his provider yesterday we are upping the nighttime seroquel.

I know the middle stages are the hardest, but I am so tired. Tired, short tempered, and definitely not a caregiver I would hire.

I'm on Lexapro as well (a larger dose😊) and have support groups and friends who get it. But how do I make that final mental switch to being able to let it all go? I feel like a good cathartic cry would help, but I can't seem to just release it all.

They have rage room where you get to smash things, but I think I really need a cry room. Someplace where we can gather and have someone lead us through releasing all the emotion and pressure.

Comments

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,700
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions

This is sooo exhausting. Have you thought about checking with your local Council on Aging to see if there are possibly any local grants/programs you might be eligible for, that could possibly give you more relief? Have you got him qualified for Medicaid, too?

• SDianeL
    SDianeL Member Posts: 875
    250 Likes 250 Care Reactions 500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions

We understand how you feel. I didn't cry until I had to place my DH in memory care 6 months ago due to my cancer diagnosis. I now cry every time after I visit him. Have you talked to a Psychologist or Psychiatrist? You are grieving for what once was and are angry at the terrible disease. You're not angry at him. Try to find more respite care. You really need it. Hugs.

• Laurie1282
    Laurie1282 Member Posts: 53
    Third Anniversary 25 Care Reactions 10 Comments 5 Insightfuls Reactions

My HWA is also solid stage 5, leaning to 6. No matter how sad and gut-wrenching this disease gets, I can't cry either. I have always been emotional and easy to tear up, but now those tears just don't want to emerge.

• Denise1847
    Denise1847 Member Posts: 835
    250 Care Reactions 500 Comments 250 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions

Dear PlentyQuiet,

I am so sorry. You are not alone. My current image of myself is curled up in the fetal position in a pitch-black forest. My goal is to just get through the day and look for things to be grateful for. This is truly a struggle for survival, both mentally and physically. Please talk to someone as it does help to vent. Stay in touch and sending to a virtual hug.

• Crkddy
    Crkddy Member Posts: 84
    Fourth Anniversary 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Likes 25 Care Reactions

howhale, does your wife eat ice cream? I had very similar issues with my DW last year and finally landed on something that worked for us. I buried her meds in spoonfuls of her favorite ice cream (mint chocolate chip.) Didn't even crush them - as she would just chew and shallow. If your wife has big pills, you may have to crush first. Hope you find something that works for you.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more