Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Just need to talk to my friends (198)

Comments

• jfkoc
    jfkoc Member Posts: 3,754
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions
    edited August 2

David…my husband was Navy and was in Pensacola and Key West. Where were you?

Lobster Roll…..Yum!!!!!

Love the tomato chatter. So maybe next year I will put in some cherry tomatoes with the caladiums or just wait, like always , for friend to have too many tomatoes to eat.

104 yesterday…. going to raise the level of mowing.

• Lorita
    Lorita Member Posts: 4,307
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

Judith, at least you have grass to mow. None here except some crab grass on the north side. I wish it was shorter - need to call and see how Bryon is,- too hot to do much of anything though.

• ronald71111
    ronald71111 Member Posts: 1,213
    Tenth Anniversary 1000 Comments 250 Likes 100 Care Reactions

Lorita, your food reminded me of my mean brother LOL. Two days ago he sent me a picture of some okra and tomatoes and told me I should have stayed longer. Growing up okra and tomatoes, blackeyed peas, cornbread and either pork chops or chicken was a frequent meal. Another was baby limas over rice with pork chops. Several meals usually included rice or mashed potatoes! A special meal was rump roast and pork roast cooked together with carrots, onions, potatoes and garlic and the juices from the two over rice along with the vegetables.

Thus is making me hungry!

Ron

• David1946
    David1946 Member Posts: 664
    500 Comments 100 Likes 25 Care Reactions 5 Insightfuls Reactions

I WAS stationed in Mayport Florida fromOctober 1965 to December 1967 my station was at the Pentagon.

• Lorita
    edited August 2

Ron, sounds like our families had about the same things to eat. Daddy raised hogs so we had pork, very little beef. About the only time we had rice was for breakfast. I called it sticky rice, cooked down low and eaten with butter, sugar and cream. Charles and I ate rice often with other meals. I'm getting hungry, too, Ron.

Talked with Bryon a while ago. He has some grasshoppers but he said he lets his chickens out and they take care of them. I had forgotten how funny it was to watch chickens chase grasshoppers.

Do hope you're well, Ron. Talked with Todd. He's been sleeping and trying to rest.

• jfkoc

David…Looked up NS Mayport….Dick was a Strike fighter pilot so Pensacola, Kingsville, Key West. He Also flew for Air America in Viet Nam and Laos. We were not married until after his pilot days were over and he went back to Law school and became an aviation attorney.

I live in Okla now but was raised in the Chicago area. No southern food for me but thanks anyway.

• David1946

I never went to Vietnam I transferred about the same time my ship the USS JONAS INGRHAM DD 938 went over to Vietnam. I was always in the Carribean and all over the Mediterranean. I have been to Rome, Barcelona, Malta, Monte Carlo, Morrocco and many other places I as they say join the NAVY and see the world.

• jfkoc

Dick was USS Coral Sea…also the Mediterranean…he loved Madrid

• Iris L.
    Iris L. Member Posts: 4,306
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

I was a Vietnam Era airwoman but I was stationed stateside. It's hot today in SoCal.

Iris

• jfkoc

Iris…were you in Saigon?

• ronald71111

I've even thought about going back to Vietnam after Lou died. Duty station Quang Nghai 65 and Danang 66, but spent time in Saigon, Chu Lai, Hue, Nghai Trang, Cam Ran Bay, and a couple more I can't even come close to spelling.

I've told the story before about my two older brothers; oldest was Navy and spent his tour in Naples and other brother Army and was tour duty in Hawaii.

Ron

• jfkoc

Ron…Dick did go back. He said it was a very meaningful experience, He had a guide that I could probably look up for you.

• Iris L.
    Iris L. Member Posts: 4,306
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

Judith, I was stationed at Andrews AFB outside of DC.

Iris

• Mint
    Mint Member Posts: 2,671
    Eighth Anniversary 2500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

Good morning

Beth I grow my tomatoes in grow bags. I bought what looked like a cherokee purple Tomato at Amish yesterday. Inwanted to taste it. Also got one that looked like a brandywine.

Hoping to can tomato sauce today

• Lorita

Morning, we slept in, really no pressing reason to get up. Enjoy your Saturday.

• eaglemom
    eaglemom Member Posts: 521
    Legacy Membership 500 Comments 100 Likes 25 Insightfuls Reactions

Morning everyone.

Seeing the tomatoes & gardens makes me wish I had more time. DH loves putting a garden in then occasionally he'll water it. What he really enjoys is picking the veggies and giving them away. So you see it all is left up to me and a big garden to tend to was something I couldn't keep up with the way it needed to be. I do miss not having one, but I go to the farmer's market and solve that problem.

Yesterday's heat was brutal, 106 and index 112. We have a covered patio and then a stone extension that turns into a walkway around the house. I have large outdoor rugs in a path so the dog doesn't walk on the hot stones! I also have it shaded with a huge umbrella. Yesterday when I let her out, she zipped out, stepped 6 inches into the grass, did her thing and zoomed back inside - shaded all the way! She likes her air conditioning, as do I!

Looks like we'll be watching the Olympics this weekend and playing some games. I have a couple of quick errand I need to run before it's too hot.

Be safe everyone.

• David1946
    edited August 3

Good morning, waiting to have a company to come to the house to detail the car. Will tell how they did.

They showed up on time 10a.m. stayed about 2 hours. I can't say enough about the detailing they did. The car looks like it was just driven off the lot. I will definitely use them again .

• harshedbuzz
    harshedbuzz Member Posts: 4,352
    Seventh Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Insightfuls Reactions 500 Likes

Good morning.

Ron- Both my BILs served in Viet Nam; the older was a Navy doctor attached to the Marines and the younger was in the Air Force. The older one returned with his wife with a small tour group a few years before he died and found it very poignant as he had also served part of the local community for 6 months of his tour. He was glad he went and talked the younger brother into going. After touring, he spent some time in one of the luxury beachfront resorts which he said was wonderful.
    ———————————————————————————————————-
    I'm meeting friends for dinner tonight. I drove to NJ to buy some wine yesterday; wine is much cheaper there than in PA as a rule and the selections tend to be far superior. I found on of my preferred every-day Chardonnays on sale for $6.99 compared to the $15.59 it is on this side of the river. I suspect it's the real reason Washington crossed the Delaware.

I hadn't had mom out since Monday, so I invited her to come along. We hit the Lands End which had some nice things on sale. Mom wanted to buy more dresses and linen pants, but I talked her out of it as she never wears the ones she has, and I didn't feel like hemming her pants. Between her height and scoliosis, her pants require very precise measurement. The woman has over 20 pair of warm weather weight pants, trousers and capris— she truly doesn't need more. I got a cool weather jacket to replace the one of the same design I bought 15 years ago that's falling apart and a linen skirt; mom bought a couple rash guards.

I also let her loose in Nordstrom Rack for a bit. She had $250 in gift cards burning a hole in her wallet and was happy to pick up a couple pair of shoes. I was able to talk her out of a pair of black chunky heels as she's trying to convince me she'd be "fine" in them. Once on, she walked like a drunken sailor so I won this round. She did get some basic Tom's and a pair of olive-green fleece-lined Birkenstock Arizonas. Birks are pretty funny-looking anyway, but fleece takes them to a whole other level of fugly. They are amazingly comfortable. I expect I'll see a lot of these.

Tomorrow is DS's birthday. He's requested dinner at the artisanal pizza restaurant with the beer wall. That boy is a cheap date compared to my niece.

I hope all have a pleasant day.

HB

• jfkoc

here….

• Lorita

Quiet day on our thtead. Hope everyone is well. It got up to upper 90s today with heat index around 100 but not much wind. Felt hit yonmr. Took a nap and watched Olympics.

Sleep well.

• JeriLynn66
    JeriLynn66 Member Posts: 792
    500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes 25 Insightfuls Reactions

Good Morning.

@harshedbuzz " a pair of olive-green fleece-lined Birkenstock Arizonas. Birks are pretty funny-looking anyway, but fleece takes them to a whole other level of fugly. They are amazingly comfortable. I expect I'll see a lot of these." I have a ratty pair and am looking for new ones. LOL

• Mint
    Mint Member Posts: 2,671
    Eighth Anniversary 2500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

good morning

have a pair of ratty birks too laugh out loud, think i will skip the fleece

• harshedbuzz
    harshedbuzz Member Posts: 4,352
    Seventh Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Insightfuls Reactions 500 Likes

@JeriLynn66 Team Ratty Birks here, too.

I have a white vegan pair that sustained a minor "meltdown" when I wore them grilling. What was I thinking? And also a pair of the iconic brown Arizonas that featured in "Barbie". DH choked on his popcorn at that scene— I was wearing them at the time.

• ronald71111

Morning!

Ron

• Lorita

Morning. Watching morning news shows. Ron, hope you're doing better.

• David1946

Hello all, I took my wife out for anniversary (6 years).went to the Sylvan Street Grille. Had a cake to surprise her.

• jfkoc

Never owned birks…never will!!!

• Lorita

it's been another hot day but not quite as bad as it has been. I watched quite a lot if the Olympics and took a nap. Several times thus weekend I thought I should call Sarah to see how she is. Force of habit, I guess. Sometimes I still think about calling Patsy.

JeriLynn, you won't be in the path of the hurricane, will you? Do wish we could get some of that rain. Things get worse each day. They're still cutting the hay east of us, will probably take 3-4 days so guess they'll start baling while still cutting.

Time for the news. If I don't get back, sleep well.

• BethL
    BethL Member Posts: 838
    Ninth Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Likes 25 Care Reactions

Hello,

Lorita, hoping for rain for you and others who need it. I'm hoping for a cooler week to come; it was 95 today and has been hot all week.

Went to church and then did a few gardening tasks while trying to not get overheated. I picked 8 tomatoes and there are more that I can get tomorrow. I did a little weeding and I watered my veggies - green beans, tomatoes, cucumbers. In the past week, I've trimmed the cucumber plants which were totally out of control, dug up a lot of ferns - they are rather invasive, going everywhere, worked on a trellis that was bent from the storm and harvested vegetables. I need to thin some plants that are overgrown yet, and before we know it, it'll be time to do fall garden clean up. The summer is flying by.

I hope to buy some sweet corn every week (until it's no longer available, or I get tired of it) and process it for freezing.

Have a good week. Beth

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney