Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

resources for re-homing a rescue dog in Middle Tennessee

Hi folks,

Thanks for all your support and wisdom. I've been lurking for months, reading and gaining support, but this is my first post.

My sis and I are remotely supporting a father with ES dementia and a mother who is highly functional but recovering from a serious TBI herself, requiring massive caregiver support for transfers, bathrooming, ADL's, etc. Mom was sent home from SNF end of June and since then the family rescue dog, Roxy, has become so much more of a pain than a support resource. She's traumatized by all the strangers, caregivers, and docs coming into the house to care for them and barks incessantly and has even tried to bite several times.

We've tried for 2 weeks to get area adoption agencies and even the surrender agency to take her and no one will (so far). Now we are trying to move them into AL in a week, and the dog won't be accepted there.

Does anyone know the names of any orgs in the middle Tennessee area (or national with local outposts) who could help? I saw on one thread here about orgs that help seniors with relocating pets for this need, but haven't found any.

Both parents have said ok to re-homing Roxy, but who knows if dad will remember? He's very early stage with mild cognitive decline and doesn't accept his diagnosis. He does see that he is having some memory issues, but doesn't realize how unsafe he is in caregiving for mom, whose care needs are greater than his memory of what they are.

Roxy is small, curious, and cuddly Cheweini. She's actually a great dog when the neighbor watches her and she's not defending my mom from an intruder. She rarely barks and is a really fun dog to sit, so I do believe with enough exercise and attention, she'll be a great dog to someone. It would be such a shame to put her down.

Is my sister right that we really have to get the dog out of the house before dad returns from his stay at a SNF, where he is recovering from cellulitis? He may be home as soon as Wed. eve or Thurs. this week.

If we can get the dog out of there before he returns home, it will be much less traumatic on them both. Any help offered appreciated. They are in Hermitage, TN and I live in San Francisco. My sis is there with them now, and lives in Singapore. We have no family locally and I wish I could get them to move to the West Coast so I could visit more.

Comments

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,700
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions

Welcome to the forum. You're in my neck of the woods. But unfortunately a dog with a history of aggression is going to be hard to place. I have family experience with this. Do they have a vet your sister could talk to? That's the only thing i can think of. A private placement might work. There's a neighborhood chat forum called nextdoor.com, I'm sure there will be a hermitage branch and you might try posting there.

• Bailey's Mom
    Bailey's Mom Member Posts: 39
    25 Care Reactions 10 Comments 5 Likes

I've been looking into 'Old Friends Senuir Dog Sanctuary' in Mount Juliet, Tn as a potential charity to leave some of my estate to (no children or heirs). Your dog is adorable…it would be a shame to not rehome it.

• jfkoc
    jfkoc Member Posts: 3,745
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions

My first call would be to the vet.

• Jackie_K
    Jackie_K Member Posts: 63
    10 Comments 5 Insightfuls Reactions First Anniversary 5 Likes

@sdepolo That is one cute puppy! My mom's dog is the same way - barks a ton, lunges at anyone who comes near my mom, etc. but he is super happy when he's out and about and not 'defending' my mom. I think they can detect when their humans are sick and get extra protective, which doesn't help the cause but it seems to be a natural instinct. Do you know why the other organizations said no - is there a bite on record or was the dog temperament tested?

Either way - it looks like there is one senior dog rescue in TN called Old Friends Senior Dog Sanctuary, you might want to try them. Google also tells me that Senior Hearts Rescue and Renewal is in PA but rescues pups from TN, if you strike out with Old Friends.

The two organizations I have personally adopted from are Muttville (San Francisco based, I used to live on the West Coast) and Young at Heart (Chicago). You can also try reaching out to them to see if they have any suggestions or know of any rescues in their network.

• sdepolo
    sdepolo Member Posts: 5
    First Comment

Thanks, ya'll. Turns out my dear friend Lisa is willing to take her at least temporarily over in Fairview at her ranch of gazillions of animals and 12 other rescue dogs. You could even drop by the farm to visit her and the pack. See some famous musician videos made at the ranch and upcoming HGTV APPEARANCE, & a Russian toy fox they have at https://www.sacreddognashville.com/ In case anyone coming to this thread with a similar need, 'Old Friends Senoir Dog Sanctuary' doesn't take surrenders or rescues directly, they take theirs from animal control and humane society I think. Lisa can't take any more, this was a personal favor. Good luck to all of the pets out there needing a home and fingers crossed Roxy will behave on the farm so she can stay. So far, day one was great!

• Bailey's Mom
    Bailey's Mom Member Posts: 39
    25 Care Reactions 10 Comments 5 Likes

I am so glad that you found someone to take your parent's dog…looks like a great place too. It started me thinking about my own dog, who I love more than any living human being! I was awake all night imagining what would happen to him if I suddenly died or became incapacitated. DH might be able to care for him for awhile, but probably not…looking into creating a 'pet trust' and leaving ample money to care for him through his senior years (he is 10 yrs old now). Reached out to a good friend who said she would take him if needed…I would definitely provide for this in a will, but that doesn't help if I am incapacitated but still alive…thus the need for a trust. Relatively intelligent, but this is out of my purview…any thoughts would be appreciated.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more