Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Mover closer?

W.L.
W.L. Member Posts: 22
Third Anniversary 10 Comments 5 Care Reactions

Hi, I may have posted this earlier in a wrong or little visited place so I', posting here too hoping for some advice from those who have experienced this. Short back story, my wife has been in memory care in Fresno Ca. for 2 1/2 years. Her son lives seven miles from where she is and sees her twice a week. She is currently level six. I live in Boise Idaho. I moved here to be close to my daughters because of health issues,those have improved though.

I want to move her closer to me (with her sons encouragement) but don't know how the move might affect her. I certainly do not want to cause her any set back or trauma. (A side note, she often mistakes her son for me.) The move is 725 miles, not an easy one day trip. As you can imagine, I miss her terribly as I'm only able to see her every couple of months and only a week or so at a time. If she were here I could see her everyday.

Have any of you moved your spouse from one facility and long distance and if so how did it affect them? I want to do what is best for her but also what is best for us. Please share your experience, good or bad with me. thank you

Lee

Flag Reply Insightful Like Care

Leave a Comment

Comments

• Quilting brings calm
    Quilting brings calm Member Posts: 2,399
    500 Likes 1000 Comments Fourth Anniversary 250 Insightfuls Reactions

@abc123

I don’t know if abc123 will see this, she hasn’t been on here in some time. She moved her parents long distance close to her when her mom was in advanced stages. She used a long distance medical transport service. It cost several thousand dollars.

• jfkoc
    jfkoc Member Posts: 3,754
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions
    edited August 7

I know how much you miss your wife which leads you to this decision.

It will take a toll but at stage 6 you have to weigh out how important that is. Have you thought of moving there temporarily? Also consider how often you will actually be able to visit if you wife makes the move and have you located a facility?

• W.L.

Thank you and the others that have replied. I'm in the very early stages of exploring the possibilities of doing this. Many unanswered questions so far. I have spoken with two facilities here and both have suggested this move is not a good idea, I greatly appreciate their candor.

I'm not rushing into this, hence the post on here, it's a fact finding mission with what's best for her being the goal.

Thanks again, I'll keep coming back here to see what others have to say.

Lee

• W.L.

Well, as hard as it is I/we have decided to leave her where she is. Ii was advised by two local MC facilities not to attempt it. She is accustomed to where she is and the journey (over 700 miles) by plane or car would be hard for her. I had reservation anyway so not a great let down making this decision, but disappointing non the least. I love her and only want what is best for her.

Gods' blessings on all

Lee

• Bill_2001
    Bill_2001 Member Posts: 114
    Fifth Anniversary 100 Likes 100 Care Reactions 25 Insightfuls Reactions

W.L. -

Good decision to let her stay put. Stage 6 is too advanced for a move unless there is a very compelling reason. I know you miss her, but letting her stay put is better for her stability.

God Bless,

Bill_2001

• Elshack
    Elshack Member Posts: 238
    Third Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes

I am glad you made that decision. You can still visit her every couple of months. As others have said, their loved one in MC does not remember when you visit, how often you visit etc. I think you made the best decision for both of you, W.L. I hope your health continues to improve and glad that you have your daughters nearby.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more