Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

How to encourage spouse to get memory test done

I am interested in recommendations on how to encourage my spouse to get medically tested for dementia. Friends and family say I should "trick" her into getting tested. I have no good ideas how to arrange this.
She insists there is nothing wrong with her despite not being able to recall personal information such as birthdate and place of birth.
Tagged:

Comments

• charley0419
    charley0419 Member Posts: 354
    100 Likes 100 Care Reactions 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions

I would ask Dr if you can take test also or make like he’s giving you one. My wife till this day hates to go to Nurologist.

• charley0419
    charley0419 Member Posts: 354
    100 Likes 100 Care Reactions 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions

tell insurance company making you both do

• jfkoc
    jfkoc Member Posts: 3,754
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions
    edited August 12

The first part of the diagnosis it to rule out treatable causes. This part you can put off as a Medicare requirement.

From this point on it will be best not to discuss with your spose any problems you are seeing.

• Rugcutter
    Rugcutter Member Posts: 2
    First Comment

Thanks for the responses. Some good ideas. I should have added that she is outright resisting to go to a doctor and has not been to one in many years. She is in denial there is a problem and gets quickly irritated when me or family members suggest it. It has been suggested to have a doctor make a house call. I feel this could backfire as the doctor will be a stranger.

• JDancer
    JDancer Member Posts: 451
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes 100 Comments

She probably has anasognosia, which seems like denial, but it's not. The PWD truly believes nothing's wrong with them. Pointing out the problems will most likely lead to arguments and serve no purpose.

Tell her her health insurance requires a doctor visit. Let the dr's office know the situation in advance. The doctor should do some testing to rule out treatable possibilities- infection, vitamin deficiencies, tumors, etc. Mention the appointment once and then just get her ready and go on the day of.

As her memory declines, everyone will be a stranger.

Good luck. Dementia sucks.

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,710
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions

welcome to the forum. Best bet as JDancer said is to tell her it’s a new Medicare requirement to be seen and evaluated and if you don’t do it you will be disenrolled. Fake a letter if you have to have some documentation. Then absolutely tell the doc your concerns ahead of time. That way they can at least do the blood work to rule out treatable causes. The odds favor Alzheimers or vascular or an overlap between the two. Not many options for treatment except to treat anxiety and delusions as they arise. The drug options for Alzheimers itself are still quite limited. Whether it’s worth further evaluation by a neurologist is a debatable point, but maybe you can at least get this far. If not, you’ll be waiting for a crisis. Do you hold power of attorney for her? Address that too as you’re likely to need it in the future.

• Denise1847
    Denise1847 Member Posts: 835
    250 Care Reactions 500 Comments 250 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions

Solicit your PCP to do it as a part of a physical exam. That is what our doctor did and it went smoothly.

• jsps139_
    jsps139_ Member Posts: 171
    100 Likes 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Care Reactions

I remember how my DH put up a big fuss when his PCP asked him to see a neurologist. He got so mad at her. She said … you only have to go one time to get a diagnosis, and then you never have to go back if you don’t want to. She kept telling him … just once, just once, would you please go just one time? He finally reluctantly agreed, and she took care of making the appointment for him. He had all the tests done and received an Alzheimer’s diagnosis and never went back. His PCP handled his care from that point on.
    Geez - nothing about this disease is easy!

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more