Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Questions about end of life

JimLaMirada
JimLaMirada Member Posts: 1 Member
Hey everybody. This is my first post. I’m curious to get an idea if my mom’s sudden crying, lack of communication ability, not being able to walk, is truly a sign of the beginning of End of Life. She still eats well, has no ailments(besides the obvious), and the memory care unit is saying she’s sleeping well. Any advice or tips would be appreciated.

Comments

• Quilting brings calm
    Quilting brings calm Member Posts: 2,398
    500 Likes 1000 Comments Fourth Anniversary 250 Insightfuls Reactions
    edited August 18

I don’t think it’s imminent, although it’s definitely a decline and progression. It sounds like stage 7- which can still last an average of 1.5 to 2.5 years. @Crushed posts on here and his spouse has been in stage 7 for longer than that.

I tried to post a link to the dementiacarecentral.com website to show you their list of stages and duration. It wouldn’t post for some reason.

• CaliforniaGirl-1
    CaliforniaGirl-1 Member Posts: 125
    100 Comments 25 Likes First Anniversary 5 Insightfuls Reactions
    edited August 18

Can you ask her doctor?

I asked my LO's physician if he could tell us what we might expect over the next year or so, given his experience and my LO's age and physical condition and the course of her disease. He responded that while he could not predict the future and there were always exceptions, he could tell us some things that might occur in the next 6-12 months (or might not) . So maybe as long as you are only asking for information and not a prediction your mother's doctor could help.

The MC where my LO lives has a number of residents who are no longer verbal and don't walk and don't speak, but otherwise seem energetic and healthy. Some of them I have been seeing at meals and watching TV for more than 18 months. So I don't think it is imminent if there are no other physiological reasons.

My LO's doctor did mention that as the disease progressed some patients stop walking and transition to a wheelchair for a variety of reasons, and that the transition period can be a time requiring more supervision because of increased likelihood of falls, sores and other concerns from not moving.

• harshedbuzz
    harshedbuzz Member Posts: 4,348
    Seventh Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Insightfuls Reactions 500 Likes

This link takes you to ADAT, a scoring tool that can be used to determine if death is imminent.

FWIW, dad didn't tick all the boxes even hours before he passed.

Actively_Dying_Assessment_Tool.pdf (squarespace.com)

HB

• Jeanne C.
    Jeanne C. Member Posts: 799
    500 Comments 250 Care Reactions 250 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions

Hello and welcome. Here's a link to the new caregiver group where we save useful info for caregivers. You'll find things like staging tools and other resources that can be helpful in understanding where your loved one is in progression.

https://alzconnected.org/group/32-new-caregiver-help

• terei
    terei Member Posts: 566
    Seventh Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Likes

If your mother has not been assessed for hospice yet, I would certainly do that.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more