Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

post placement

Lee39
Lee39 Member Posts: 6
5 Care Reactions First Comment

Over the past 7 years I've been caring for my DH I've benefited so much from the advice and knowledge of these discussions. We celebrated our 60th wedding anniversary this year and next week I will be placing him in memory care. I am devastated and and would really appreciate hearing from those who have been through it advice as to what to do or not do to help cope during the first weeks alone.

Comments

• Dunno
    Dunno Member Posts: 47
    25 Likes 25 Care Reactions 10 Comments

Lee 39, I've been looking through old photos of our life together...it helps

• SDianeL
    SDianeL Member Posts: 875
    500 Care Reactions 250 Likes 500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions

talk to the facility about how long to wait to visit. They recommended 2 weeks. Ask them to send you pictures of him getting settled in. Stay busy. Make a list of the things you used to enjoy doing and start with one. Get some well deserved rest. If you are depressed, talk to a professional or ask your doctor for something to help. Remember you are still his caregiver just in a different role.

• Joe C.
    Joe C. Member Posts: 944
    Fifth Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

In believe placement is more difficult on the well spouse in most cases. I could not stand being home alone in the first couple of weeks post placement. My advice would be to try to have some plans with family or friends to get out of the house for lunch, dinner or just a visit. For me keeping busy and being around other people helped with the loneliness I was experiencing post placement. Good luck.

• Nowhere
    Nowhere Member Posts: 272
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Likes 100 Care Reactions 100 Comments
    edited August 30

Trust that you made the best decision for the two of you. You wouldn’t have taken these steps after sixty years unless necessary. Looking back at your posts, I saw that he’s facing more challenges than just dementia. You’re helping him by taking care of you. Plus, you’re very important in overseeing his care and remaining his wife. ❤️

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more