Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Phantom smells

I’m 63 and have had phantom smells for almost 2 years. My primary care doc dismissed them 1+ years ago as Covid-related. Since then I’ve begun having memory problems, definitely a personality change (much crying/depression), and difficulty problem-solving. My mom had EO and my dad some form of dementia. I had a PET scan yesterday and will have a neuropsych evaluation next month. Pretty sure I have EO.
But all that said, does anyone else get phantom smells? I get them every few days, sometimes just 1xday,other days they’re constant.

Comments

• Iris L.
    Iris L. Member Posts: 4,306
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

Welcome jjackson. No, I've never had a problem with phantom smells. Once in a rare while, I will have a flashback to a smell from my childhood, usually a food. These are pleasant reminiscences.

Major depression can indeed be a dementia mimic. Aggressive anti-depression treatment for at least 4-6 weeks is indicated if there is a question of depression. I hope you are getting a thorough evaluation.

Iris

• Janutt
    Janutt Member Posts: 130
    100 Comments 5 Insightfuls Reactions First Anniversary 5 Care Reactions

Welcome jjackson,

Hopefully you get a confirmation to what is happening to you. I do have smells that happen to me. The other day for instance I smelled a nice scent of citrus I’m sniffing everywhere and asking family members if they smelt this scent. No one did

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more