Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Struggling to get mother diagnosed

tiniray
tiniray Member Posts: 1 Member
I have Medical POA thank goodness, but for last 6 weeks her dementia became worse very rapidly daily. I tried to get her to see her doctor, but she refused. I obtained mental health warrant and she was taken to a psychiatric hospital. My mom denied being suicidal, confused, and said I was trying to force her into a nursing home. After 4 hours, they sent her home. 4 days later I check on her and she says she had a stroke. She agreed for ambulance to take her to hospital. They did CT and no stroke but her personality drastically changed. Now I’m the enemy! I spoke with nurse about her today and she was so angry. I said you are looking at me strangely do you know who I am? She paused for a minute then said “yeah, you’re my 🤬B daughter”. She has never called me that or cursed at me before it was so hurtful.
This hospital admitted her and finally doctor agrees with me that she needs long term skilled nursing care and cannot live alone. She’s declining so rapidly.

Comments

• sandwichone123
    sandwichone123 Member Posts: 741
    500 Comments 100 Likes Third Anniversary 25 Insightfuls Reactions

Oh my, tiniray! What a terrible week for you. I'm glad you are finally getting some help, but sorry it had to be so traumatic. Welcome to the board!

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,700
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions

welcome. You did the right thing and she’s in the right place. Hospitalizations are difficult, but the social workers can help you get her placed. Is she on a psychiatric ward? If not ask for a geriatric psychiatrist to consult and be very frank about the behavior changes you’re seeing. Medication regulation may help mitigate some of the aggressive behavior. I know it’s hard but don’t take any of the bad language personally.

• Anonymousjpl123
    Anonymousjpl123 Member Posts: 680
    500 Comments 100 Likes 100 Care Reactions Second Anniversary

Tiniray I am so sorry for what sounds like a very rough week to say the least. I don’t know what triggered her rapid decline, but it is not uncommon at all. Good you have MPOA. I would talk to the hospital social worker. They can often be very helpful with discharge planning. Have you thought about where she might go? It may be good to visit a few facilities, as they can also answer a lot of questions. Good luck people here have good firsthand advice, so ask is anything.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more