Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Lots of strangers coming and going at home

I started with in home care for my DH back in the summer. I'll be honest, I was so overwhelmed at the time, that just having a few hours to myself was amazing. I also had to hire contractors to do many things my husband use to do or that we would do together. I went through 3 cleaning services alone, not to mention the many aides that came in and out. Well I don't know why 2 nights ago I went to my jewelry box to look at my mom's engagement ring. GONE, along with every nice ring my husband had ever given me. 😪 We've been married 43 years. I have no idea when this happened. I know I was careless not locking these treasures up. Just passing along my loss in hopes that I can save someone else the heartbreak I'm feeling over losing these treasures from my DH and mom. It's a sad society we live in that someone would steal from a family when they know what we were going through. Be careful.

Comments

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,700
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions

I’m so sorry, it is indeed a cautionary tale. Can you report it to your insurance company at least? Although that has consequences too I know…

• marier
    marier Member Posts: 57
    Sixth Anniversary 25 Likes 25 Care Reactions 10 Comments

I am so sorry that happen to you! Thank you so much for posting. I too have lots for folks in and out of the home. My jewelry is now safely and securely stored away thanks to your post.

• Dio
    Dio Member Posts: 677
    500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes Second Anniversary

So sorry this happened to you. As if you don't already have enough to deal with. There are bad people, but they will get their comeuppance. Thanks for sharing your story. It's one of the reasons I didn't opt for in-home help.

• White Crane
    White Crane Member Posts: 843
    Seventh Anniversary 250 Care Reactions 500 Comments 100 Likes

I'm so sorry this has happened to you. What heartbreak to lose those treasures.

• Chammer
    Chammer Member Posts: 140
    Eighth Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes
    edited October 2

Medication is another thing that needs to be monitored and locked up especially if your LO is on any kind of narcotic pain med. An elderly aunt (no dementia) who uses narcotics for chronic pain was admitted to the hospital about 6 months ago and when she got home after about 10 days her med count was significantly lower than when she went in. She keeps a very accurate count due to being fired by her pain physician for missing pills a few years ago (a story too long for here.) She had to file a police report for theft in order to 1. Keep her physician and 2. To get her prescription refilled. (Only one family member and BF accessed the house while she was in the hospital so.... it's not always stranger danger)

• Caro_Lynne
    Caro_Lynne Member Posts: 342
    100 Likes 100 Comments 25 Care Reactions First Anniversary

So true, I used to assume (make an ass-out-of-me-and u) that everyone was in it for the right reason; unfortunately I found out the hard way that that is not always true.

• cdgbdr
    cdgbdr Member Posts: 23
    10 Comments 5 Care Reactions

I'm so sorry this happened. You should file a police report.

• Rosanne77
    Rosanne77 Member Posts: 28
    25 Care Reactions 10 Comments 5 Likes 5 Insightfuls Reactions

Thanks for all the kind words. I just hope no one else has to go through this. It's very disheartening. I truly wonder why some people get in this profession.

• Biggles
    Biggles Member Posts: 21
    25 Care Reactions 10 Comments 5 Likes

to hear of your rings and other precious jewellery disappearing is so sad. We do tend to trust that all the assistant people we have through our homes are caring, compassionate and honest. It’s so sad when we are proven wrong. I do have a light hearted story that I will share. My lovely mother-in-law suffered with ES VD lived on her own and was very attached to her jewellery so much so that, unbeknown to us, she popped them away in the back of the linen press. We visited, she was so very upset and said she had been burgled. The police were called, a report was made and the insurance company paid out $’s. It wasn’t until about 4 months later that we found the jewellery. Oh my goodness! The insurance company said the case was closed so nothing could be done. We laugh to this day about the incident.

It doesn’t help in your situation but maybe it will give you a smile. It’s a lesson for all of us to take care. Thankyou for sharing.

• ImMaggieMae
    ImMaggieMae Member Posts: 1,005
    500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes
    edited October 3

I’m so sorry you lost jewelry and things of value. This is a good reason to only hire caregivers trough agencies that license and bond all of their employees. We also have a couple of rooms in our home with locks on the doors. Anything valuable as well as medications is kept in those rooms.

• Jo C.
    Jo C. Member Posts: 2,916
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Likes

I am truly so sorry for your losses. We have a friend who has a lock on a closet door for storing valuable items, and a friend who puts such things in a locking file cabinet. It is such a blooming shame when such things happen because we know that it is someone who came in a position of trust who did the deed and we have no way to prove the specifics and it leaves us questioning just "who" including innocent persons. Very disheartening. Again; I am very sorry.

J.

• Rosanne77
    Rosanne77 Member Posts: 28
    25 Care Reactions 10 Comments 5 Likes 5 Insightfuls Reactions

@ImMaggieMay, I did go through a reputable agencies. It's just that they were last here in August, before my DH went into a MCF. So at this late date, I really can't be sure when it happened or who it might have been…aides, cleaners or tradesman. Locking door or cabinet is an excellent idea for those who still have loved ones at home. Thanks.

• Gingerooni
    Gingerooni Member Posts: 2
    Eighth Anniversary First Comment

I'm so sorry for you that you have had to deal with your husband and this dishonesty. Thank you for sharing this with us. I've been trusting everyone who has been coming in to work with my husband or work on the apartment. I will definitely put my valuables in a safe place. I wish you love and hope as you continue on this journey.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more