Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

have covid can’t visit MC

Stori
Stori Member Posts: 30
Third Anniversary 10 Comments

We had to move my dad who is 82 to memory care about three weeks ago because we couldn’t lift him to change him anymore. He’s in hospice with heart failure and the dementia. In the process my mom (80) and I (51) caught covid and it’s been a week but we are both still symptomatic and testing positive.

We are brokenhearted because we can’t go see him and don’t want him to think we’ve abandoned him.

He can’t remember for more than a few seconds.

💔

Comments

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,701
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions

I’m so sorry, but you are right to stay away. There will be some mercy in that he likely has no sense of time and therefore hopefully will be unaware of your absence.

• sandwichone123
    sandwichone123 Member Posts: 741
    500 Comments 100 Likes Third Anniversary 25 Insightfuls Reactions

His short memory means he won't realize you haven't been there. This is harder on you than it is on him.

• psg712
    psg712 Member Posts: 343
    100 Care Reactions 100 Likes 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions

It's really hard, but you need to stay away to protect your dad and the other residents and staff. My mom was in the hospital with covid last year. After spending the night in the ER with her, I caught covid too and ironically couldn't enter the hospital to visit her. She had no concept of how long it had been when I finally was able to see her.

Most facilities follow current CDC guidelines, which allow you to visit once you are clear of symptoms. You probably don't need to test again. Hospitals stopped retesting staff quite a while ago, realizing that some folks who felt fine were still testing positive weeks after recovery. But you will need to go by your MC's guidelines. Hang in there, I agree with sandwichone that it is tougher on you than on your dad right now.

• Anonymousjpl123
    Anonymousjpl123 Member Posts: 680
    500 Comments 100 Likes 100 Care Reactions Second Anniversary

So hard! But you are absolutely doing the right thing. You and your mom must be well to give him what he needs (love and some company), and to not put him at risk with covid. Wishing a speedy recovery for both of you, and a transition into good hands and a higher level of care for your dad.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more