Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Auto Response

I am a caregiver and I need some communication help. How do I respond to my client without making her feel like she doesn't remember. For example when she tells a story and she just told me I don't say anything about it. I usually ask the same questions or some what different to make her feel engaged. But what do I do if she says she needs to buy some new pants because hers doesn't fit her anymore. I automatically said we just bought pants. That was a mistake, any suggestions or advice to help with auto responses that include money. I don't want her to buy more when she doesn't need to.

Comments

• ​fesk
    ​fesk Member Posts: 434
    Legacy Membership 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Likes

I'm sure others will come along with good suggestions but could you tell her you'll take her shopping next week. Is there a chance she will then forget about it? Or maybe tell her you bought her some new pants as a gift and then bring a pair to show her?

• sandwichone123
    sandwichone123 Member Posts: 741
    500 Comments 100 Likes Third Anniversary 25 Insightfuls Reactions

When she says she needs to buy pants, you can talk about where she likes to buy them (where to go, not online), what color—distract while agreeing. Of course, you can't go buy them right now (over and over), but you can make sure you understand what she "needs." As you've noticed already, you don't have to come up with new ideas every time. Once you have a distraction that works, you can use it over and over.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more