I’m worried
Comments
-
Does your dad willingly accept your help? At this point, your focus should be getting as much information as possible regarding his finances for his future care (home care or facility). Do you have DPOA? You may want to contact an elder attorney to help assist you. I wish we had done so but I had no idea that they existed until i heard about it on this discussion board. I would not expect his GF to take this on alone. I wouldn’t expect you to be able to do it all alone either long term. One of the things i found eye opening going through this is that my mom’s PCP and even her neurologist were of no real help managing her symptoms after she was diagnosed. She was experiencing agitation, anxiety, confusion and delusions. The real help came from a geriatric psychiatrist who monitored it all and manages her medication . Do you go with him to his doctor appointments? If not, start going. My mom (87YO) was diagnosed about 8 years ago and it’s been a wild ride. She lived alone for a while and had care aide visits along with myself and my sister to help. She qualified for Medicaid so after her last hospitalization she was transferred to MC after a very short stint in AL (18 days). Her progression was slow and steady for a while and suddenly took a nose dive and went into crisis mode. The more info you have the better. I wish I had advice for navigating the emotional part. This forum has been a lifesaver for me and I find myself logging on every day for a daily dose of info and support. Wishing you all the best.
1 -
Welcome. One of the most important things to be done in the beginning is to see a lawyer. Someone needs to be appointed durable power of attorney! Hopefully he is still able to make this decision. I would not put it off. This will force some decisions to be made. If he wants to appoint his girlfriend and she is up for it (hopefully she will be honest with him) then you will just need to support them both the best you can. Dementia is a lot to take on. If she isn’t up for that, I think you should respect that. It’s important to have a plan B in place. If she is able to care for him until …. Then what happens next? Does he have the money to pay for memory care or assisted living (they are expensive)? If not, would he qualify for medicaid (another thing to discuss with a lawyer)? There are a lot of things to think about and plans to make in the beginning. It’s also important to learn all you can about dementia. Understand how to interact with him and what symptoms might be coming next will be helpful. I will attach a few resources.
1 -
So sorry about your Dad. As others have posted, see an attorney asap! Within 6 months of us seeing an attorney my husband could no longer read and understand documents or sign his name. Please don’t delay. Read the book “The 36 Hour Day” and come here often for info and support. We understand how you feel. You are not alone. 💜
0
Commonly Used Abbreviations
DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more
Categories
- All Categories
- 696 Living With Alzheimer's or Dementia
- 401 I Am Living With Alzheimer's or Other Dementia
- 295 I Am Living With Younger Onset Alzheimer's
- 19K Supporting Someone Living with Dementia
- 5.9K I Am a Caregiver (General Topics)
- 9.3K Caring For a Spouse or Partner
- 3.4K Caring for a Parent
- 247 Caring Long Distance
- 205 Supporting Those Who Have Lost Someone
- 13 Discusiones en Español
- 1 Vivir con Alzheimer u Otra Demencia
- 1 Vivo con Alzheimer u Otra Demencia
- Vivo con Alzheimer de Inicio Más Joven
- 12 Prestación de Cuidado
- 3 Soy Cuidador (Temas Generales)
- 8 Cuidar de un Padre
- 23 ALZConnected Resources
- View Discussions For People Living with Dementia
- View Discussions for Caregivers
- Discusiones en Español
- Browse All Discussions
- Dementia Resources
- 8 Account Assistance
- 15 Help
