The "Trial Period" approach
I posted yesterday about how we are putting my mom into an AL community in a couple weeks. She agreed to go there, thank god, mostly after we followed the facility's recommendation of telling her it's a 30-day trial period. This seems to be a common approach.
However, I feel like this is going to backfire on us. Unfortunately, her Memory Loss does not seem to apply to this 30-day thing! She is fixated on that. What do we do if she says she wants to leave after the 30 days? She is getting cold feet and already has said, "Maybe I'll give my 30 day notice on day one."
Comments
-
@lilacgirl
The trial period ruse might work, just be aware that 30 days might not be sufficient to settle in fully. Most folks seem to settle around 6-10 weeks. That said, my aunt who moved into an AL/MC hybrid around stage 4ish settled almost immediately and thrived. You might be pleasantly surprised.
Do you have the legal authority to make the decision stick? If so, a backup plan with a fiblet might be helpful. Once she's moved in and starts angling to leave, your home could become uninhabitable because of termite tenting or a busted sewer main that has you couch surfing with friends so she'll have to stay where she is for now.
HB2 -
I do have the legal authority, along with my brother, and I could use help with a long list of fiblets. :-)
0 -
Here are some ideas. Along with what hb suggested any kind of home repair issues that need to be addressed before she moves back, maybe she needs to have the bathroom remodel to meet her needs, the doctor has said she needs to stay a bit longer to build up her strength or you are very busy right now and don’t have the time to move her. My mom wouldn’t buy into any of that. We didn’t push the fib’s because she would have seen it as a lie and it would have made things even worse. We added medication and that helped. She also made friends and that helped. But she has still said many times “I just don’t understand why you would do this to me, it’s not right.” Even when she’s not saying it I know that is what she is thinking. It’s heartbreaking. If she becomes defiant and demands to leave you may need to consider a locked facility. I hope it works out.
0 -
Also remember that she probably doesn’t have the mental capacity to actually arrange a move back home. She may rant and rave but most likely will expect you to handle that move. Which you can’t do right now because of any of 25 things you can come up with.
2
Commonly Used Abbreviations
DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more
Categories
- All Categories
- 698 Living With Alzheimer's or Dementia
- 402 I Am Living With Alzheimer's or Other Dementia
- 296 I Am Living With Younger Onset Alzheimer's
- 19K Supporting Someone Living with Dementia
- 5.9K I Am a Caregiver (General Topics)
- 9.3K Caring For a Spouse or Partner
- 3.4K Caring for a Parent
- 247 Caring Long Distance
- 206 Supporting Those Who Have Lost Someone
- 13 Discusiones en Español
- 1 Vivir con Alzheimer u Otra Demencia
- 1 Vivo con Alzheimer u Otra Demencia
- Vivo con Alzheimer de Inicio Más Joven
- 12 Prestación de Cuidado
- 3 Soy Cuidador (Temas Generales)
- 8 Cuidar de un Padre
- 23 ALZConnected Resources
- View Discussions For People Living with Dementia
- View Discussions for Caregivers
- Discusiones en Español
- Browse All Discussions
- Dementia Resources
- 8 Account Assistance
- 15 Help
