Tomorrow’s the big day; wish us luck!
We are moving my mom into an AL near me tomorrow. (If you have not seen my previous posts, ever since my dad died in December she has been living alone 2.5 hours away.) She has been cooperative and somewhat willing to do this, which even one month ago I would never have dreamed possible. But still makes lots of comments like, “If I don’t like it, I will just move in with you” or “Maybe I’ll be moving back home in a week if I hate it.” So that’s a little unnerving. But hey, getting her there in the first place is half the battle, right?
I wrestle with lots of guilt and second thoughts. Like, maybe I pushed this too soon. But then she’ll say something so completely off the wall that it kind of confirms our reasons for doing this. Like last night she was sitting in her living room and thought she was already in her AL room….
Anyway. It’s a big day for us tomorrow and I appreciate any good vibes sent our way! Thanks!
Comments
-
Sending you well wishes and good vibes! I think we all wrestle with our decisions for our LO's even if we know we are doing the right thing. Getting her there is definitely half the battle. I'm sure she'll feel comfort knowing that she'll be closer to you now so you can see her more often.
0 -
Sending good luck and good vibes! Yes, just getting her there is at least half the battle, possibly 3/4 of it. Hope it goes as smoothly as it can!
0 -
Good luck tomorrow.
I hope everything goes smoothly for you both.0 -
Good luck tomorrow! Try not to second guess yourself. You are doing the right thing!
0 -
I hope everything goes well. Don’t sweat the small stuff during the move. Forgotten items can be purchased at the store or can wait til your next trip to her house. Set your expectations low, getting her there with basic necessities. The rest can be worked out later. 🤞
0 -
Thinking of you and wishing you well 💜
0 -
One day, one moment at a time. You are doing the right thing for your mom. It will be painful for both of you, but you will make it through.
0 -
Thinking of you! We understand that this is all very difficult. Do record things that your mom may have said or done. At times of doubt, it is helpful to read through to remind yourself that you are only trying to keep your mom safe.
1 -
I am new here, my mom diagnosed with cognitive decline about 1.5 month back
Coordinator told us to start process for LTC
I feel guilty and trying my best to keep her at home, but I don’t know how long I can do it..
Feeling same as you do, when your mom changed a lot , started behaving aggressively and weird
Probably, it’s only one way we can do to keep them safe
Good luck
My best wishes0
Commonly Used Abbreviations
DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more
Categories
- All Categories
- 698 Living With Alzheimer's or Dementia
- 402 I Am Living With Alzheimer's or Other Dementia
- 296 I Am Living With Younger Onset Alzheimer's
- 19K Supporting Someone Living with Dementia
- 5.9K I Am a Caregiver (General Topics)
- 9.3K Caring For a Spouse or Partner
- 3.4K Caring for a Parent
- 247 Caring Long Distance
- 206 Supporting Those Who Have Lost Someone
- 13 Discusiones en Español
- 1 Vivir con Alzheimer u Otra Demencia
- 1 Vivo con Alzheimer u Otra Demencia
- Vivo con Alzheimer de Inicio Más Joven
- 12 Prestación de Cuidado
- 3 Soy Cuidador (Temas Generales)
- 8 Cuidar de un Padre
- 23 ALZConnected Resources
- View Discussions For People Living with Dementia
- View Discussions for Caregivers
- Discusiones en Español
- Browse All Discussions
- Dementia Resources
- 8 Account Assistance
- 15 Help
