Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Just need to talk to my friends (221)

1…34689…13

Comments

  • ladyzetta
    ladyzetta Member Posts: 1,411
    Ninth Anniversary 1000 Comments 100 Likes 25 Insightfuls Reactions
    Member

    Lorita. Your in my prayers, you're strong and this will also pass. I think $20.00 is a good price to pay to get to town, if you only need it a few times. My DD likes the overnight oats, her and her DH have it often. I guess you eat it cold, that don't sound good to me, so I have not tried it.

    You need a good rest day. Where you don't call anyone, just sit and relax and take some deep breaths.

    Nanny. You must have tons of patience, to do kindergarten and homeschooling. I can see why you don't have much time to post.

    Jackie, will be missed by so many, she has not been well for a long time, my DD was saying how tired she looked. There is a lot of history about Jackie and Shadow, if anyone cares to read about them. They are The Big Bear Lake Bald Eagles. I will continue to watch the nest, hoping to be seeing Shadow. 😪

    Hugs Zetta

  • Lorita
    Lorita Member Posts: 6,724
    Legacy Membership 5000 Comments 250 Care Reactions 250 Likes
    Member
    edited August 11

    Thank you, Zetta. Things are a bit better today.

    I was also sorry to hear that Jackie did not survive. Are the babies still in the nest and being. cared for by Shadow? I wonder if Shadow will take a new mate.

    Overnight oats do not sound good to me either. I do like oats but like them hot.

    Hope you and your fur babies are well.

    Beth, your Mexican Sunflowers are so pretty. They look like velvet. Years ago we bought two plants called Mexican Petunias. They grew into.big.bushes covered with white or purple petunia-like flowers. Have never seen them again..

  • ladyzetta
    ladyzetta Member Posts: 1,411
    Ninth Anniversary 1000 Comments 100 Likes 25 Insightfuls Reactions
    Member

    Lorita. Yes the babies left the nest. Sandy and Luna, fledged the nest in late June, and I guess from what is being said, they left Big Bear Valley in early August. Im not sure if Shadow,will pick another because they have been together for 8 years.

    Thanks for asking, we are doing well, im still recovering from diverticulitis, I'm afraid to eat anything. We still have a Air Quality Alert, not helping with headaches. Hugs Zetta

  • harshedbuzz
    harshedbuzz Member Posts: 6,936
    Ninth Anniversary 1,500 Insightfuls Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments
    Member

    Lorita— I'm sorry you're missing Charles so acutely with all that is going on. It's heartbreaking to think of you dealing with all your recent misfortune on your own. A good partner is one of life's greatest blessings.

    I'm sorry the garage is being so difficult to work with. Sometimes such outfits will respond to social media if they maintain a Face Book, Insta or X presence. It is terrible that so many businesses make the assumption that everyone is not only competent/comfortable with tech but also has access to it. I about lost my mind when the company that mom deals with for her bi-pap machine delivered her a new one after the replacement for the recalled model died in under a year. It was a new manufacturer with enhanced options and the respiratory therapist they sent to deliver it dropped it on the kitchen table and said <brightly> "you can set it up through the app". I don't know what part of mom's 89-year-old face said "This woman is tech savvy" to this clown.

    Ron— I'm glad you have backup tank O2 on hand. Mom has 5 tanks in her garage at all times. I hope the A/C is back up and running properly.

    Zetta— Overnight oats seem ghastly to me. Gothic G probably wouldn't care for them either. It's a shame because the little parfaits they show in magazines with fruit and nuts look so inviting until you realize they're right out of the fridge. FYI— I heard that Starbucks will be rolling out the iconic pumpkin spice next Wednesday.

    __________________________________________________________________________________

    Roofer was here. We have a "shoe" that has developed a hole and another that is cracked. So, not crazy expensive but he warned of wear on the backside of the house. That kind of surprised me as I always think of the worst weather coming from the east/front of the house.

    The boys wanted frozen pizza for dinner. Easy for me.

    HB

  • sandwichone123
    sandwichone123 Member Posts: 1,385
    500 Insightfuls Reactions 500 Likes Fifth Anniversary 1000 Comments
    Member

    Lots of news and chat on this porch this week, and it's only Tuesday! I appreciate each of you and I talk about you to the people I know in 3-D. Here in NM we usually say kai oh tee.

    The discussion about multiple names reminds me of a story my dad likes to tell. My mom was an only child, and her name was Alice Ann. Usually pronounced Al-San by family. Her mother called her Ann. She and my dad met in college, and her name was Alice. She kept telling him stories in which her mother said, "Now Ann, you need to…whatever," so for a long time he thought she had a sister named Ann. :-)

    About baby food: when I was growing up my mom would buy us a jar of baby food fruit as a treat. Recently I tried a brand of overpriced yogurt, and it was packed with the creamiest baby-food fruit! Such a lovely throwback, but still not worth $3.99 a jar or whatever.

  • GothicGremlin
    GothicGremlin Member Posts: 1,624
    Seventh Anniversary 500 Likes 1000 Comments 250 Care Reactions
    Member
    edited August 12

    Iris - I have always had a difficult time with mushy foods. As a child I'd only eat shredded wheat or wheat chex as a breakfast cereal because they stayed crunchy longer in milk.

    And I promise not to rat you out.

    HB is right - no way would I touch overnight oats. 😄 And about those little parfaits? Pretty much a trifecta of creamy horror.

    Beth - I have an ice cream maker but we're going to use a food processor for the sorbet.

    Nanny - Good to see you! Homeschooling? I wish I had your energy.

    Goodlife - Wow, 23 days. That's just crazy. I'm glad you guys are headed for some cooler weather.

    HB - As a total splurge you should try Fran's chocolate syrup. Fran is a chocolatier in Seattle. Her chocolate is amazing - expensive, but worth it. Pour that stuff on ice cream and it's heaven. I have her chocolate cookbook, and the recipe for the syrup is it - along with a lot of other chocolate cakes, cookies, frostings, etc. (three separate links).

    Lorita - I'm so sorry things are so hard right now. I hope things start turning around.

    Zetta - Our air quality got better, but I hear you about the headaches. It really bothered my eyes too. There are so many fires right now.

    Sandwichone - I like your Alice Ann story.

    As for me? Our air quality is still in the "good" category. We'll see how long it lasts. Really, there are so many fires.

    Gym was good today - My trainer upped the weight on the earthquake bar by about 10 pounds - and I could do it! I'm so psyched. Then boxing, which also made me happy.

    I got my last narrative blog post up today. Now the only things that are left are a post about helpful hints, and one more "deep dive" about sometimes needing to be a good detective when things go awry in memory care. Then I'm done. It took me two years to gather up all of my notes, draft, edit, and post each one. I'm pretty psyched about that too.

    All in all, a good day.

  • ronald71111
    ronald71111 Member Posts: 1,926
    Legacy Membership 500 Care Reactions 500 Likes 1000 Comments
    Member

    Good morning

    Ron

  • eaglemom
    eaglemom Member Posts: 1,180
    Legacy Membership 1000 Comments 250 Likes 100 Care Reactions
    Member

    Good morning. Crazy hot here, again.

    For this morning 'what the heck' moment - I had an email from the company that hangs our Christmas lights. they are wanting to hang lights in August / Sept this year! Oh, we get a 10% discount for doing so. It's a frickin million degrees out, why would they want to hang lights? Unless the guy needs to keep his crew busy. Nope, not hanging ours.

    Not a good eye day - they are very sore. I've got a call into the doctor. Ugh.

    More later. Let's be safe everyone.

  • Lorita
    Lorita Member Posts: 6,724
    Legacy Membership 5000 Comments 250 Care Reactions 250 Likes
    Member

    Morning, Sandy, so enjoyed our visit. The word we were trying to think of is "claim". Thought of it this morning. Par for the course. Just thought of what might be weird about my post typing is I use my forefinger and my nails are longer than they have ever been so extra letters get added.

    Judith, hope you're feeling much better today.

    Zetta, I don't eat any kind of nuts or popcorn. No sesame seed buns. Nothing with seeds. If you eat squash or cucunbers, deseed them. No tomato seeds or corn. I love English peas but have stopped eating them. My doctor asked if I use pepper from a can or grind my own and told me to not eat pepper you grind yourself. I know this sort of goes against what they now recommend but if you have ever had diverticulitis, you will do anything to not have it again. If you have a doubt about anything with rough edges or hard and small, don't eat it. Good luck. I used to love nuts and popcorn but it is not worth it. It takes quite a while to recover, as you know.

    I hope Shadow finds another mate, sad for him. I know he feels lost without Jackie.

    Just felt something just below my ear- a tick! I have been outside this morning watering and feeding Billy so got it there. He had to crawl fast to get up there so quickly. Things are out there just waiting for some unsuspecting person or animal to jump onto. Girls have been grazing and standing in the pond but are coming to the barn. Right now it isn't terrible because of the breeze but is already 91. To be over 100 for days to come. No rain so glad ponds are full. People are making hay while the sun shines. They can cut one day and bale the next.

    Ron, hope you are feeling well today.

    Enjoy your day, everyone. GG, don't forget to ' bold'. Much easier for old eyes to read. I usually bold at the beginning but sometimes do it after I finish the post. I began to hold years ago after one of our friends said she had a hard time reading posts.

  • Carl46
    Carl46 Member Posts: 1,742
    500 Care Reactions 1000 Comments 500 Likes 250 Insightfuls Reactions
    Member

    Never had overnight oats but I'd try it once. Oatmeal cookies are good cold, so why not? Hot oatmeal is so good in winter, though. I make it with hot milk instead of water and add raisins and nuts. Add an apple and a cup of coffee, and I'm good until noon.

  • GothicGremlin
    GothicGremlin Member Posts: 1,624
    Seventh Anniversary 500 Likes 1000 Comments 250 Care Reactions
    Member

    Ooops, I'm sorry, Lorita. I'm going to go back and bold my last post. This one too. 🙂

  • Lorita
    Lorita Member Posts: 6,724
    Legacy Membership 5000 Comments 250 Care Reactions 250 Likes
    Member

    Thanks, GG, much appreciated. With my cataracts bolding really helps.

    Carl, I hydrate raisins and keep a jar of them in the refrigerator to add to oats. Have you gotten any of the rain the last few days? Getting dry here so we really need rain. Do you just eat the apple or do you add it to the oats? Diced apples might be good cooked in the oats. .

    Sandy. You said the deer and her baby and the raccoon and her three babies eat at the feeder. What else eats there? Hope you can get a picture for us.

    Need to go check on the bread that should be baking by now. Back later.

  • Iris L.
    Iris L. Member Posts: 5,692
    Legacy Membership 5000 Comments 1,000 Likes 500 Insightfuls Reactions
    Member

    Good afternoon.

    I eat hot oatmeal every day, even in summer.

    Iris

  • Carl46
    Carl46 Member Posts: 1,742
    500 Care Reactions 1000 Comments 500 Likes 250 Insightfuls Reactions
    Member

    Lorita, we got about 2" of rain last week in two installments, so things are pretty green. It's hot this week (97 at 5 pm) and no rain in sight, but we've been OK so far.

    I love fresh apples in season and usually just quarter them, cut out the core, and eat them raw. Apples and cinnamon are great in oatmeal though, and so are bananas and blueberries. Apples aren't really in season in summer, and now I'm getting my vitamin C from locally grown tomatoes and melons, and frozen blueberries. I eat bananas year-round for the potassium and because they taste good.

    Iris, eating oats year-round is a good idea. When I eat hot oatmeal at dawn, I'm not one bit hungry until noon. Beats the heck out of coffee break donuts.

    One of the ladies at my table at the senior center brought her cousin to lunch today, and Cowboy was right there to welcome her. He even offered to take her home with him. What a guy! 🤠 I hope that recently widowed eagle some of you were watching doesn't have as much trouble finding a new mate as Cowboy is having.

  • GothicGremlin
    GothicGremlin Member Posts: 1,624
    Seventh Anniversary 500 Likes 1000 Comments 250 Care Reactions
    Member

    eaglemom - Christmas lights in the heat of August?? Not sure what they're thinking.

    I'm sorry you're having a tough eye day.

    Lorita - All those ticks just freak me out.

    Carl - I'm with you on hot oatmeal, although I like it mostly just plain. I don't add milk, maybe just a little bit of brown sugar.

    Cowboy might have an easier chance if he stopped being such a creep. 😉

    Our weather is changing …. more smoke. I could see it in the sky this afternoon. I wonder how bad tomorrow's air quality is going to get.

    Today was a catch-up day. Lots of errands that I've been putting off but need to get done before the end of the week. Plus, a friend of mine from the Bay Area is coming up for a visit and will stay with us for a few days. It should be fun - we'll watch few movies, play board games, and have tasty ABC food.

  • Iris L.
    Iris L. Member Posts: 5,692
    Legacy Membership 5000 Comments 1,000 Likes 500 Insightfuls Reactions
    Member
    edited August 13

    Jackie the eagle's remains will be sent to the National Eagle Repository where materials will be made available to Indigenous Americans for ceremonial purposes.

    I'm going to the Natural History Museum tomorrow to see an exhibit on orcas whales and to the Butterfly Pavilion.

    Tonight is the night of the Perseid meteor showers, viewable between midnight and 5 am in areas of dark skies.

    Good night.

    Iris

  • ronald71111
    ronald71111 Member Posts: 1,926
    Legacy Membership 500 Care Reactions 500 Likes 1000 Comments
    Member
    edited August 13

    Good morning

    Carl, you mentioned cowboy in your last post and I was reminded about what one of the ladies said on one of my casino trips. I was told once the ladies at the center finds out I was widowed, I would need to run away if I didn’t want a relationship. Surely cowboy could get one where he could leave the others along.

    Ron

  • Vegan Tree lover
    Vegan Tree lover Member Posts: 5
    First Comment
    Member

    Try your oatmeal with Salsa. Its really good.

  • Lorita
    Lorita Member Posts: 6,724
    Legacy Membership 5000 Comments 250 Care Reactions 250 Likes
    Member
    edited August 13

    Morning, Vegan, I like your avatar - fits me except I'm not a total vegan but do love trees. Not sure about the salsa and oats though. Welcome to our front porch. Glad you posted.

    Already hot and windy this morning . I need to go to the mailbox but may wait until she runs today or may wait til morning when it's cooler. Procrastinating again, Sandy.

    Carl and Ron, is.Cowboy really creepy or just desperate which could be why the ladies aren't responding to him?

    Eagle, guess that guy is trying to get ahead of the rush. But, it is too early, at least would be for me. Sorry your eyes are bothering you- hope they are better today. Mine are super dry today. Heard on the news ragweed season is coming soon.. Never bothered me much so hope it doesn't this year. Mike had the farm sprayed but the spray truck is so big it can't get close to fences or around trees.

    Called Bryon to see if he could mow really short and clear out dry things north of the house. Had to leaves message but he will call when he can.

    Iris, that is good about Jackie in that her feathers will be used for something good. Sad though.

    Back later.

  • jfkoc
    jfkoc Member Posts: 5,361
    Legacy Membership 5000 Comments 1,000 Likes 250 Insightfuls Reactions
    Member

    7 days in bed made it downstairs today.

    Eagles

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6MudlMvZYt4

  • Lorita
    Lorita Member Posts: 6,724
    Legacy Membership 5000 Comments 250 Care Reactions 250 Likes
    Member

    Judith, what has been wrong? Did you see a doctor? Glad you're able to be up and around some. Take it easy and don't overdo

  • jfkoc
    jfkoc Member Posts: 5,361
    Legacy Membership 5000 Comments 1,000 Likes 250 Insightfuls Reactions
    Member

    Lorita…stomach thing.No,I did not see a Dr. I neededtomeet today about leasing land to run a couple hundred cattle.

  • eaglemom
    eaglemom Member Posts: 1,180
    Legacy Membership 1000 Comments 250 Likes 100 Care Reactions
    Member

    Good afternoon.

    A better eye day. I started off with a warm compress on my eyes for about ten minutes then did my first dosage of medicine. At least it didn't burn. They just feel tired, if that makes sense.

    Lorita I had a thought about your car. Is yours a 2024 just like what they called you about? Did you find out any details? I'm thinking the 2027's will be out soon, if they still have a new or almost new 2024 they are willing to trade for yours it might be worth thinking about. All of the warranty items would be brand new - that's a thought there. Or see if they want to make a deal on a 2025 for you. If it works to your benefit its something to think about.

    jfkoc that's one wicked stomach bug. Be careful to not over do it. Plus if your out, the heat will really zap your energy.

    I've seen those overnight oats but never had them. DH had oatmeal for breakfast today. He likes pecans & dates in his oatmeal with a touch a cinnamon.

    Dryer is beeping, back later.

  • Lorita
    Lorita Member Posts: 6,724
    Legacy Membership 5000 Comments 250 Care Reactions 250 Likes
    Member

    Soooo,I'm up in the air again. This is turning out to be another hot tub fiasco. Decided I would call the dealer to see if they had the parts (wiring). I was told they could not even order them until they know what the insurance company (AFR) is going to do. With calls to the adjuster in OKC who called me two days ago and calls to the dealer I.learned the dealer has not e-mailed pictures of damage and estimate to the adjuster. This was from the adjuster they tracked down in the field for me. Talked with the service dept who thought it had been done. When Amy, the adjuster,gets the information it won't take long to complete the claim. Then, they can order wiring. I was told it would take four days to get it. Asked how long it will take to install it but no one knows without talking to the tech.

    Eagle, this is the second car we have bought from the dealer (one used, one new) and 25 years of service to our PU. However ownership has changed three times. No more cars from them. It is the only dealer in the closest town so is convenient. If I get another car it will probably be a Dodge or.Jeep.

    Why don't people do what they should and follow through? I wss beginning to see the decline of good work ethics when I retired. I don't want to lease a car for $75 a day and let it set. A dealer with 125 cars on the lot should have enough loaners for customers.

    Bryon just called. Having problems with his mower but hopes they can find out what is wrong tomorrow.

    .Have you all ever heard the saying "when it rains, it pours"? It is flooding here! Sorry for the continuing rants.

  • Carl46
    Carl46 Member Posts: 1,742
    500 Care Reactions 1000 Comments 500 Likes 250 Insightfuls Reactions
    Member

    Sorry for the floods, Lorita and Judith. I've been there.

    I think I would classify Cowboy as a creep, an unpleasant person. He can't or won't sit down and talk to a woman about the weather, rats eating wiring, or anything other than his desire to take her home and engage in sex with her. And he argues with her refusal. Most people find that attitude obnoxious, similar to a person at a party who won't stop trying to sell you something.

  • Lorita
    Lorita Member Posts: 6,724
    Legacy Membership 5000 Comments 250 Care Reactions 250 Likes
    Member

    Carl, couldn't/shouldn't the senior center do something about Cowboy's actions? I would think he !makes the women uncomfortable.

    Time for bed - grocery delivery in the morning around 7.

    Mint, if you are still reading, please post and let us know how you are. We miss you.

    Good night

  • GothicGremlin
    GothicGremlin Member Posts: 1,624
    Seventh Anniversary 500 Likes 1000 Comments 250 Care Reactions
    Member

    Vegan Tree lover - Hmmmm. I'm not sure I could do salsa with oatmeal. It's hard to imagine.

    Judith - I hope you start to feel better soon. 7 days in bed doesn't sound like fun.

    eaglemom - I'm glad you're having a better eye day.

    Lorita - I'm with you - why don't people do what they say they're going to do? I hate it when I have to hover over salespeople (or anyone, really) to get them to do what they're supposed to do.

    Quiet work day here on my end of the porch. One big milestone though - my blog about Peggy's Alzheimer's is done. I made the last post today. I feel really good about it. I feel like it honors her, and I hope it's useful as a resource for others. I've loved Karyn's edits too.

  • Carl46
    Carl46 Member Posts: 1,742
    500 Care Reactions 1000 Comments 500 Likes 250 Insightfuls Reactions
    Member

    Congratulations, GG! Writing a book is a major accomplishment, whether online or on paper. 👨‍🎓

    Lorita, it's a matter of degree. People do form close relationships at the center, and there is no rule against dating. Women just decline Cowboy's advances and gripe about him to one another. Part of it is, I think, that they recognize Cowboy isn't very bright and truly doesn't know how to make friends with people in a way most of us would find pleasant.

    I laugh at Cowboy, but I'm kind of sorry for him too. He could get what he wants if he ever thought about anything else. There are lots of single women in our age cohort.

  • ronald71111
    ronald71111 Member Posts: 1,926
    Legacy Membership 500 Care Reactions 500 Likes 1000 Comments
    Member

    Good morning

    Ron

  • Lorita
    Lorita Member Posts: 6,724
    Legacy Membership 5000 Comments 250 Care Reactions 250 Likes
    Member
    edited August 14

    Morning,Carl,you would think he would finally get the message, wouldn't you?

    Just finished my morning duties plus going to the mailbox to pick up this week's mail and a pkg left at the main gate. Thought I was finished, then Billy appeared for his feed. It's breezy this morning. .Never cools down at night.It was still in the upper 80s at 10 last night.

    Congratulations, GG,.on finishing your blog about Peggy. Big accomplishment.

    Stay cool.

Commonly Used Abbreviations


DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more