Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Just need to talk to my friends (221)

13567…13

Comments

  • Lorita
    Lorita Member Posts: 6,724
    Legacy Membership 5000 Comments 250 Care Reactions 250 Likes
    Member
    edited August 5

    Bad news about my.car. Give Judith the trophy! They have to take the dash.apart to get to the problem! He said they do have loaners but all are out. He's going to.check. I need to bet back to the doctor to get another test. I'll call to see if it is really necessary. Might get the car by Monday. Guess I.could drive the PU in but not sure.how reliable it is.

    About Darwin - he is confused and forgetful a lot of the time. She sleeps a lot so he feels safe in going out for a while. Every day I tell him to.not.go out in the heat but either he forgets or thinks he will be ok. HB is right. He.has been a farmer all his life bucking bales.of hay when he was six and them heavier than he was. Hard to.change an 87 year old.

    Never have heard that about sunflowers

  • Iris L.
    Iris L. Member Posts: 5,692
    Legacy Membership 5000 Comments 1,000 Likes 500 Insightfuls Reactions
    Member

    Good morning.

    I was thinking the same thing about Darwin. But he seems to be set in his ways.

    I'm doing better today. I didn't get out yesterday, perhaps today.

    Carl, Reading Buddies sounds like a useful program. Will uou have training for it? Will you work in the classroom or after school?

    Iris

  • jfkoc
    jfkoc Member Posts: 5,361
    Legacy Membership 5000 Comments 1,000 Likes 250 Insightfuls Reactions
    Member

    Carl…what a great program.

    Lorita…I suggest finding some feral cats. Somebody with a barn nearby will have some. Do not bring them inside!!! Also stop food supply like birdseed and treats for Rusty.

    —as long as the vehicle remains parked, provides a safe nesting space, and offers nearby sources of food. Because cars provide dark, warm shelter and nesting materials like insulation, mice only leave when forced out by regular vehicle movement, engine heat cycles, or a lack of resources. 

    What did they chew up last time? If you do not make a change I fear you will have continuing problems.

  • Carl46
    Carl46 Member Posts: 1,742
    500 Care Reactions 1000 Comments 500 Likes 250 Insightfuls Reactions
    Member

    Reading Buddies is done during the day, usually in two chairs side by side in the hall outside the classroom. RB has been going on for 30 years, and test scores show the children who receive this help do better in school. I have had four hours of training so far, have been given a tote bag of supplies, and will receive another hour of training plus some books before I start work. I really will be doing two things: Reading to children and letting them read to me; and giving lots of positive feedback.

    Studies show that children of poverty receive two negative comments from caregivers for every positive comment, while children of professional parents receive six positive comments for every negative. My job is to give lots of specific praise, whether for hard work, achievement, or for noticing that the original of the picture in the book was drawn with a crayon. Whatever it takes to let the child know he/she is intelligent and can learn.

    The children love RB. They get the undivided attention of an adult for 30 minutes a week and are the envy of their friends. I originally thought the children might be shamed for needing help, but not so. There is a math buddy program too, since math competence is almost as important as literacy.

    I went to get fingerprinted this afternoon as part of the vetting process. The school district doesn't allow just anyone to work with the children. Anyway, I'm looking forward to it.

  • Carl46
    Carl46 Member Posts: 1,742
    500 Care Reactions 1000 Comments 500 Likes 250 Insightfuls Reactions
    Member

    Many years ago, Gene Hackman and Lee Marvin made a gangster movie called Prime Cut. It was set in Kansas City and its environs, and there was a climactic scene in which Hackman chased Marvin across a field of sunflowers with a combine.

    My only negative experience with sunflowers was when I inherited a workplace computer from a woman who ate a lot of sunflower seeds while she worked, and I spent part of an afternoon cleaning seed hulls out of the keyboard. I know the sunflowers are probably not plotting against us when they face one another at night, but are asking one another where the sun went, but I still don't trust them. All plants are tricky. Half of the plant hides underground doing who knows what, and the blooms just stare without saying anything.

    A tree fell on my car once, just as I was driving past. Coincidence? I think not! 🤔

  • sandwichone123
    sandwichone123 Member Posts: 1,385
    500 Insightfuls Reactions 500 Likes Fifth Anniversary 1000 Comments
    Member

    Good evening all, I'm enjoying reading about the risky plants.

    Beth, yes I live in Albuquerque, which, at 5,000 feet elevation is classified as high desert. We used to get about 12 inches of rain a year, but we've been in drought for years and our water table is dropping.

  • Goodlife2025
    Goodlife2025 Member Posts: 490
    250 Care Reactions 250 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Comments
    Member

    I have been unable to contribute the past couple of weeks as DW's progression has required some adjustments here and I am behind in so many ways but I just wanted to chime in on the sunflowers. Beth a beautiful picture and you lifted my spirits so thanks -

    Everyone Sunflowers are not creepy - they are a perfect food for bees; literally. There is no other plant that provides more of what they need to prepare for the coming winter. It's hard to believe when we have had 23 straight days over 100 degrees BUT winter is coming and my bees need the sunflowers. 🌻

  • Iris L.
    Iris L. Member Posts: 5,692
    Legacy Membership 5000 Comments 1,000 Likes 500 Insightfuls Reactions
    Member

    Goodlife, do bees hibernate?

    Carl, I know you will be a great asset for the children. Children definitely need a thorough foundation in reading. I was an adult literacy tutor in the 1990s. I tutored two men who were high school graduates who each tested at the second grade reading level. Both of them drove for a living and could read signs, but were otherwise severely impaired in everyday life. Sadly, they did not finish the free program. Personally, I believe they were embarrassed.

    I wish you much success with your students!

    Sandwichone, my travel club is planning a trip to Albuquerque next year for the Hot Air Balloon Festival. I plan to be on that trip!

    Lorita, Judith makes some excellent points. I don't know about the feral cats, though, when you already have cats. If you let them out separately for about 10 minutes, would they come back? I let my Sammie out for about an hour in the morning , then again in the evening, often more than an hour. My HOA has feral cats here and they have chased the rats away, so I've been told.

    I've read that a car needs a long drive of about 30 minutes once in a while, about every month. When you go into town is it about a 30 minute drive? Any news about your car?

    Iris

  • ronald71111
    ronald71111 Member Posts: 1,926
    Legacy Membership 500 Care Reactions 500 Likes 1000 Comments
    Member

    Good morning

    Ron

  • BethL
    BethL Member Posts: 1,484
    Legacy Membership 500 Likes 1000 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions
    Member

    I also have some volunteer sunflowers under my bird feeder. The goldfinches come and sit on the flower heads and pick the sunflower seeds out to eat. Sunflowers feed wildlife and humans! And look pretty too!

  • harshedbuzz
    harshedbuzz Member Posts: 6,936
    Ninth Anniversary 1,500 Insightfuls Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments
    Member

    Good morning. Very humid here after a couple waves of downpours yesterday. All of my windows are covered in condensation on the outside. It's supposed to dry out and warm up later, but the humidity will remain. Yuck.

    Lorita— It's probably not a good idea for Darwin to lock Donna in unless he's inside with her. If she were to start a fire or he were to have a medical emergency outside, things could get ugly for him. A motion detector mat at the doors that alerts his phone and a video baby monitor might provide a better safety net.

    Oof, pulling the dashboard is kind of the Hail Mary of auto diagnostics and can really drive up costs. I bought my car as a formerly leased vehicle. What I didn't know was that the lessee had installed and then removed a court-ordered breathalyzer device. The removal was done shoddily and the ignition failed over time as taped connections broke. Nightmare stuff.

    I hope the warranty picks up the costs. Given that this isn't a manufacturing defect or normal wear & tear, they might now. I know Toyota didn't cover it when it happened to my friend's minivan. The comprehensive on their auto policy did. YMMV.

    Judith— It's funny, I sometimes see ads online for Pedialyte as a hangover cure. I mean, that makes sense, I guess.

    Carl— We did something similar to Reading Buddies in high school. Kids from NHS volunteered once a week during lunch/PE to go to a nearby elementary and tutor kids who weren't having an easy time one way or another. I enjoyed it; "my" kid was amusing.

    The number of clearances required to work with kids is a real change from when DS was in elementary. I was known to have the complete set from working with BSA, so teachers liked to twist my arm for field trips and the like. I distinctly recall a high ropes adventure course trip in which I was assigned 5 boys with high functioning ASD who weren't much into "team building" and a kid with hemophilia who was a dare devil. In the middle of it all, as-yet-undiagnosed dad kept calling to ask me how to roast a chicken.

    Goodlife— Welcome back. I hope the adjustments make the day-to-day easier for all involved.

    Iris— It's a shame your students didn't stick with you. Adult literacy programs tend not to be as effective as those for children. When an otherwise bright and independent adult can't read, often there's a specific learning disability like dyslexia in play that requires very specialized instruction to overcome. The best outcomes happen when remedial instruction using something like Orton-Gillingham or Lindamood Bell is started before age 10. DS attended a lab reading school for a couple of years after he was diagnosed with dyslexia and they had several adults as old as 50 in their clinic program.

    Will you be going up in a balloon on your next trip? They do balloon rides near where DS works. I have friends who've done it. I'll pass.

    I hope all have a pleasant day.
    HB

  • harshedbuzz
    harshedbuzz Member Posts: 6,936
    Ninth Anniversary 1,500 Insightfuls Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments
    Member

    I forgot to mention, during the morning deluge yesterday, the office ceiling leaked. This is the same spot as the hall shower leak but a greater quantity. I suspect it's from around the stack vent which is in the same location. Plumber suspected the same. New game plan: a roofer will come to sort that out on Tuesday and then we'll circle back to plumbing.

  • Lorita
    Lorita Member Posts: 6,724
    Legacy Membership 5000 Comments 250 Care Reactions 250 Likes
    Member

    Iris, you will love Albuquerque in October and the Balloon Fiesta for sure. We love Albuquerque and have been there a few times. The first time we were lucky in that we happened to go during the Fiesta We went out the next morning and watched the balloons bring inflated, then the ascension. It wss beautiful. They say the people in the balloons can hear what is happening and being said on the ground and if you light a mstvh.or candle it won't blow.out. We did not take a ride just watched. Not sure but there may be a night ascension...

    HB,D wouldn't lock the door if he was outside, just inside in case she might leave if he was sleeping.

    Sounds like a good thing for you, Carl. Good luck.

    Goodlife, I hope things improve for you and your husband, I know.how hard it can be.

    . Sandwich, my BIL lives in the Texas Panhandle and they have water problems, too. Not really feeling up to.par today-:pushing water, cranberry juice and yogurt.- no.pop or gatorade.

    They are working on car to find out all that is wrong. Hopefully, my insurance will.pay what is over my deductible, again. Thanks, HB, for telling me about that coverage. They detailed.it first so it is.nice and clean. They did find evidence of mice but not the mice. I think I may have found something that may work so will try it - BugMDVamoose. My.BIL used something similar to deter squirrels and cats.

  • jfkoc
    jfkoc Member Posts: 5,361
    Legacy Membership 5000 Comments 1,000 Likes 250 Insightfuls Reactions
    Member

    Lorita…..https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G6H_crz-P94

    https://www.facebook.com/reel/27794502643549869

  • Iris L.
    Iris L. Member Posts: 5,692
    Legacy Membership 5000 Comments 1,000 Likes 500 Insightfuls Reactions
    Member

    Good afternoon.

    HB, many young hs graduates today are functionally illiterate. There is a Yale freshman who sued because she cannot read. Are all of these young people with learning disorders? Or is it something more dire? My friend who is my age reads poorly, because she learned via the whole word method. In our adult literacy program, we taught phonics. Many of the other adults did well with out one-to-one tutoring, so I suspect they did not have learning disabilities, at least, not serious learning disabilities.

    HB and Lorita, the Albuquerque trip will be in 2027. I have to sign up early becsuse the seats go fast and I dont want to be shut out. I went up in a hot air balloon in Kenya, so that is checked off my bucket list.

    I went out yesterday for the first time. I wore a mask and didn't cough.

    Iris

  • eaglemom
    eaglemom Member Posts: 1,180
    Legacy Membership 1000 Comments 250 Likes 100 Care Reactions
    Member

    Good afternoon all.

    HB I had a thought for you, Mike Homes. Last night I was trying to find something on the TV and came across Mike fixing a house because no one else could fix it's issues and thought of you! Personally I think the guy is so full of himself his head might blow off. He does think his way is the only way.

    Iris I'm glad that you were able to get out. I imagine that felt good, to leave the apartment for a bit. Have the cats forgiven you for leaving them yet?

    Lorita I'm sorry your car has had such issues for you. That's scary about Darwin and his wife. This heat is brutal. I'm glad those girls stopped when they saw her in the field. I imagine your heart rate was racing when he called.

    GG how is the air quality? Your workouts sound amazing. I'll admit to being a tad jealous, but I don't do a darn thing about it. I will say I do like my vibration plate. That seems to help with swelling somewhat.

    Carl you'll be great reading with the kiddo's. You'll probably enjoy it more than they will.

    Goodlife just pop in when you can. We all certainly understand.

    Ron are you starting to feel better? Getting your place set up how you like? It's time for you to recuperate from all that's been going on in your life.

    These eye drops are a full time job. It's not a bottle you just use - that would be too easy. You have to draw the solution up from the vile then place it in your eyes. I'll just complete it and get started doing something and the alarm will go off that its been 2 hr and time to do it again. My eyes are very sore / sensitive today. This is only day 5 of 8 weeks, yikes. Overall my eyes don't feel as dry, but they are getting moisturizer every 2 hr. I'll keep going and see how long I can do this.

    I certainly can't sit at the computer for long bits of time - which is probably a good thing!!! Let's be safe everyone.

  • Lorita
    Lorita Member Posts: 6,724
    Legacy Membership 5000 Comments 250 Care Reactions 250 Likes
    Member

    Carl, are you getting rain?. Hope so.

    Good night, everyone

  • Carl46
    Carl46 Member Posts: 1,742
    500 Care Reactions 1000 Comments 500 Likes 250 Insightfuls Reactions
    Member

    We got some pretty brisk wind and rain this afternoon, Lorita. There is flooding in the low places tonight.

  • GothicGremlin
    GothicGremlin Member Posts: 1,624
    Seventh Anniversary 500 Likes 1000 Comments 250 Care Reactions
    Member

    Yeah, those sunflowers… they creep me out. And now I find out that they face each other in the night? Oh, no. No, no, no. I'll take the corn row maze any day.

    Lorita- I like dogwoods too. The Seattle arboretum has some beautiful ones.

    I'm so sorry about your dash problem. that sounds like an absolute nightmare.

    Judith - I'm really thinking about it (the novel). I actually have an idea for a cozy mystery series set in the Castro in San Francisco. I think I can capture the vibe of that place. I lived there for such a long time.

    eaglemom and HB - the air quality has not improved. It was 156 today. Right now it's 128 - unhealthy for sensitive people. It might start to clear tomorrow…. They arrested a suspect in the Spokane fire. He confessed, but his attorney is going for a competency hearing.

    HB - Red curry shrimp with noodles sounds delicious.

    eaglemom - I work out so much because I'm fighting my genetics. I think it's important to find something you like, and do that. If I could box all the time, I would. There's something so ….. satisfying, about it.

    Sandwichone - I've only been through Albuquerque once, but I really liked it. I enjoyed traveling through New Mexico.

    Goodlife - I am 100% great with saving all sunflowers for the bees. Bees need more food.

    Iris - I'm glad you're doing better and not coughing! We're wearing masks because of the air quality. Thankfully we have air purifier indoors.

    I'd holding out for tomorrow to be better for our air quality. Speaking of workouts, I didn't go to the gym today because it was just so bad out there.

  • Iris L.
    Iris L. Member Posts: 5,692
    Legacy Membership 5000 Comments 1,000 Likes 500 Insightfuls Reactions
    Member

    Eagle, I feel for you with the rigid schedule of eyedrops. I completed an 8 week course of eyedrops , but even at twice a day it was challenging.

    Regarding my cats, everyone asks me if they are mad at me for leaving them st thd pet hotel. On one of my trips I asked a retired veterinarian that specific question. He said they don't have that sensibility. I believe him. My cats want to be around me, perhaps a bit more than usual, but they always want to be around me and be underfoot. They do not seem angry or irritated or upset. They settle right back into their routine.

    I'm the one who has to settle myself after a long trip, because my legs hurt so much from walking and stair climbing on the bus, and I don't get enough sleep because we usually have to get going early in the mornings. Travel is rough on me, but I'm not going to stop.

    Iris

  • ronald71111
    ronald71111 Member Posts: 1,926
    Legacy Membership 500 Care Reactions 500 Likes 1000 Comments
    Member

    Good morning

    Ron

  • harshedbuzz
    harshedbuzz Member Posts: 6,936
    Ninth Anniversary 1,500 Insightfuls Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments
    Member

    It's pretty out, but we're still under a heat advisory. This makes it hard for mom to get out an walk which she needs to do.

    Lorita— Glad to hear Darwin wouldn't lock Donna in. How do the daughter's feel about the situation?

    Mike Holmes is new to me. He sounds like the Dr. House of construction. The plumber will be sending a tile guy in after the roofer's been here. He's the 4th guy to come out for the en suite leak and the second for the hall bath. Worst case scenario my nephew-in-law gives it a go. He's an hour away and has his own very active business with 3 plumbing teams and he's dealing with his dad who has metastatic lung cancer and is very head strong.

    Have you ever tried coconut water for hydration? It's much easier on the stomach than Gatorade.

    Gothic G— I hope you get a break in AQI soon. For me, the eyes sting well before I notice the breathing issues.

    I agree that it's critical to try different exercise types to find the one you love. Or at least like. I'm working on getting back to the hilly trails in the park for some forest bathing.

    Iris— I would suspect a number of the kids who graduate with poor reading skills are unidentified dyslexics. Depending on whose numbers you use, the figure is between 10 (International Dyslexia Assn) and 20% (Yale School of Medicine). Numbers can be influenced by language; DS had a classmate who was dyslexic in English but didn't seem so in either Hebrew or Yiddish. There's a lot of dyslexia in DH's family but they equated it with stupidity and weren't open about it. Each of DH's brothers has at least 2 dyslexic kids but when DS was diagnosed nobody said anything. The brighter ones were able to compensate around it for a long time. One niece was identified in the admission testing at USAFA and the other as a grade student at the University of London. The kids, as adults, are the ones who clued me in.

    DS and his cousins came up in the "whole language era", the ones on DH's family struggled with it and the ones on mine did well despite not being any brighter or attending "better" schools. DS got phonics but we had to pay for it.

    __________________________________________________________________

    Pizza and laundry today. I need to slip out to hit the ATM and pick up a bottle of wine for dinner tomorrow night.

    I hope all have a safe and pleasant one.
    HB

  • Lorita
    Lorita Member Posts: 6,724
    Legacy Membership 5000 Comments 250 Care Reactions 250 Likes
    Member

    Morning, really nia outside now but that will change. We may get a shower this afternoon but not.holding my breath. I watered the plants and filled the water tank. When I went back outside Billy was there for his feed. Didn't have enough outside so took out the unopened 50 lbs. and fed him then put some of the 50 lbs.in . another sack. I have a big trash can out by the gate where I keep.his feed. Should have.put more in a second sack.but didn't and made my side hurt when I.put probably 30 lbs. In. It's ok now.

    Had a grocery delivery.Dr. sent a script to WM and it's on its way. Couldn't get the two orders combined. I feel fine so may not take it- will test first The. calves of my legs ache this morning for some reason.

    HB,the daughters worry about Darwin and we have talked about it..They want them to be safe so maybe between the three of us it will be oksy.You know they are happy together in their home and if they had to.go to AL or NH neither of them would be happy and would.not.live long.. I have seen that happen when someone has to.leave their farm To live elsewhere.He and I talk at least twice each day and if something goes wrong we are only five minutes apart. Back later.

  • Lorita
    Lorita Member Posts: 6,724
    Legacy Membership 5000 Comments 250 Care Reactions 250 Likes
    Member

    HB, I may try coconut water. I found some that I guess is pineapp!e flavor. Which do you prefer? I really like grape Gatorade but it has a lot of sugar, at least it is sweet.

    The news just.showed what data centers look like. I haven't been up to see the progress they have made but I know it will irritate me. Maybe it's better I.don't see it

  • harshedbuzz
    harshedbuzz Member Posts: 6,936
    Ninth Anniversary 1,500 Insightfuls Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments
    Member

    @Lorita I don't care for plain coconut water myself. The pineapple flavor isn't too bad. And some brands taste better than others. I find it's better for hydration for me; Gatorade is like "drinking battery acid" per DS's old pediatrician.

  • Iris L.
    Iris L. Member Posts: 5,692
    Legacy Membership 5000 Comments 1,000 Likes 500 Insightfuls Reactions
    Member

    Good afternoon.

    I didn't fall asleep until 6 am, then slept until noon.

    I liked plain coconut water, the one time I tried it.

    HB, the causes of the low literacy rates are yet undetermined, as far as I know, but then, I'm not searching.

    Lorita, data centers will have a need for many electricians and other contractors to service them. Electricians may be pulled from houses, apartments, office buildings and other infrastructure to service the data centers, because they will pay more money. Be aware of coming shortages of electricians.

    Iris

  • Carl46
    Carl46 Member Posts: 1,742
    500 Care Reactions 1000 Comments 500 Likes 250 Insightfuls Reactions
    Member

    Good evening!

    I hear thunder, so the predicted showers and thunderstorms will be here shortly. That will add to the thunderstorm we got yesterday afternoon and make for a pretty good soak. We have had a pretty nice summer this year so far. Not TOO hot, and rain every week or so.

  • Lorita
    Lorita Member Posts: 6,724
    Legacy Membership 5000 Comments 250 Care Reactions 250 Likes
    Member

    I think I heard thunder an hour or so ago but only one time.. Some rain north and 60 miles south. Thermometer on porch said 100 this noon.

    My calves began to ache yesterday Muscle aches, big muscles mostly thighs, shoulders are symptoms.of hantavirus.The.only reason my calves ache could be getting up and out of PU but that was on the 4th, I think. It feels like my calves felt after the first night of bowling. Scares me but no other symptoms. Possible exposure was ,57 days ago, just within the 8 weeks

    My doctor won't be in until Monday and I only have.the.not so reliable PU. I need Charles. If I was worried he would.hug me and say everything would be ok. Checked today and it sounds like the car is torn apart - seats, carpet, etc.

  • Iris L.
    Iris L. Member Posts: 5,692
    Legacy Membership 5000 Comments 1,000 Likes 500 Insightfuls Reactions
    Member

    Lorita do you have fever? I think you should start taking your temp twice a day and record it, looking for a significant rise.

    Do you have any gastrointestinal symptoms? How are you eating? Has your appetite changed?

    Will the doctor be in on Monday?

    I recall you just lifted a heavy feed sack for Billy— might that have affected your calves?

    Iris

  • Lorita
    Lorita Member Posts: 6,724
    Legacy Membership 5000 Comments 250 Care Reactions 250 Likes
    Member

    Iris, I take my temp at least morning and evening, sometimes more often The only temp.over 98 is in the evening which is normal for people and only.up to 98.2. My temp runs about 97.7. No GI problems eating well, no.change.in appetite. It was just this morning when I.lifted the feed. I do remember day before.yesterday and today I carried a couple.of buckets of water to the plants after I put two in the wheelbarrow and pulled it from lot to yard. I.bet that's the cause.for the legs aching. .Doctor will. be there Monday. I feel.okay. just the leg ache.. Thank you, Iris, I.hadn't thought about the water.

    Darwin just came over.. His daughter took him to a.new doctor this morning and he walked out.. A while ago he started to give his wife her medicine and couldn't find it. He tried to call his daughter but couldn't so came over here. I called her and she had put a second set of medicine in a drawer so I told.him. I waited a few minutes and called to see if he found it and he was out fixing fence. A calf got through a fence. At first I thought it was Donna but must have been a calf. He told me when they.got.home from the doctor his front door was wide open. Had not found one cat. Guess the door didn't latch. They live right by the road.

Commonly Used Abbreviations


DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more