Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Just need to talk to my friends (221)

12467…13

Comments

  • Iris L.
    Iris L. Member Posts: 5,692
    Legacy Membership 5000 Comments 1,000 Likes 500 Insightfuls Reactions
    Member

    Lorita, you carry quite a lot of heavy bags. Have you thought of doing exercises, such as biceps curls, to strengthen your arms? You can do heel raises to strengthen your calves.

    Iris

  • Lorita
    Lorita Member Posts: 6,724
    Legacy Membership 5000 Comments 250 Care Reactions 250 Likes
    Member

    I should do that, Iris.Guess I can find them on the internet. I was quite a lot stronger, and five years younger, when I was feeding and caring.for the girls.

    Are you feeling better after a few days rest? Hope so. Good night. I have to wake up at 1 a.m. to take my medicine. Has to.be taken 12 hrs.apart and I didn't take the first one until 1 p.m.

  • GothicGremlin
    GothicGremlin Member Posts: 1,624
    Seventh Anniversary 500 Likes 1000 Comments 250 Care Reactions
    Member

    Yay!!! Our air quality is back into the "moderate" category. It's still high - in the 80s, but at least it's much better. I can hear the hoarseness in my voice, due to the smoke. Hopefully everything continues to move in the right direction.

    Lorita - I'm with HB - gatorade is like battery acid. Also, I highly recommend the heel raises. A big plus? They feel really good as you're doing them.

    Carl - I'm glad you're getting some good weather.

    I don't have much to report - I've been avoiding going out because of the smoke. Maybe tomorrow …..

    The alleged arsonist has been captured, and I saw this article yesterday. He's a piece of work.

  • ronald71111
    ronald71111 Member Posts: 1,926
    Legacy Membership 500 Care Reactions 500 Likes 1000 Comments
    Member

    Good morning,

    Thunderstorm got to us yesterday, tree limbs over power lines, knocking out apartment electricity. This reminded me I need a large canister of oxygen for occasions like this. Power came back on at 11pm, so only had to use one of my 1 hour 20 minute canister.

    Need to go get fishing license for next weekend trip. Probably a couple more shorts and t shirts.

    Ron

  • harshedbuzz
    harshedbuzz Member Posts: 6,936
    Ninth Anniversary 1,500 Insightfuls Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments
    Member

    Good morning, all. It's foggy here. We had a little rain overnight so now it's just icky. Sun and heat later.

    Iris— That sleep pattern seems so frustrating. I'm kind of amazed that you have cats that would allow you to sleep until noon. That would never happen with any of the felines who ever graced my home. They didn't appreciate the concept of "weekend" either.

    Carl— It sounds like you're having a streak of normal seasonal weather which is great. Our summer got off to a blistering start with little rain when it finally arrived.

    Lorita— I'm sorry the hantavirus worry looms large for you. It seems that if you had the muscle aches/pain as a symptom of illness, other muscles would be involved giving you that hit-by-a-truck feeling that one gets from flu. Since it's just calves, it's likely you overworked them and didn't stretch after.

    When we did PT with mom, it was surprising to me how weak her muscles were in the context of how active she was. Once PT identified the areas of weakness, she explained how groups of muscles work together and how weakness in one area might not be where the symptom is. She worked mom's glutes, quads, hamstrings, calves and ankles and then stretched everything after to prevent soreness. If I don't do a targeted workout, I do heel raises while I'm brushing my teeth or squats waiting for the kettle to boil.

    This is a good senior/beginner seated leg workout (except for the sit-to-stands which are linked to longevity). Mom's PT approved it as safe to do at home alone.

    I wonder if you need more electrolytes than Gatorade provides. You might be low on magnesium which is pretty common. Good sources are beans, nuts and seeds so you might now be hitting a daily goal. I take it (magnesium glycinate) nightly, and it seems to help with pain, cramping and even sleep. DH's cardiologist likes it for occasional heart flutters.

    Ron— I'm glad you had tank O2 on hand. Mom's is in her garage (6 tanks), and I always worry that she'd think to get it and actually manage it if needed. I'm not even sure she could read the gauge or open one.

    Is your grandson busy with football practice? Kids here start sports/band camps Monday. It seems it's always brutally hot those 2 weeks.
    ________________________________________________________________________________________

    I'm up early and have laundry going already. I started with my sheets so I can get the bed remade before I run out of steam like last week. I should probably dust too. My baseboards are getting furry.

    I bought some cantaloupes at the farm on the way to the brewery yesterday. Her tomatoes disappoint (too woody) and her prices are high, but the melons are the best available locally. I picked up a 4-pack for the BYOB tonight as we're having Thai; my dinner mates tend to order on the spicy side.

    I hope it's an easy day for everyone.
    HB

  • eaglemom
    eaglemom Member Posts: 1,180
    Legacy Membership 1000 Comments 250 Likes 100 Care Reactions
    Member

    Good morning.

    I had to have a talk with myself yesterday about my every two hour eye drops. I needed to change my perspective because I was just down right cranky about it. I had an appointment and needed to run some errands & couldn't make it happen with the schedule. It feels like I've been doing these forever, today's day 6 of 8 weeks. I've changed my attitude and I'll just work around the eye schedule.

    Lorita didn't you say you had AAA tow your car? Don't they offer loaners cars? Or even your auto insurance policy usually has that also. It might be worth looking into.

    Need to water before its a million outside. I hope everyone has a wonderful day. Let's be safe.

  • Carl46
    Carl46 Member Posts: 1,742
    500 Care Reactions 1000 Comments 500 Likes 250 Insightfuls Reactions
    Member

    Ron, I don't think Missouri residents over the age of 65 have to buy fishing licenses. Or small game hunting licenses.

  • Iris L.
    Iris L. Member Posts: 5,692
    Legacy Membership 5000 Comments 1,000 Likes 500 Insightfuls Reactions
    Member

    Good morning.

    HB, I close my bedroom door at night to keep the cats out because the allergist said I was 4+ allergic to cat dander when I was tested years ago. Also, if one jumped on my bed, it would immediately wake me, and I already have enough trouble sleeping.

    Your video about Pilates for the knees was "unavailable".

    I will have to get back into exercise. I haven't exercised consistently for several months since I have been traveling. I can tell my body is weaker.

    Ron, could you get a small generator to power your O2 during a power outage? Are you flagged by your facility as needing special attention in regards to the O2 during power outages?

    The weather here is mild today.

    Iris

  • MariaN26
    MariaN26 Member Posts: 29
    25 Care Reactions 10 Comments 5 Insightfuls Reactions 5 Likes
    Member

    Hi All,

    Yesterday was our 50th Anniversary. Today my DH and I are celebrating our 50th Wedding Anniversary with our daughters, son in laws and grandchildren. We are going out to dinner and then back to our house for cake. He does not really understand what we are celebrating but is excited there is a celebration for something. I kept the celebration to just the 12 of us because I didn’t want him overwhelmed. Today I have cried a couple of times. It is tougher today than I thought it would be. I am so happy to have him here to celebrate this milestone with but sad at the same time. Just needed to tell someone that would understand.

  • MariaN26
    MariaN26 Member Posts: 29
    25 Care Reactions 10 Comments 5 Insightfuls Reactions 5 Likes
    Member

    That is beautiful! It looks so peaceful and relaxing. We are going to the beach for a week and are staying at an ocean front condo. Can’t wait to be by the water. Have a great time!

  • Lorita
    Lorita Member Posts: 6,724
    Legacy Membership 5000 Comments 250 Care Reactions 250 Likes
    Member
    edited August 8

    Hi, Eagle. I checked with AAA.They offer a 15% discount on Rental cars. I guess I will need to rent one since the dealer doesn't have any and I need to see my doctor Monday. Guess I could drive my PU.but.not sure about it and would not want it to.stop on me in this hot weather. Seems like everything happens on weekends so can't contact my auto insurance company. Almost all of the Hertz places are closed until Monday.

    This morning when I talked with Darwin he thought we had lots of rain and wind last night. He was also talking about getting some little calves back with their moms. Told him to contact the guy who leases. I think he was confused because a calf did get out yesterday.

    HB the video also says not available for me.

    Happy 50th anniversary, Maria to you and your husband. I hope you have a nice time tonight. Good that he is able to celebrate and is excited about it. Glad you posted.

  • BethL
    BethL Member Posts: 1,484
    Legacy Membership 500 Likes 1000 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions
    Member

    Happy anniversary, Maria, and welcome to the "front porch." May you have a blessed evening tonight!

  • Lorita
    Lorita Member Posts: 6,724
    Legacy Membership 5000 Comments 250 Care Reactions 250 Likes
    Member
    edited August 8

    it's 100 and feels like 115. Lots of the girls are standing belly deep in the pond. They know what they're doing. Stormy just went went out for a few minutes- back in after five minutes.

    Carl, just tuned to Rawhide. Guess I will always think of you when I watch it.

    I ordered zero sugar cranberry juice. It is horrible!!

    Welcome to our porch Marie. There is always an empty rocker for someone.

  • ladyzetta
    ladyzetta Member Posts: 1,411
    Ninth Anniversary 1000 Comments 100 Likes 25 Insightfuls Reactions
    Member

    Hello Porch Friends.

    I try my best to keep up with the readings but posting I'm not so good at.

    Lorita. Can you call a Uber, to come take you to the doctor. Maybe your doctor will have a suggestion, mine always ask me if I need help getting to my appointments. Darwin sounds like he is getting very confused, its good that you keep in touch with each other. But still not safe.

    You do so much lifting, that's probably the reason your legs are sore. I like the idea of the heel raises and the sit leg lifts, hopefully i can remember to do those. Thanks HB for suggesting those.

    GG. The air quality here in ,Boise Idaho is real bad. Today it is 175. We have been doing our best to stay inside, and keep the fur baby's ❤️ in as much as possible.

    Maria. Welcome to the Front Porch.

    Carl. Reading to children and spending time with them is a very special and thoughtful thing to do. When my DD was in school, people came and did that, she wanted them to read to her also, because they got to go out and sit in the hall. She felt left out.

    EM. Sorry your have issues with your eyes. But like you said you only have two weeks to go. Hang in there your almost done.

    Iris. You love to travel and its good for you, I'm not a traveler, but I wish I was. We have 3 cats in our house. My cat Sammy sleeps with me and the other 2 sleep with my DD and her DH. I would hate to think what they would do if we shut them out of our rooms. I know allergies can be a problem.

    Im doing well, the only thing going on with me is my doctor is changing my sleep meds. I have been on the same ones for so long they don't seem to be working. I started my new ones a few nights ago so I'm still waiting for a change.

    Hugs to all Zetta

  • ladyzetta
    ladyzetta Member Posts: 1,411
    Ninth Anniversary 1000 Comments 100 Likes 25 Insightfuls Reactions
    Member

    EM. I see your only on day 6 of 8 Weeks. Sorry I misread the time. I guess I missed out what's going on with your eyes?

    Be strong. Hugs Zetta

  • Lorita
    Lorita Member Posts: 6,724
    Legacy Membership 5000 Comments 250 Care Reactions 250 Likes
    Member

    Zetta, no Ubers out here but there is Katz. I hadn't thought about that. Good idea. Thanks. Glad you're doing well. Stay inside and be safe.

    Have you all ever heard of cottage cheese pudding? I had not. Saw it on QVC when they were showing Kitchenaid mixers. Cottage cheese , cocoa powder, honey for sweetness. She added a banana and protein powder. I may try that. No Kitchenaid blender though.but a smaller version. Won't hurt to try.

  • Lorita
    Lorita Member Posts: 6,724
    Legacy Membership 5000 Comments 250 Care Reactions 250 Likes
    Member

    Didn't go out and fill water tank or water plants this morning. Hope I can in the morning. Didn't see Billy in the lot but wasn't his feed day.

    My legs quit aching about 3. I was sitting in the recliner and there seems to be a hump about where my thighs ached so changed chairs. Probably a coincidence but whatever it was makes me happy.

    Think I may go to. bed early.but have to take my medicine about 11:30. I took it earlier than I should have this morning.

    Good night- you all sleep well

  • ronald71111
    ronald71111 Member Posts: 1,926
    Legacy Membership 500 Care Reactions 500 Likes 1000 Comments
    Member

    Carl, you were right I don’t need fishing license. I was aware disabled vets received some perks, but my letter was in storage somewhere and it was easier to just pay the $10, which I didn’t have to.

    Iris, before I moved here I had a late tank that would last through the night is I lost power. I’m going to check with the VA and get it back. I was told since so many was on oxygen here that we were top priority getting power back, so I guess 11pm wasn’t to bad.

    After we went to Walmart eating out was the next trip and I am now missable. I should by now know I can’t eat as much as I did with my achalasia of esophagus, but I did anyway and will be paying for it.

    Ron

  • MariaN26
    MariaN26 Member Posts: 29
    25 Care Reactions 10 Comments 5 Insightfuls Reactions 5 Likes
    Member

    Our anniversary dinner went better than expected. DH had a good time and was actually engaging in conversation a little bit. We got great pictures. When we got back to the house and we were having cake, I took our wedding album out. He began to remember some things about our wedding. We were all so happy to see him remembering and excited to talk about it. Thank you all for letting me share this with you!

  • Lorita
    Lorita Member Posts: 6,724
    Legacy Membership 5000 Comments 250 Care Reactions 250 Likes
    Member

    Rom, what kind of fish do you like to fish for and do you use a rod and reel or cane pole? Charles loved to fish for bass in our pond and always used a rod and reel. A cane pole is my speed. I can put a worm on the.hook but not a minnow. Can't take a fish off the hook either. Have fun fishing.

    Marie, so glad things went well at your anniversary dinner.I know it made you happy that your husband remembered things about your wedding 50 years ago. Good day for all.

  • GothicGremlin
    GothicGremlin Member Posts: 1,624
    Seventh Anniversary 500 Likes 1000 Comments 250 Care Reactions
    Member

    HB & Iris - The video isn't available for me either. Bummer, it looked good.

    You know, I don't always think about electrolytes (and I should). Last time I did blood work, all was well. I'm going in near the end of the month for my annual stuff, and I'll make sure to ask about it.

    eaglemom - I'm sorry about those drops. You're a better person than I am. You had a talk with yourself, I'd just whine at myself.

    Hi Marie - I'm glad you and your DH had a better than expected anniversary. That's really great. Happy Anniversary!!

    Zetta - I hear you about the air quality. It's been a nightmare. We're back into the "moderate" category today. I'd prefer "good", but I'll take "moderate." I skipped one of my gym days because I really didn't want to go outside. When it's that bad, it just feels oppressive.

    Lorita - Cottage cheese pudding? Ummmmm, eww. 😄 Three food textures that are very difficult for me, all rolled up into one (cottage cheese, pudding, and banana). I know, I'm a picky eater. I've gotten better over the years!

    I hope you sleep well tonight.

    We're just getting back to normal, weather-wise.

    I found an article on Entertainment Weekly about the 25 best cyberpunk movies of all time. That's a sub-genre that both me and my s.o. really like, so we perused the list. Blade Runner (my all-time favorite movie), was listed at #1, and then we discussed why Escape From New York is not cyberpunk, and shouldn't even be on the list. That led to some rabbit holes - but at least they were interesting rabbit holes. Now I want to go rewatch a bunch of those movies.

    I think I'll go into the gym briefly tomorrow to make up for my missed day this last week.

    Tonight we had some tangerine sorbet for dessert. OMG, it was so delicious.

  • Iris L.
    Iris L. Member Posts: 5,692
    Legacy Membership 5000 Comments 1,000 Likes 500 Insightfuls Reactions
    Member
    edited August 9

    Zetta and GG, the woman who owns the travel company was in Boise snd Spokane this week. She took a different travel club up there. They raved about the area, didn't mention smoke.

    Ron, one of my travel companions ordered of the children's menu, because the portions are smaller. Might that work for you?

    GG and Lorita, I love all puddings and bananas, but not cottage cheese.

    Maria, 50 years, that's wonderful! Happy Anniversary!

    I have decided, that I just have to change my ways. I just get too tired by the evening. I have to mske sure that everything I want to do is done by 4 o'clock. Then I can rest a bit, prepare dinner and then rest some more before getting ready for bed.

    Lorita, what is Katz?

    Good night.

    Iris

  • Carl46
    Carl46 Member Posts: 1,742
    500 Care Reactions 1000 Comments 500 Likes 250 Insightfuls Reactions
    Member

    Thank you for sharing your good time, Maria. I know you will cherish the pictures and memories.

  • ronald71111
    ronald71111 Member Posts: 1,926
    Legacy Membership 500 Care Reactions 500 Likes 1000 Comments
    Member

    Good morning,

    Iris, yes, child menu is perfect for me health wise, but my eyes and brain says; you gotta be kidding.

    Lorita,

    I will be using a rod and reel and a cane pole. I grew up with a cane pole and still love to feel the pull when you have one, but rod and reel is today’s fishing favorite. Back home I would mainly fish for white pearch, here I really don’t know. It’s probably been at least 20 years since I’ve been fishing.

    Ron

  • BethL
    BethL Member Posts: 1,484
    Legacy Membership 500 Likes 1000 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions
    Member

    Tangerine sorbet - oh my, yum!

    I made homemade ice cream yesterday - just plain Jane vanilla but it was good.

    The week briefly in review: we received 1.7" of rain, mowed the lawn twice, went to a Board meeting for the town's historical society, purchased, husked, cut off the cob, cooked and froze 2 dozen ears of corn. The corn will be nice to have this winter. I plan to process more; ideally I'd like to have 24 packages in the freezer which means we could have this delicious corn twice a month. It is much tastier than frozen or canned corn from the grocery store.

    This coming week will be busy too, with a dr. appt, dentist appt, historical society archiving meeting, lunch with friends (Friday and Saturday). In between those things I'll garden, mow and go to the gym.

    We had rain and apparently some wind overnight. One of my Mexican sunflowers blew over or was uprooted due to wet soil and shallow roots; not sure which. My potted cherry tomato blew over too but no harm done.

    Mexican sunflower (Tithonia) below. They are TALL (around 6') and they branch out to be very wide as well. They are lovely and the hummingbirds love them.

    IMG_2258.jpeg IMG_2256.jpeg
  • Iris L.
    Iris L. Member Posts: 5,692
    Legacy Membership 5000 Comments 1,000 Likes 500 Insightfuls Reactions
    Member

    Good morning.

    Beth, you're right, homemade plain Jane vanilla ice cream is so good!

    You're also right about fresh corn. You will enjoy fresh corn all winter long.

    The Mexican sunflowers are beautiful. I hope you get a log of hummingbirds.

    Iris

  • harshedbuzz
    harshedbuzz Member Posts: 6,936
    Ninth Anniversary 1,500 Insightfuls Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments
    Member

    Good morning. Sunny and hot at the moment but not quite as humid as yesterday. Yesterday was brutal in terms of humidity. We had a few showers, but it was so humid the pavement didn't dry off for hours.

    Eaglemom— The eye drop regimen seems onerous— mixing and instilling drops every 2 hours is like caring for a newborn. Whine away. I can't even get mom to do her daily eye compress or wrist splints, so I have all the respect for someone who is compliant no matter the amount of grumbling.

    Iris— I'm sorry the video wasn't available. I have it downloaded, so maybe it's been taken down since then. This is also a good one— it's quick, all seated and aimed at seniors & beginners but still gives a good work out.

    Maria— nice to meet you. I'm so glad you joined us on Lorita's porch.

    Happy Belated Anniversary. It's nice you got to celebrate the day in a way that your DH could enjoy.

    Lorita— Is Katz a taxi or car service? It might be simpler to schedule a ride than rent a car. I've used Enterprise in the past (my auto policy's preferred provider) and it's been great; they bring the car to meet me at home or the body shop.

    Cottage cheese is having a moment. We were talking about it last night at dinner. I'm being inundated with recipes that include it. A big piece of this is people looking to increase their intake of protein which is critical for those on GLP-1s. I made some egg bites with cottage cheese, rolled oats and wild blueberries that were like dessert for breakfast. I might make another batch.

    Zetta— When did fire become weather? I hope your air improves soon. One of my dinner-mates got back from Idaho Wednesday after visiting family. They're about 100 mi ENE of Boise. He said the air seemed much worse than the AQI numbers would suggest. We got close to 500 last summer for comparison and the skies were a rusty-orange some days.

    Gothic G— Yes to any citrus based dessert. Was the sorbet homemade or did you buy it.

    Beth— What sort of things does your historical society do? The one here maintains a library of books, records, pamphlets and ephemera dating back to the 1600s. They also maintain a couple of historic building in the borough and do tours and such. My favorite thing they do is a 6th grade field trip during which they take the students around and share the local history with them. DS found it fascinating.

    That plan is a stunner. So pretty.
    _____________________________________________________________

    DS got his schedule for next semester. In the past, he picked his classes with an advisor. The nursing program assigns them. We're still waiting on delivery of his textbooks and uniforms. Classes start the 26th.

    I had an awkward encounter with my aunt. She's the one whose boyfriend, for lack of a better word, passed last Monday. Mom wanted to send a small flower arrangement to her sister. Mom doesn't make phone calls unless someone is holding a gun to her head, so she delegated the task to me. I ended up calling 4 places before I found someone who both answered the phone and would deliver. The woman was lovely and promised to deliver same day.

    I finally got her to call her sister. My mom's not great with sick people or anything death-related and it took me days to get her to call. They had a lovely chat and auntie shared that she'd heard from several people and that 2 of her friends and my cousin "Ginnie" had sent flowers. FTR, "Ginnie" is named after my mom. Mom asked if she got flowers from her. Auntie said no which upset the pair of them.

    I called the florist to investigate, and the lovely woman swore they'd been sent out. She called her driver who said he'd hand delivered to auntie's condo and described her. As I suspected, auntie confused her "Ginnies". Auntie claimed that the florist misspelled mom's name, that mom was always "Ginny" citing references from the 1950s. This was news to me. I asked mom about it; she said she uses both. Huh? Pick a lane woman. It reminds me of my bestie's ex. He's a junior who went by his middle name with immediate family and childhood friends. The day they met, he was with a man he knew from high school who referred to him by the middle name. Everyone else— from college or professionally use his first name— even his second wife. At parties, you can always tell the context of how others met/know him.

    I hope all have a weather safe day.
    HB

Commonly Used Abbreviations


DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more