New here. Husband (67), to other husbands who understand the 5-year deficit
Comments
-
Here’s my story from when I knew it was time to place my DW
It’s June 16 2026. Why do I mention this date? Pamella (my DW who is in stage 6 needing assistance in showering, dressing, toileting and medication), has had a few tough days and I have too. She has been agitated or crying most of the days and I am not sure how I can take care of her agitation or crying except to give her meds to calm her down and then she just gets comatose and dozes off. This is not what I want for either of us. I am at he point where every caretaker faces and that is I can’t help her as much as a memory care facility can. I am so mad at myself and feeling like I am letting her down but she has no idea even who I am and what care I have given her. I have an appointment with an elder care attorney next week to go over our trust to make sure everything is in line to stay qualified for Medi/Cal. I will also tour some 6 bed facilities in the next few weeks and try to decide which one will be the best for my dear Pamella and get on a waiting list. I love her so much and only want the best for her in what short life that she has left. It hurts my heart so much and I feel so guilty of letting her down even though I know I have done my best.
I found a place that I liked and my DW was placed on July 1st this year. Besides the guiilt the first couple of weeks, I then had to deal with being home alone. Everything in the house reminded me of her so I eventually took down all the pictures of her on the wall, repainted our bedroom a new color, got rid of fancy bedspread and replaced with a more masculine bedspread and moved her clothes to a spare bedroom closet. It’s been almost 3 months now and I’m finally getting used to my house now, My DW has acclimated well in her new home and likes it too. I visit her 3 times a week for a couple of hours each day. This seems to work for me as she really doesn’t remember my visits. I’m starting to get out more and socializing also. I still miss the women I married and I guess I’m in pre stage 8 grieving for my loss of her. Each day and week gets better for me and I know my DW is getting the care she needs. Hang in there my friend.4
Commonly Used Abbreviations
DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more
Categories
- All Categories
- 698 Living With Alzheimer's or Dementia
- 402 I Am Living With Alzheimer's or Other Dementia
- 296 I Am Living With Younger Onset Alzheimer's
- 19K Supporting Someone Living with Dementia
- 5.9K I Am a Caregiver (General Topics)
- 9.3K Caring For a Spouse or Partner
- 3.4K Caring for a Parent
- 247 Caring Long Distance
- 206 Supporting Those Who Have Lost Someone
- 13 Discusiones en Español
- 1 Vivir con Alzheimer u Otra Demencia
- 1 Vivo con Alzheimer u Otra Demencia
- Vivo con Alzheimer de Inicio Más Joven
- 12 Prestación de Cuidado
- 3 Soy Cuidador (Temas Generales)
- 8 Cuidar de un Padre
- 23 ALZConnected Resources
- View Discussions For People Living with Dementia
- View Discussions for Caregivers
- Discusiones en Español
- Browse All Discussions
- Dementia Resources
- 8 Account Assistance
- 15 Help