Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Toileting care for bed-bound LO in MC

My father is bed-bound with late-stage Alzheimer’s in MC. He needs complete assistance with diaper changes, repositioning, eating and drinking. He sometimes resists care and screams and scratches during diaper changes, especially when being moved, so changing him really requires two people.

My concern is that he sometimes appears to be left in a wet/soiled diaper for many hours, possibly 10–12 hours. He is generally changed after breakfast and again after dinner, when I am present. I’ve also found meals left in his room when he cannot feed himself because staff are busy with other residents.

The MC director claims diaper checks happen six times a day (twice per AM/PM/night shift) but staff have been honest with me, saying some shifts leave him unchanged when he is sleeping or being difficult.

I understand that MCs are often understaffed and that someone who resists care is more difficult to manage. I want to move him to get him attentive care, but I can’t tell if all MC facilities are like this.

For those with a bed-bound LO:
-Have you experienced staff delaying changes for many hours because your LO resists care?
-Has anyone found that home care with dementia-experienced caregivers provides better care for someone at this stage?

I’d really appreciate hearing what others have experienced and what has worked for your LO.

Commonly Used Abbreviations


DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more