Just need to talk to my friends (223)
Comments
-
Good morning. Sunny and seasonable here. Trees are starting to get pretty. My big locust is dropping bright yellow leaves, and the maple has a random patch of orange.
Carl— That temperature swing speaks to a complicated winter pattern. Yikes.
Sweetwater— Thanks for sharing your treatment plan. It looks like my office's prices are a little higher. Maybe I should go to the eye hospital's clinic and she was they think since this is an "eye thing". My eye doc thinks the IPL would be the best fit for me; they do LLLT, radiofrequency and Opilift (which seems more cosmetic) as well. I currently use Xiidra drops which work a little better for me than the cyclosporin ones. I don't have blepharitis or demodex mites— just tear issues (not enough and poor quality) and a little ocular rosacea. The IPL is supposed to help with improving collagen and the quality of blinking to make it more effective.
Lorita— It must be quite the adjustment for you to lose your neighbors. It makes your world a bit small and a bit less safe.
I really feel for Darwin, though. I imagine the AL is a better fit for Donna's needs but not Darwin's. Assuming he has the capacity to make a decision, perhaps he'd be better at home. I'm in a place where mom would probably be safer in an AL but she loves her home. If that decision comes back and bites her, she sees it as dying doing what she loved.
Lady Z— They aren't closing any Starbucks near me. My small town has 3 very near one another— one in the grocery store, a drive-thru location in the same shopping complex and another 1800' away on our cute Main Street. They closed a couple in Philadelphia where they had issues with people experiencing homelessness hanging out.
Gothic G— I hope the changes in MIL aren't extreme during your next visit. When we were in that phase with my MIL, each visit meant a woman who was a little (or lot) more diminished than last. We made the trip as a family 4 times a year or so, but sometimes it was just really hard.Iris— I am indignant on your behalf. WTH wash her door? I'd have turned the hose of her.
Carl— It sounds like your senior center's programming is a step above what I hear about locally. I'm glad you had fun.
Eaglemom— How sad about your neighbor and their family.
Beth— How scary for you have that reaction to a vaccine. I'd probably opt out after that as well. My reaction is an immune response. My immune system understood the assignment. That said, when my family came down with Covid— mom, DH and DS— I did not. My stylist tested positive the morning after I spent 2 hours in his chair and I dodged it a second time.
How do you use Claritin and Zyrtec? Do you take both? I'm having a rough fall allergy season and was considering a "chaser" for my usual Zyrtec. My nose has been running non-stop for the last 6 weeks. Ugh.
I just finished "Mad Mabel"— it was a fun read. Quirky and charming.
________________________________________________________________
The power went out here randomly last night around 9:30. I reported the outage and went to bed but struggled to fall asleep. It was restored around 1, just as I was settling down. I went downstairs and turned off all the lights but didn't fall asleep for a while after that. Dragging today.
Mom has nothing medical scheduled this week, so I promised to take her out somewhere to shop. She enjoys that sort of thing and can't make it happen on her own.
I have a friend I'm meeting for lunch tomorrow. She's living in Seattle now, so I only see her about once a year when they come to see family. I'll have to bribe DS to drive mom to Tai Chi. I can Uber her home or maybe even drive myself, but the drivers struggle with the gate situation.
HB0 -
Morning……
1 -
good morning
0 -
Stopping by to say HI Everyone!
0 -
Beth L, My eyelids did itch at times and I had recurring styes and infected lashes. The tea tree wipes got rid of those problems. The dry eyes caused stinging, stabbing eye pain and repeated eye infections. The light therapy , Vevye drops, Bruder mask, and Optase cleanser have worked so far (6 months) to eliminate these problems. I also had occasional blurred vision that I no longer have.
1 -
Afternoon , the barn door is off the barn roof! Three of Mike's hands came and got it down. . They think they can repair it enough to get it back up even though it won't roll. Will leave it closed all the time and open and close the other one. I didn't watch, the two young men got up on the roof and slid it down. At least that is what I think.
They also fixed two gate wheels and jumped my.PU. Told Darwin and II made him happy. He has been so worried about it being up there. He also had good news. Mike has found some people who may be interested in renting his house and barn. The acreage Is already leased.Maybe they might be. an older couple.
The freezer compartment in the refrigerator that they said needed to be replaced had frozen up so defrosted that. Got up at 6 - the guys got here at 7, so I need a nap. One.of them checked my diesel. It had water in the filter but ran red after it was out. He thinks it's ok. On red dyed you don't pay tax because it's for farm equipment. Now, for a while, you're allowed to use it on road.
Looks like Billy is lame again with his foot rot so will need to start medicating him again. What is different about the tee tree wipes vs. Ocu-Soft? Never heard of the Vevye drops. Thought I had tried every kind. My eye seems better but right now there is some itching. It is so hard for me to get the ointment in my eyes have to take off my glasses and that makes it harder to do.
0 -
Lorita…please do not experiment….do exactly what your own Dr says to do~~~!!!!!!!!
0 -
Good afternoon.
The weather is still HOT here, with record highs in both LA and Orange Counties; LAX reached 104 degrees. No relief expected until the weekend.
Many people are cooling off at the beaches despite the ocean water showing high levels of bacteria and swimming not recommended at so many beaches.
The power companies here are asking residents to moderate their use of power to avoid overloading the electrical grids because everyone is using more air conditioning. At the same time, due to the high heat and low humidity and lots of dry brush, the risk of wildfires is very high. There already is a big wildfire, over 1000 acres, in NW LA County.
In addition to that bad news, we learned that a raccoon has been found with rabies, the first since 1973. People are being warned to keep their pets vaccinated for rabies and to keep them away from wild animals and to avoid touching wild or dead animals.
I read that Covid vaccination is still recommended for adults over 65 to reduce the possibility of death. Covid is still killing older adults. In my case, with three episodes of Covid, I never felt in danger of death, just very sick. And with each episode I coughed for three months after the acute illness was over. I am still coughing now, two months after my last acute episode.
Should I get vaccinated? I should be innoculated from a natural infection. I'll have to investigate.
HB, have you ever used Nasalcrom for your allergic rhinitis? I used it many years ago before I had immunotherapy and the Nasalcrom did help me very much.
Lorita, how did the barn door get on the barn roof? Was that from a storm?
This hot weather keeps me sluggish. Combined with the coughing, I'm not getting much done. We'll, I'll do what I can.
Iris
0 -
HB, the dermatologist has me using Claritin 10 mg in the morning and Zyrtec 10 mg in the evening. Is it helping? Some.
1 -
Iris, I saw where it was very hot out there..Got pretty warm here this afternoon. Probably a small tornado or something just picked up the bottom of the door and flipped it up on the roof. The same night wind blew the roof off a MH three miles east of me.
The men came back this afternoon and worked a couple of.hours. Not sure if they got the door back.on. Walked quite a lot today and didn't eat much so got kind. of hypoglycemic so didn't go out to check.
What's going on with the covid shots? Something wrong? I would never take.it and the flu shot at the same time.
0 -
Iris - I usually do exactly what you do regarding flu and covid vaccines - I get them on the same day, usually on a Friday after gym. That way I have the rest of Friday, and then the weekend, to recover. I'm planning on doing that again in a couple of weeks.
The thing that motivates me (rightly or wrongly) is that Karyn (the woman who edited my blog) has long covid. It's really wiped her out. She can't go to the gym, she has trouble going up stairs, or even walking sometimes. She thinks she got covid before we had access to vaccines. Whether that's true or not, who knows. If long covid wasn't a thing, I'd probably be kind of lackadaisical about getting the vaccine now, but it is, so I do.
Your neighbor wanted you to clean her door? WTH?
eaglemom - I'm so sorry about your neighbor. That's so very hard.
Beth - I have my sights set on Australia - and will not be flying coach. 🙂
I'm glad your back is mostly healed. Taking things slowly is the right thing to do even though it's very annoying.
All that said about vaccines, if I had a reaction like yours, I doubt I'd get the vaccine.
Zetta - I don't know what exactly it was about Cottage Grove. It just seemed like a warm place, it was pretty … just a feeling, I guess.
I don't know what H3 and H4 are … is it something I can do on a mac?
Hi Rellie
0 -
GG, at the bottom of the "Leave a Comment" text box are 5 icons— one is a paragraph sign. If you click, you will see H2 and other icons. Click on H2 and H3, H4 and H5 will come up.
My neighbor finally got her door cleaned. The HOA cleaned her door today, but did not touch my door, even though my door has been sprayed by the same feral cats that the HOA allow to stay here. Why not clean my door too?
HB, I bought the Bald Eagle stamps, they are really impressive.
I'm turning in now. Good night.
Iris
0 -
Iris, I like those eagle stamps, too. I heard Jackie was 14 years old.
Billy's footrot is back- limping pretty much. Time for Aeromycin granules again. I.found the measuring container yesterday but put it down somewhere and can't find it. Sandy, I never learn.
1 -
Good morning. It was 40F when I woke up this morning. It felt pretty good. Sunny and should hit 67F later.
Iris— I'll have to look into a nasal spray. I had a prescription one a few years back for spring tree season. Those are the same stamps I bought. Pretty but ridiculous as there's no way to tuck a couple in my wallet so I have stamps if I need one.
Last research I did on the natural immunity vs vaccine for Covid showed the vaccine as more effective. It also pointed out that natural immunity wanes more quickly (~3months). Did you ever get a positive test during your last illness? If it were some other illness, it would have conferred zero immunity to Covid. Given your love of travel, keeping current on the vaccine seems to make the most sense to me.
Lorita— I'm glad they were able to flip the door down and hope they're able to get it functional for you as well soon. I imagine there's quite a bend in the track it rides on.
Beth— Thanks for that information. I have a friend who double-doses Zyrtec on doctor's orders but he doesn't recommend it generally.
Gothic G— I am hearing that flu is already quite active in the PNW. A couple younger families I know of are currently dealing with it in.
Stay safe out there.
HB0 -
Iris, I'll bet your neighbor asked the HOA to clean her door. They would probably clean yours if you asked. Squeaky wheel.
50 degrees and sunny this morning, going on 90. Our trees aren't turning yet and may not be all that pretty after the dry August and September we had. Nice weather now, though.
1 -
I doubt the trees will.be pretty this year, too, Carl. I have had one brown one for two months, others have lost some leaves but are still green.
I don't usually get my flu shot until the end pf October but Dr. Gupta said the season is usually where it is in November and recommended getting it now. WM has been Giving them for at least two weeks. I like to.get flu and covid shots at the Health Dept.when possible.
Just fed whatever I'm feeding at the carport. Whatever it is all the food is eaten and all the water gone every morning. Walked out to check on the barn. The track is back up and straight.but the door is still down.
Beautiful morning - cool and sunny but will be warmer later. Need to sweep.or dustmop. I wonder where all the dust and lint and hair comes from. Could.it be from Stormy's white hair, my white.hair and cathair?
1 -
Good afternoon.
The weather is a bit cooler but HUMID! But perhaps I can get some chores and errands done today.
Iris
0 -
Iris - thanks for the H2, H3, etc.. I noticed the paragraph symbol, but I always thought it was just for spacing! I have it set to H3 right now, and I'll bold everything when I'm done.
I'm almost out of stamps, so when I get them next time, I'll see if I can get some of the eagle ones. I like 'em.
Lorita - I'm sorry about Billy. I hope his foot heals as it did last time this happened.
HB - We've been discussing when to get our vaccines. We may end up getting our flu vaccines next week, but wait on the covid vaccine until late October-early November. We're going to the Bay Area for Thanksgiving, which also means we're going to Death Guild, so we'll encounter a lot of people on that trip. And you never know what people have been up to, so we want to be "vaxxed to the max" when we go to SF.
Things have been mostly quiet, but I've been working away with the final tweaks to my blog. I hired an attorney to go over it and read it for defamation, privacy, and copyright issues. I wanted someone else to go over it for those things because I'm not objective, and I wanted someone completely objective. He found no defamation (I didn't think he'd find anything), a couple of privacy issues that can be cured easily enough by rephrasing, and some copyright things that are also easily curable. So, I'm happy. I'll make the changes he suggested, and then I'm pretty confident that my risks on those topics is very, very low.
0 -
GG, it's a good idea to vet your blog with another attorney. Is this your specialty of law?
What I have learned to do is to write out all of what I want to write, and then go back and break it into paragraphs. Otherwise each paragraph has to be bolded individually.
I didn't have a good day. For some reason, the coughing has worsened. I cough when I talk, but I don't think I've been talking much. I'm going to go silent for a few days.
Iris
0 -
Iris, honey is good for nonproductive coughs. Thanks for the tip on bolding our posts.
0 -
Good morning. I read that persistent coughing can be due to GE reflux. I was told that a few years ago by an ENT doctor as to why I had to keep clearing my throat. This can happen without traditional heartburn symptoms.
Carl, I will try the honey. I'll let you know how it goes.
Iris
0 -
Splendid day….think I will get my "need tos" done and paint.
0 -
Hi, pretty day but going to.be near.90 later. I gave Billy his first dose of Aeromycin granules with his all grain this morning. Let him in North of the house to eat the grass instead of mowing. Also in the West paddock. I see him laying down in the shade now. It seems to.be his left back foot that bothers him.
The north barn doors are up and closed.. Hadn't planned on closing the West door yet but it's okay. I know they didn't secure the West door the way I do so will check on it tomorrow. They also left the.north.corral gate open so some.cows are in that part of the corral.
The light went out in the utility room so called the electrician. He will come either this afternoon or the weekend. I want him to figure out where to put another security light north of the house. I have one but it doesn't provide enough light.
I like H2 better than H3 because print Is bigger. On my tablet I paragraph by pressing an orange circle with an arrow in it. Also the next paragraph will be bold if you type the first word of that paragraph, then paragraph it. The bolding and.bigger type is so much easier to read. Thank you all so much.
I need to trim both my nails and Stormy's, maybe tomorrow morning. They really seem to grow fast. Does the time ever come when everything is done? I doubt it.
Carl, how's Cowboy?
0
Commonly Used Abbreviations
DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more
Categories
- All Categories
- 699 Living With Alzheimer's or Dementia
- 403 I Am Living With Alzheimer's or Other Dementia
- 296 I Am Living With Younger Onset Alzheimer's
- 19.1K Supporting Someone Living with Dementia
- 5.9K I Am a Caregiver (General Topics)
- 9.3K Caring For a Spouse or Partner
- 3.4K Caring for a Parent
- 249 Caring Long Distance
- 207 Supporting Those Who Have Lost Someone
- 13 Discusiones en Español
- 1 Vivir con Alzheimer u Otra Demencia
- 1 Vivo con Alzheimer u Otra Demencia
- Vivo con Alzheimer de Inicio Más Joven
- 12 Prestación de Cuidado
- 3 Soy Cuidador (Temas Generales)
- 8 Cuidar de un Padre
- 23 ALZConnected Resources
- View Discussions For People Living with Dementia
- View Discussions for Caregivers
- Discusiones en Español
- Browse All Discussions
- Dementia Resources
- 8 Account Assistance
- 15 Help




