Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

You might be a fulltime caregiver if...

subversivevegan
subversivevegan Member Posts: 29
25 Likes 10 Comments 5 Insightfuls Reactions 5 Care Reactions

I am trying to find humor anywhere I can. Yesterday I was standing in a short line at the bank and it occurred to me how nice it was to just stand there quietly without (really) worrying about my LO for a few minutes. it occurred to me that we full-time caregivers have a slightly different view of our "free time":

• Standing in line at a store or bank is “respite care”
  • Taking a shower is a “spa day”
  • Your LO getting a 15 minute haircut is “vacation”
  • Iced coffee is your go-to because you never get to drink it hot.

Any others?

Comments

• Joydean
    Joydean Member Posts: 1,497
    1000 Comments Third Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

Going to the restroom at the store by yourself!

• CStrope
    CStrope Member Posts: 487
    100 Care Reactions Third Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions

I agree with Babz0226. I stay up way too late on friday and saturday nights because it feels like a vacation to get to read a book or do a jigsaw puzzle!

• Denise1847
    Denise1847 Member Posts: 835
    250 Care Reactions 500 Comments 250 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions

Hi ButterflyWings, You surely made me chuckle. I think you win the prize for the most humor. It really helps to be able to laugh in this madness.

• drkyiam
    drkyiam Member Posts: 1
    First Comment

Going to work is a vacation and you look forward to time you don't have to feel guilty about being away and paying someone else to care for your spouse.

• crminis
    crminis Member Posts: 7
    Eighth Anniversary First Comment

Getting to read in bed before getting up to start the day, and staying up watching silly TV shows without thinking of anything.

• subversivevegan
    subversivevegan Member Posts: 29
    25 Likes 10 Comments 5 Insightfuls Reactions 5 Care Reactions

haha...this wins the prize...I can 100% relate to this one (my LO favors Rawhide and Ancient Aliens).

• tigersmom
    tigersmom Member Posts: 196
    100 Likes 100 Care Reactions 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions

Your annual mammogram, without DH in tow, feels like a mini-vacation.

• Caro_Lynne
    Caro_Lynne Member Posts: 343
    100 Likes 100 Comments 25 Care Reactions First Anniversary

You do laundry only to realize afterwards that LO left depends in pants and everything you washed is covered with white cotton!

• Denise1847
    Denise1847 Member Posts: 835
    250 Care Reactions 500 Comments 250 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions

Putting outgoing mail in the mailbox only to have your DH say he is going to "pick up" the mail and he returns with the outgoing mail or... a neighbor's mail.

Going to the grocery store and having your DH take the items off the conveyor belt before it has been scanned.

• Chammer
    Chammer Member Posts: 140
    Eighth Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes

...you tell you LOWD to go ahead and light up that cigarette and smoke till your heart's content (tweezers in one hand to light it and a stick pretzel being shaken defiantly at me while held elegantly in smokers pose in the other hand 😁)

• l7pla1w2
    l7pla1w2 Member Posts: 174
    100 Care Reactions 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Likes

You put papers in the recycle bin and LO takes them out (even though they're ripped up) and asks you about them all over again.

No issue is ever settled. When I really want things to end, I have to shred the paper.

• HollyBerry
    HollyBerry Member Posts: 173
    100 Comments Second Anniversary 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Care Reactions

You arrange your hybrid work schedule so you're in the office the day before and the day after a long weekend. You plan your errands so your LO doesn't want to come along and you get to be on your own for half of Saturday morning. You tell them that you're making eggs and toast because the dog needs the extra protein, and you made an extra for them while you were cooking, when the reality is actually the reverse. You hide the snacks you like, because if you don't, they won't be there when you get home.

• Nancy82
    Nancy82 Member Posts: 1
    First Comment

This is exactly what I do.

go to “bed” early to read, then I get up early for alone time as he sleeps in.

😀

• AnderK
    AnderK Member Posts: 123
    100 Comments 100 Care Reactions 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Likes

You know you are a caregiver whn you are sitting next to your 30some nephew who is trying to remember a book title, and when he says he is having a hard time remembering, you say it's just like at home...and his response is, I bet.

• ghphotog
    ghphotog Member Posts: 664
    500 Care Reactions 500 Comments 100 Likes 25 Insightfuls Reactions

When your spouse thinks the backyard is the trash can and throws everything out the back door.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more