Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Telling the truth

Buggytoo
Buggytoo Member Posts: 73
25 Likes 25 Care Reactions 10 Comments 5 Insightfuls Reactions

I have put my husband on the waiting list at a small number of memory care residential homes. He is probably in early stage 6. As I read the discussions here, it seems most people who place their spouses in memory care use a ruse to get them there. Is there any reason why I can't just tell the truth to my husband? The truth is that his explosive behaviors and incessant agitation are not tolerable for me and caring for him has diminished every aspect of my well-being. No, he wouldn't take it well, but isn't it a better practice to keep being truthful about this situation? Does anyone ever tell the truth? He wouldn't remember the conversation, of course, but I have always been honest and feel so very uncomfortable telling lies.

Tagged:

Comments

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,715
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions

Agree with HB across the board. The people you should tell the truth to are the MC administration, if you don’t address the explosive behaviors before he is admitted his stay there is likely to be very short.

• Phoenix1966
    Phoenix1966 Member Posts: 196
    100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Likes Second Anniversary

It would certainly feel good in the moment to get all of this off your chest, but it could well be a case of cutting off your nose to spite your face. Everyone here has made very valid points.

You need to get your life back and the only way to do that is to place your husband. Don’t do anything to rock the boat now that the light at the end of the tunnel is in sight.

• Buggytoo

Thank you for sharing your wisdom and experience.

• Buggytoo

I will read and reread your thoughtful response to my post. Especially, I need to consider my anger and whether or not I am addressing it effectively.

• Buggytoo

Good insight for me to ponder. . . Especially trying to minimize my upset and disruption.

• Buggytoo

I'm trying to get the right combination of medicines to improve my DH ability to manage his anger and agitation. In fact, if I could get that accomplished, I could probably last longer as a caregiver. Thank you for responding - it is helpful to have your input.

• Buggytoo
  • ButterflyWings
    ButterflyWings Member Posts: 1,752
    500 Likes Fifth Anniversary 1000 Comments 250 Insightfuls Reactions

(((@Buggytoo))) you have received the very best feedback here, and your replies sound like you are taking it to heart. I hope so, as I agree with everything above.

Also, I wanted to say how much your feelings and comments are understood, and they are words that perfectly reflect the reality of caregiving life and how so many of us also feel. You DO need to get those things off your chest and some have found good therapists and or in-person caregivers groups to help them do so. Others, me included, use this wonderful community to vent and rant to our hearts content. You have come to the right place to share those feelings that might truly backfire if you said them to your DH instead.

• Buggytoo

Thank you! I am relatively new on this forum and grateful for the opportunity to share my thoughts and get this wise feedback.

• mrahope
    mrahope Member Posts: 527
    Fourth Anniversary 250 Care Reactions 100 Likes 100 Comments

I, too, have a lot of qualms about the untruths I'm going to have to tell. It used to be because I was angry and thought DH deserved to hear about that. Now, it's more that I'm afraid I'll be caught in lies if he has a lucid interval. That hasn't happened yet, and I've "practiced" telling small fibs in less important situations just to see the effect. To date, I've been amazed at how little I need to tell him. Progression is real. Why not try it with less important things? For instance, instead of "We're having pizza tonight because I don't feel like cooking" try "I know you love pizza". Just my .02.

• Buggytoo

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care