Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Just need to talk to my friends (194)

Comments

• VetEly
    VetEly Member Posts: 78
    Fourth Anniversary 10 Comments 5 Likes 5 Care Reactions

My son came to Florida to get me and all my things to move back to SC.

I will be starting a new life with my sons and grandchildren, now that Bill has ended his journey of pain and suffering.

It was so great to see all our friends here in the resort come by and tell me goodbye. How much they liked Bill and i. We would be missed by all.

It has not really set in that Bill is not here anymore. After everything settles down it will probably hit me.

I will keep checking in on all of you God bless you in your journey.

Shirley

• BethL
    BethL Member Posts: 838
    Ninth Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Likes 25 Care Reactions

@VetEly Hello Shirley, I hope your move will go well. You already have a home in SC, correct? Will you be moving back to that home or somewhere else close to your boys? Have you been able to sell your Florida home? I am so sorry about Bill. The suffering for him is over but continues for his loved ones. Wishing you well.

@JeriLynn66 So glad your lung scan was good! Best wishes on quitting smoking. I know Nicorette gum or the patches has helped many.

• Lorita
    Lorita Member Posts: 4,310
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes
    edited March 24

Morning, it's cloudy and chilly here this morning supposed to be rainy today and tomorrow. All of us sort of slept in but are up and at 'em now

Good to hear from you Shirley. It will be a big change for without Bill. It takes a long time and is hard to move on. We have to know that Bill is finished with his pain and suffering so that can be a little bit of consolation. You'll be with family and that means a lot. Post when you feel up to it and let us know how you are.

Watching morning news shows so will be back later.

• ronald71111
    ronald71111 Member Posts: 1,213
    Tenth Anniversary 1000 Comments 250 Likes 100 Care Reactions

Shirley, my prayers are with you for a smooth move. I know it must be exciting to know you are closer to your boys and grandchildren.

I hope to make it to Sunday School and Church service today.

Ron

• JeriLynn66
    JeriLynn66 Member Posts: 797
    500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes 25 Insightfuls Reactions
    edited March 24

@VetEly Shirley, what a sweet send-off from your Florida friends! Bill is at rest now. You can move closer to your family and lean on their loving support as you navigate the final phase of this journey. We will be praying for your peace and comfort. Do check in and let us know how you are doing. Hugs.

Ron, we're off to church shortly. DH doesn't care for Sunday School but on Wednesday nights our Pastor leads a Bible Study that we both enjoy.

Thank you Beth and each of you. @harshedbuzz asked if I had a plan and physician support for quitting. Yes and yes. I will tell you a tele-doc visit physician counseled me last year and said "with everything that you have tried and used to quit and still failed, the only thing left for you is prayer!" This will be about my 20th attempt to quit after gum, patches, lozenges, nicotine inhaler, hypnosis 3 times, acupuncture, Chantix, Wellbutrin and 2 structured classes from the American Lung Association. So, prayer, exercise, just gut it out and accountability it is.

A beautiful day here with frost, wind, rain and cold starting tomorrow.. but then: Sunny skies! Have a wonderful day Porch Peeps!

• harshedbuzz
    harshedbuzz Member Posts: 4,354
    Seventh Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Insightfuls Reactions 500 Likes

@JeriLynn66 yikes. I'm sorry none of that was successful for you. I wish you strength to accomplish your goal and that you'll have grace with yourself if there are missteps. It's a process.

@VetEly I hope the move goes smoothly. My mom really missed her time in Florida- there's something easy able creating a social life in many communities there. Seeing her adult grandchildren has taken some of the sting out of it for her-- I wish the same for you.

I am set to do a Costco run. I need gas and a bunch of staples for the house-- mostly heavy things. Grrr.

HB

• jfkoc
    jfkoc Member Posts: 3,758
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions

It is 11:30a.....Lorita, are you OK?

• Caro_Lynne
    Caro_Lynne Member Posts: 346
    100 Likes 100 Comments 25 Care Reactions First Anniversary
  • Lorita
    edited March 24

Hi, I'm fine. Checked in a little after 8. Maybe it didn't post. Thanks Judith for inquiring.. Glad I logged in Just now. Waiting for the rain this afternoon. .

• David1946
    David1946 Member Posts: 667
    500 Comments 100 Likes 25 Care Reactions 5 Insightfuls Reactions

We had beautiful weather ( For the first time in about a week) for Palm Service Mass the Church was excellently decorated.

• jfkoc
    edited March 24

I saw that but it was under 3/23....everyones postsare under 3/23...3/24 has not even come up on my screen....what gives?????

• ronald71111

Made it to Sunday School and Church Service, but wasn't able to stay for full Church Service.

After coming home I noticed Lou's trash can looked like it had some 💩 in it. I got her to the bathroom and sitter and I had a fight on our hands. I finally got her halfway clean and under her nails a little cleaner and some clean depends on her. This was the first time the sitter has seen her combative and I told her later today after she settled down I can finish. My main concern was cleaning her enough where she wouldn't get a uti. About a hour or two later she was a angel, I cleaned her better, put another pair of depends on her and trimmed and cleaned her nails.

All part of it.......isn't it!

Ron

• harshedbuzz
    harshedbuzz Member Posts: 4,354
    Seventh Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Insightfuls Reactions 500 Likes

I'm on a laptop. I saw @Lorita 's first post of the day time-stamped 9:30am/edited 9:34am. IME, today's posts have the time posted and those older than that have a date.

On my phone, in Safari, that same post is time-stamped 1:30pm/edited 1:34pm.

Could it be the phone version is on GMT while the computer version is set to EDT?

HB

• BethL

We got 1/2" of rain today. Glad to have it. More chances for Monday and Tuesday.

A pic of my daffodils. We have many.

• JeriLynn66
    JeriLynn66 Member Posts: 797
    500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes 25 Insightfuls Reactions

Beth, I've mentioned I would love to emulate your flower gardens in my backyard. I want pathways and flowers all around the pool/deck and side fence rows. DH says he'd rather mow than pull weeds. Exactly how much weeding is required in those beautiful gardens of yours? I can pull my own weeds... lol

• jfkoc

I have no indication on any thread that anyone is posting today3/24!!!!

What is it about a daffodil. My Brent and Brenda catalogue arrived with page after page of them. The white one caught my eye but then it looked like a daffodil in a black and white movie...lol

• Lorita

Judith, there has been a lot of posts today. Are you on 193 or 194? On my tablet it doesn't give a date, just the time of the post. What does it show for this post?

Beth the daffodils are beautiful. I think I saw what is probably the last of mine yesterday. It was one of the tiny ones. Hate that they're bloomed out.

Judith, I imagine part of it is that they're just about the first flowers of spring and are so pretty.

• VetEly
    VetEly Member Posts: 78
    Fourth Anniversary 10 Comments 5 Likes 5 Care Reactions

I will be moving into the home I already have paid for. One of my sons is a single dad of 4. We have let him and kids live there for the last 5/6 years. Fla place sold in a day.

• BethL

@JeriLynn66 Regarding weeding, if you keep up with it, it's not too bad. 1. Applying a layer of mulch helps. 2. Some people use Preen, which acts as a pre-emergent to stop weed seeds from germinating. I personally use Preen only in one area - the area where the thousands of wisteria seeds fall - as I don't want thousands of little wisteria seedlings. 3. Round up - I use that in two areas - one is the fencerow that we share with a pasture. So many weeds come over from the pasture. The other place I've sprayed is my "courtyard" (paver patio) that has lots of penny cress growing between pavers. Too hard to pull weeds there. 4. To weed, I carry a bucket and what I call a dandelion digger. Digging works better than pulling, as you can get the entire root.

How long does it take? That will depend to a large extent on how large your garden is and how well you keep up with it (a little big every other day or so). I have huge gardens, and in the spring, summer and fall I spend many hours out there every week. It's not all weeding. For me, it's a labor of love. This is what I enjoy doing. I am not an indoor "girl." I like being outside.

Beth

• Lorita

Beth, hope your husband Is still improving.. An electrician who was working on the interior barn lights a few years ago told me he had fallen from a ladder onto a concrete floor so he was going to quit climbing. How awful and scary a fall like that and your husband must have been. Your beautiful garden shows how much you love nature and gardening.

Charles and I used to garden a lot and we really enjoyed planting and seeing the vegetables grow. We always had a row or two if flowers so we could have flowers in the house. Got that from my mother. She always had two long rows of flowers to have bouquets.

My gardening now consists of four big pots of caladiums and some clematis, however I'm afraid the grasshoppers and drought killed the clematis. There's at least one squirrel in the area (saw three last summer) and he eats all the plants in lower pots and on the porch.

Do you know what will kill prickly pears? Mike sprayed ours last year but a few survived. Think he used a mixture of sprays. If you barely touch one, those tiny thorns get you and are hard to remove.

Rain isn't here yet but just one county over and there's lots more southwest of that.

Sleep well -'see you all tomorrow.

• Mint
    Mint Member Posts: 2,674
    Eighth Anniversary 2500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes
    edited March 25

Good morning

Thinking of you Shirley, and glad that you have family that’s helping you. That means a lot.

That is a beautiful vase of daffodils Beth. Mine are late variety and have not bloomed yet though I do see buds now.

I only have time stamps also for the posts that are for today’s date.

I do not have beautiful gardens like Beth. Do have quite a few areas where I either plant in the ground or I use grow bags? Can only imagine how many hours Beth spends weeding because I weed a lot too. I also use mulch, which, as she said does help or it would be way worse.

Lorita many years ago I bought a house that had a prickly pear. I believe how I killed it was by taking black plastic trash bags and covering it, and I may have put cardboard and rocks on top of that. I can’t remember. You can kill anything from my experience that way. it may take a year or two.I always keep whatever I want to kill covered at least one year. Then I’ll uncover it and see what happens and go from there. I killed two big ornamental grasses here where I live now by doing that. My brother-in-law cut a huge old lilac that was here for me and I covered the stump that way for a year. Then when I uncovered it, a few sprouts came and I sprayed them with Roundup and that took care of it. I never had to do it but one time. So it’s something that you can think about. My dad taught me to do that.

take care, everyone.

• ronald71111

Good morning rockers! Just checking in!!

After all the problems with Lou after church yesterday, within a hour she was the angel I married for the rest of the night. How could I do anything but care for her at home when I know a part of her old self still is with me.

Ron

• Lorita

Morning, Dreary and dark for Monday morning. Some rain during night but it's calm and quiet now. Got GL fed and in the west paddock. She saw me when I came out of the house so I had to hustle to stay ahead of her to get into the paddock. She gave me a little boost as we got there. The others are standing around waiting for their feed.

Ron, that's the way I felt about Charles staying home, too. It's not easy but I felt like he'd do the same for me. Cherish those days when things go well. So glad you have each other.

Thanks, Mint. I have a huge car tarp that's really heavy and might work but would never be able to use it again because of all those stickers staying on it. I do not like weeding. Guess those years of chopping cotton and corn and heavy gardening are still with me. My yard needs to be mowed now but there are so many clumps of daffodils leaves that make it so hard for Bryon. I would let GL in but don't know how I would keep her out of the feed tub.

Got my taxes finished yesterday. Will check it over and get it in the mail, probably tomorrow. Did think of one thing I forgot to include so will take care of that.

The 2024 Bass Master's fishing tournament wrapped up yesterday. They fished three days on Grand Lake in NE Okla. The winner, from Alabama, who caught the most pounds of bass won $300,000. Years ago when I would be going to work the WM parking lot would be filled with boats belonging to the fishermen. Don't remember which lake they were fishing then.

Just heard cows bawling so they must have heard Toad's truck feeding Darwin's girls. He misses taking care of his girls just like I do but mine are closer so I see them every day.

Enjoy your Monday. Back later.

• David1946

Good morning to all I'm waiting to see my my doctor today to get the results of my nuclear brain test to see if I have Parkinson. Please pray that I don't.

• Lorita

DavId, saying prayers that the test wss negative for Parkinsons. Please let us know.

Sad thing-- just heard 7500 head of cattle were lost in the Texas Panhandle fires. So, beef prices will be up. Feel so sorry for all those ranchers. Hurts to lose one cow much less your whole herd.

• David1946

Hello everyone, I made a mistake my appointment today was not for my possibility of my having Parkinsons but for a checkup for my CPAP machine. My appointment for my neurologist is on May 10. Sorry for the mix up but my mind is not working properly Last week I was an hour late for my heart doctors appointment This is not the first time that I have messed up an appointment. My wife now takes care of my meds, my finances and now my Calander. I KNOW my wife truly LOVES me otherwise I would be up the creek without a paddle. I thank God everyday for my wife. Did I tell you that we have only been married 6 six years in August and we were both widows and met at the local Senior Center.

• David1946

Hi everyone, I made a mistake my doctor appointment was not to see if I had Parkinson but to see how I was doing with my CPAP. My appointment with my neurologist is May 10 after that appointment I will let you know the results. This is not the first time I made a mistake with appointments. Last week I showed up an hour late for my heart doctors appointment. My wife now handles my meds, my finances and now my calendar. I do not know where I would be without my wife. I KNOW that MY WIFE loves me. Did I tell you that we are married only 6 years. We were both widowed and met at the local Senior Center

• Lorita

Hi, Don't think anything about ir, David. I imagine most of us have made mistakes about appointments.

Charles, my husband who had vascular dementia and passed away in 2015, took a lot of medicine. I always fixed his medicine in one of those weekly things and he took them. Finally, he told me I would hsve to make sure he took them so that happens to the best of us. I take vitamins and I forget to take them. It's good you have a loving wife to.help when you need into it. Take care and rest well tonight.

Hope everyone is well tonight. The cold front has come through and it's getting cold. To be about 30 in the morning. It's snowing in our panhandle! Hope it doesn't get cold enough to ruin the peach crop again. Talk to you all tomorrow. Oh, I.finished my taxes and will mail them to the CPA tomorrow.

• Lorita

Happy Tuesday, I'm letting my.phone charge a bit and then going to mail those tax papers. Need to feed the birds and Gray Lady. It's 35 and sunny here but cloudy north.. You can see the heavy cloud bank. I'll be back later.

• jfkoc

OK....finaly understand the day v time of day stamps.

David....think post-its. I have them on the frig and some on the front door.

Taxes...thought I was done then started to get "updates" from Morgan Stanley. How on earth can the govenrment expect them to be done by a certain date when the information needed is not complese. Grrr!!!

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more