Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

As of 2:00 today, my DH is in Memory Care

CStrope
CStrope Member Posts: 487
100 Care Reactions Third Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions

When you say for better for worse, in sickness and in health, I'm not sure I thought about dealing with dementia. My husband who was diagnosed with FTD 3 1/2 years ago is not in a Memory Care facility. My heart is breaking. We met 41 years ago, and have been married almost 38. I'm not sure I'll ever be ok without him

Comments

• Denise1847
    Denise1847 Member Posts: 835
    250 Care Reactions 500 Comments 250 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions

I wish there was something I could say that would take your heartache away. Please know that we care, that you are stronger than you think and that you will get through this. Look how far you have come with the struggles of 3.5 years.

• SSHarkey
    SSHarkey Member Posts: 298
    Sixth Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes 100 Comments

I felt guilty when placing my father in MC. But I realized that he was getting much better care than I could ever do for him.

• Jgirl57
    Jgirl57 Member Posts: 468
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Likes 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions

I hope you are able to get some much needed rest . Sending (((hugs))). You journey has been a tough one and I pray that MC adjustment goes well for your DH

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,715
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions

the adjustment is never easy but I'm glad you did it. Keep us posted how it goes.

• Nowhere
    Nowhere Member Posts: 272
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Likes 100 Care Reactions 100 Comments

Oh, so hard, I know. You’ll shed lots of tears as you go thru this change. Change like this is just so difficult to wrestle, and wrestle you will. May you be comforted by trusting your reasons for making this decision when doubts come flirting. You wouldn’t have made this choice unless necessary for you both as a married couple. You’re still married, and you’re still his wonderful wife dealing with his formidable illness.

There is a misnomer that placing your spouse is taking the easy way out, having been through it, it isn’t. It was one the hardest parts of Alzheimer’s for me. It took awhile for me to understand that as much as he railed against it, a smaller routined environment for him was well overdue. His worries about things and trying to keep up with what’s going on in my bigger world of managing a home and staying connected with family and friends is so much less stress in his controlled “home”. Everyone’s spouse is unique, mine was my shadow and until his dying breath he will desire to keep up with me. I visit him now twice a day, we go for walks in parks, church, coffee, and I shower him and tuck him in to bed each night. I can focus totally on him and he so loves these times. It’s win/win, and I know in his well mind, he would understand.

This is not to say, I’m not missing what we enjoyed pre Alzheimer’s, or even early Alzheimer’s, the middle stages were hell, and no one can miss that, but this advanced stage of his loss of cognition is a peaceful one. I wonder about bringing him back home, but I see evidence of higher stress in him when we stop by our daughter’s house and the focus isn’t just on him.

Continue to take care of you, as you’re still so important in overseeing his good care!

• LindaLouise
    LindaLouise Member Posts: 95
    100 Care Reactions 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Likes 10 Comments

Thank you for sharing this as I am struggling with what to do. Hearing about others and the decisions/choices they are making, and why, really helps. In my situation with my DH, I am seeing increasing agitation and anger, more wandering and less engagement with anyone but me. He spends hours a day being unhappy and complaining in a kind of aggressive manner. He has tried to exit a car and tends to leave the house when he gets frustrated, leaving me to figure out how to get him back inside. He can figure out any locks I have installed. I can't really have phone conversations with anyone, as he gets agitated or angry. Oddly, he seems fine with not driving, which shocks me, but sleeping often doesn't happen and he will get dressed in the middle of the night, then go looking for shoes. I hide them nightly, so he finally gives up but the lack of sleep, the constant surveillance and fear take a toll on my mental and physical health. I can't really have phone conversations with anyone, as he gets agitated or angry. We had a wonderful marriage for 46 years, but this final stage has me wondering what to do next.

• M1

Linda: is he on medications? Probably needed, keep talking to his docs. Cstrope, will be interested to hear how it's going.

• M1

Sounds pretty good for five days in, overall. I can only imagine that going back to an office environment was difficult. Glad those days are behind me....i hope you'll be able to establish a new healthy routine for yourself.

• Joe C.
    Joe C. Member Posts: 944
    Fifth Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

Cstrope, I’m glad to hear your husband is adjusting to MC. I’m sure that going back to work will be a huge adjustment but it may also provide a good distraction. I remember when I placed DW that I would do almost anything to get out of the house, it was just to lonely there in the beginning. I hope the transition continues to go well for both of you.

• Jgirl57
    Jgirl57 Member Posts: 468
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Likes 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions

Good to hear that DH adjustment has gone fairly well. Best wishes to you as you now put one foot back into “ normal??”, and have one foot still in “dementia” world.

• AlzWife2023
    AlzWife2023 Member Posts: 237
    100 Care Reactions 100 Comments 25 Likes First Anniversary

I would not be able to cope with this. I say this now, but I know we have a way of adapting and giving in, especially when we’re tired and our options are limited. I’d ask the doc for meds and see if that’s enough. Otherwise, or maybe once he’s settled on meds, I’d start thinking about placements and touring facilities. This is a very unsafe and unhealthy situation for both of you.

• AlzWife2023
    AlzWife2023 Member Posts: 237
    100 Care Reactions 100 Comments 25 Likes First Anniversary
    edited April 6

Sounds like you went thru a lot. You deserve your life back.

• White Crane
    White Crane Member Posts: 849
    Seventh Anniversary 250 Care Reactions 500 Comments 100 Likes

I’m so glad to hear that your husband is adjusting well to memory care. That is a blessing. My husband has been in memory care about 2 1/2 months now and I still miss him terribly. As others have said, you will adjust. I hope that going back to work, even though it’s a big adjustment for you, will be a blessing. You hang in and try to take extra good care of yourself. Sending hugs.

• M1

Happy for you that it's going well so far. It takes a long, long time to recover from the exhaustion—if one ever does completely. MC requires a different kind of vigilance.

• Dio
    Dio Member Posts: 682
    500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes Second Anniversary

I can honestly say that placing DH in MCF was the best thing for both of us! I did my homework in advance and found the right facility. They're taking so much better care of him than I could. Today is exactly 1 year since DH was placed. He's doing so well now that I almost feel guilty leaving him in MCF care. But those who know our journey will remind me of why I had placed him in the first place. And that I'm not abandoning him because I'm providing him with the best care. That, is the highest form of love. Give yourself a hug…

• ProfT
    ProfT Member Posts: 4
    Fifth Anniversary First Comment

I feel exactly as you do.My DW of 50 years has been in skilled nursing for two months now. I miss her terribly (not as she is, but as she was) and am very lonely, especially at night. Does anything help with the loneliness? I talk to my lab so much that she probably wants to tell me to be quiet.

• CCD-TN
    CCD-TN Member Posts: 3
    First Comment

My husband of 44 years has been in MC for just over three weeks. He SAYS if I really need him to be there so I can catch up on sleep and start to feel better, he will stay, but he has packed up everything I had moved to his room. He cleaned out all drawers and put it in pillowcases and the two trash cans I had placed in bath and bedside. Twice at night he has tripped over clothing he was carrying down the hall, once requiring a trip to the ER for stitches. He also severely scratched his eyeglasses on that fall. Yesterday he had even taken down the shower curtain and liner. I'm frustrated but so far have been leaving things packed up so he doesn't fall over them again. The staff says others have done this but I imagine they're getting frustrated, too, not knowing which of his clothes and bedding are clean and which are dirty. I suggested to nursing director that I bring a small suitcase he could "pack" but I'm afraid that will make him think he IS going home. I'd appreciate any advice! (They added diazepam to his meds the first week.)

• M1

welcome to the forum. My partner has been in MC for two years and still “packs up” almost daily. We can’t keep a laundry basket in her room because she packs it, and she will do the same thing with trash cans, so the ones that are there are very small. After a year in her current facility, the most progress is that she no longer takes the pictures off the walls. But she still unplugs the lamps and a music player. I’ve had to keep the furnishings and clothing to a minimum to try to accommodate. She will only shower and change clothes once a week, so we typically have them do laundry once a week, as we change sheets and towels on shower day too.

Long way of saying, some folks just do this. My partner still wants to leave, but she no longer remembers that we lived together, so it is less forceful now than it used to be. I hope your DH will settle quicker than my partner has.

• CCD-TN
    CCD-TN Member Posts: 3
    First Comment

Today he had taken his bed apart, unscrewing the legs and putting them in various dresser drawers (at least he's using the dresser for SOMEthing, I guess). The unmade mattress is on the floor. I just couldn't deal with it so I came home. Not sure if someone at the facility will fix the bed or if I will need to hire someone. (It's an adjustable, which I wish now I hadn't spent the money on — not sure where the remote wound up.) Sigh.

• rocko
    rocko Member Posts: 6
    First Anniversary First Comment

OMGosh, I placed my Husband in Memory Care on Friday after being in the hospital for a month. I really believe I have never done anything so difficult. We have been married 25years and my heart is breaking and living alone seems to bring sadness that is rearing its ugly head daily. I have been his 24/7 caregiver of 11 years with Vascular Dementia . His is and has been my entire life. I have no children but was blessed with 2 wonderful supportive step children. I guess I should keep counting my blessings …….but how I miss him and our life. Does it really ever get easier?

• rocko
    rocko Member Posts: 6
    First Anniversary First Comment

I am so sorry…..my heart breaks everyday for "us". He has been in Memory Care for 9 days right now… adjusting maybe, but each day everything changes with this disease.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more