Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Should he know he has Alzheimers?

wor913
wor913 Member Posts: 3
First Comment

My husband was in the doctor's office when we received the diagnosis over a year ago. Now he doesn't seem to remember that he has it. He's gone through several tests and it was confirmed. Last week he mentioned that Alzheimers must have skipped him (his mother, brother, aunt, and cousin had it). Should he be told again that he has it? He's in the early-mid stages now.

Tagged:

Comments

• PookieBlue
    PookieBlue Member Posts: 202
    100 Likes 100 Comments 25 Care Reactions First Anniversary

I never use the terms Alzheimer’s or dementia around my husband. He has anosognosia so thinks he is ok much of the time and I avoid any such triggers as it never results in a positive conversation.

• jsps139_
    jsps139_ Member Posts: 169
    100 Likes 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Care Reactions

I would not tell him. What good would it do? I would just say … well, you are the lucky one! My husband went from being aware that something was wrong to not believing that anything was wrong with him. In year 10, he doesn’t think about it either way, and I never mention it.

• SDianeL
    SDianeL Member Posts: 875
    500 Care Reactions 250 Likes 500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions

I never used the words Alzheimer's or Dementia with my husband. He knew he was forgetting things but I just talked about his brain. When the doctor prescribed Memantine I said it was pills for his brain. Read the book "The 36 Hour Day" which really helped me. It was recommended by a nurse. Explains the disease and provides tips on how to care for someone with dementia.

• Crkddy
    Crkddy Member Posts: 84
    Fourth Anniversary 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Likes 25 Care Reactions

wor913, it's been many years ago now, but had similar experience with DW. At one point she knew and was terribly depressed as a result. This went on for many months, but eventually she no longer remembered and I never mentioned it again. It is for the best.

• wor913
    First Comment

Thank you for your response. I'm new to this group and it seems like it's going to be very helpful.

• wor913
    First Comment

Thank you for your comment.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia