Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Short term memory and spouse

I am 56 and started having memory issues this year and seems more prevalent recently. I dont have a diagnosis yet and see the neurologist in Nov. A recent example is my wife and I went on a hot air balloon ride in Africa. 8 days later she told friends we took the balloon ride and I interrupted her and said no we didnt. I had no recollection of the ride at first but after several mins as she talked about it the memory vaguely came back. My wife gets upset when I question something she says because I don’t remember it. But I cant help it because I dont have the memory. Do I have to learn to just trust what she is saying?

Comments

• Iris L.
    Iris L. Member Posts: 4,306
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions
    edited September 3

Welcome Doug. You need to have a thorough medical evaluation with blood tests from your primary doctor. There are many dementia mimics due to illnesses or medication side effects. Do you have a history of head trauma? Tell the doctor your medical history. This should be done before you see the neurologist. Ask the doctor to do a Mini Mental Status Exam. This is a screening test, it is not a diagnostic test.

You and your wife can read about the diagnostic process for memory loss at alz.org. She will have to learn to become patient.

Are You still working?

Iris

• douglaske17
    douglaske17 Member Posts: 4
    First Comment

Hi - I am retired, not on any medication and have had no head trauma. I have blood tests annually and everything looked fine. I had a brain MRI over a year ago due to balance issues and saw this neurologist back then. The MRI showed white matter lesions but he said they could be nothing and just with age.

• Iris L.

Hello Doug, I'm glad you were tested negative for vitamin B12 deficiency and thyroid disorders. I also have white matter hyperintensities on MRI. My diagnosis is cognitive impairment not otherwise specified. I was prescribed Exelon patch and memantine by my neurologist. They help with my memory and my speech.

You might want to read about leukoairiosis, it describes white matter disease, and has to do with poor balance. You might want to find a reputable article and print it out for your neurologist.

Iris

• douglaske17
    First Comment

By the way, my Vit D levels have been borderline low (28-32) since first measured in 2018. I read that can be linked to elevated risk of dementia/Alzheimer's. Although my levels arent super low. I see my General Phy today and will talk to him about all this. Thanks for your help.

• Iris L.

Doug, can you spend more time in the sun while the weather is still warm and the sun is still high in the sky, so your skin can make natural vitamin D?

Iris

• douglaske17
    First Comment

I’m in the sun almost everyday. I have lived in Orlando FL for 25 years. My body doesnt make the levels of Vitamin D I need.

• VeronicaHAlvarez
    VeronicaHAlvarez Member Posts: 4
    First Comment

I take a 50k Vitamine d Pearl twice a week because my body does not process vitamins. I read an article on the web, and that is one thing that Alzheimer's patients have in common. That and plaque buildup in the body. you cant get the vitamins from just food, you need the supplements. it will help you feel better along with the good meal plan.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more