Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Just need to talk to my friends (155)

Lorita
Lorita Member Posts: 4,310
Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

Hi,

Had one heck of a time trying to get on the thread so thought I'd start a new section of this one.

I don't know what in the world people are thinking!  I watched a super-good football game this afternoon - Cleveland Browns at KC Chiefs.  Arrowhead hold at least 75,000 people and it was filled to the brim.  I watched diligently when they showed the crowds and did not see one mask.  A couple of coaches had one on, just covering one guy's mouth and the other under his chin - that was all!  Just imagine being in a crowd that big with everyone yelling and elbow to elbow.  I would be scared out of  my wits.  It seems like people are just ignoring things they should do and trying to make things normal again - but it is not.  Baker Mayfield was really playing well today but at the very end of the game he threw an interception so KC won.  I liked both teams so it was okay.  The whole stadium was red. Of course, all the seats are red but probably 95% of the people had on red t-shirts.  Probably handed out when they came in.  But, people do wear a lot of red to their games.

Judith - I'm with you about growing things.  If a person can't grow zucchini and have at least one, they should stop.  The plants were okay and they bloomed but that was it.

The trash company that operates in our area is Herringshaw.  I'll call them tomorrow and see what they have.  But, if I had a container  put down at the road it would impede trucks coming into the driveway, unless it was pretty small.  I'm going to take the trash down in the morning - not very much but I want it out of the house.  Sue's trash trucks are painted pink!

About the phone - on OKLATEL's webpage I saw something about long distance so I'm going to call them again tomorrow.  Canadian telephone company (just north of McAlester) has it but not in this area.  Maybe I'll just get another one of the little flip phones and be content with that.  I had that other cell phone for about seven years and only one time did I get a little dampness in it.  I need some kind of pouch to carry it in that's waterproof and one I can put over my shoulder like a crossbody bag - I'll find one somewhere.  It seems like we have something like that here so I'll keep looking.

I worked on my taxes a couple of hours this afternoon - but about half an hour of that was spent looking for 2019 tax papers.  I took it in to Sam and they sent all of the papers back to me but not in the folder-type thing I use.  I remember getting it and from there - nothing.  I put it somewhere safe and you all know how that goes.  I'll finish tomorrow and get up to get some Gator gas later this week and mail it to him.  Didn't spent as much on feed or anything really last year because of the virus.

It's been quiet here today, too, but I missed my nap so will probably get to bed early.

Judith, what are the meaningless programs you watch on Sunday night?  I'm watching Highway Thru Hell - Zetta - had already seen Gunsmoke.

Zetta, glad you had blue skies and better air quality.  It was hazy here and the sky in KC wasn't the gorgeous blue it usually is during the ballgames - so they're getting some smoke, too.

Walked out to check the barn a while ago and saw all the girls way down in the NE pasture - they look so pretty - black cattle on green grass.  Rose Bud had gone through the gate so I came back and got some feed for her and took it out to her.  They're cutting hay or grass to make hay.  Will be good to have that grass off the meadow.  It's been in the low 90s today so it should dry enough to bale by Tuesday at least, maybe tomorrow afternoon.  I wish whoever is cutting it would cut the grass along the driveway.  There's a shallow ditch next to the road and about five feet over from that is the line of electric poles, every so often so the grass grows there because they can't bale that five feet. They're using a sickle mower so not enough room to cut it anyway.  When Ricky gets through baling, he'll come and mow for me and always mows along the road on the way up to the house and back down as he leaves.  Right now you'd think no one lived up here because you can't see the house from the road - just trees.

My freezer compartment in the refrigerator isn't very big so I'm thinking I may get a small freezer after the floor's replaced and get rid of the refrigerator out there, too.  It contributed to ruining the floor a year or more ago when the pipe froze.  I should eat what I have in that freezer compartment instead of cooking more things.  Finished my peach cobbler tonight.  I found a few cans of fruit cocktail in the pantry so may make one using that - wonder it is would be good?

Don't know anything else.  Still thinking about making some biscuits and chocolate gravy.  Mother used to make a dessert called Caramel Dumplings.  It was sooo good.  She made a caramel, then dropped spoonsful of dough into it and baked it, then turned the dumplings over in the caramel after they baked.  She served it with cream and I can still taste how good it was.  I've never made caramel so probably couldn't make it even if I tried.  It makes a big iron skillet full. 

Ron, hope today was a good day for you and Lou and, Jo, hope you're feeling better this afternoon.

I'll stop and find something cold to drink and watch some more TV.  Maybe another Gunsmoke will come on that I haven't seen.

Sleep well.  Judith, thanks for the information - really appreciate it.  You're so good at finding these links.

Comments

• loveskitties
    loveskitties Member Posts: 1,073
    1000 Comments Third Anniversary 100 Likes 25 Care Reactions

Hi Lorita,

Did some checking on Amazon and found this

Womens Crossbody Phone Bag Purse Pouch Wristlet Wallet Case w Card Zip Pocket

Price: $9.95  & FREE Returns
    Color: Black
    • Black
    $9.95
     Blue
    $9.95
     Pink$9.95  Purple$9.95
    • ★Brand New: crossbody purse made of water resistant smooth oxford fbaric, sturdy and durable, fashion design and comfortable touch. | Upgraded version: Larger than the similar bags on the market, enough to accommodate most large mobile phone models
    • ★Multi Pocket:4 zip-pockets make organization easier and safer. It can hold phones, keys, money, cards, cashes, drivers license, small slim wallet, passport, tickets,pen, and personal small items
    • ★This phone bag cards holder come with a detachable and adjustable shoulder strap can be used as crossbody bag/shoulder bag /cellphone purse / wristlet wallet /sports arm band. | Adjustable shoulder strap: 28.5" – 52"

Not waterproof but water resistant.  Most of the bags/waterproof coverings are made for the slim smart phones, but this one looks like it would fit a flip phone.

• loveskitties

Lorita,

Might this work?:

Clear Crossbody Purse Bag Stadium Approved Clear Tote Bag with Adjustable Shoulder Strap

On Amazon...made by GreenPine...just under $10.  Might be a bit bigger than you would like, but thought I would suggest you look at it.
  • Mint
    Mint Member Posts: 2,674
    Eighth Anniversary 2500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

Good morning

Took a day of rest yesterday.  Guess I will have to get back to it now. 

Made a blueberry cobbler from my frozen blueberries yesterday and it is really good.

Judith I’m thinking about not starting near as many plants this year.  Just mainly going to start things that I won’t be able to find at nursery.  Going to try and take things a little easier. 

Man coming to do maintenance on furnace today.  Didn’t wear a mask last year, guessing he won’t this year either.  Going to open windows in basement and upstairs and either set out on back porch or in garage with my mask.

Things did not work out to get moms furnace done Saturday.  Maybe today, we’ll see.

Got my meat transferred to my new freezer.  Going to try and get it eaten before I get my 1/4 beef.  

JoC continue to think of you.  

Take care everyone

• dayn2nite2
    dayn2nite2 Member Posts: 1,132
    Eighth Anniversary 1000 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Likes
    To continue the conversation from the last thread, yes I was a medical transcriptionist back then and continued to be one until the field basically died after voice recognition.  I work for a hotel chain now and I do have a part-time job doing editing for a medical transcription company, but the work just isn't enough to sustain anyone and the pay certainly isn't.  I was a medical secretary prior to that for the University of Florida in a number of different departments.

I will never forget how sad I was when I realized all those people were probably dead.  That day was also the day I realized something was VERY wrong with my mother.  I called her in Michigan to see if she'd heard what happened and she actually said "I'm too busy to watch that." and she seemed annoyed that I would call her about this huge catastrophe going on.  That day I made plans to move back there because I knew there was something seriously wrong - her personality was so different.
  • Lorita

Morning,

Another pretty morning - cool but no wind.  Girls have changed pastures - didn't get a count this morning.  Stormy and I took down the trash way before sunup - I don't like that but it's done.

Not in the mood to do much today but will finish up the taxes this afternoon. Really hated to get up this morning.

Thank you, loveskitties, that's just what I was looking for - now to decide which one to order - even saw some that were embroidered.

Sara - good idea not to do so much gardening next year - it takes a lot of work, especially when it's hot and you have to water every day.

When do you get your beef?  Will it be cut and wrapped for you or do you have to do that?   We've done that in the past - that was before Charles and I got married and when I did eat a bit of meat.  Glad you got your freezer so you can get ready for it.  How big is your new freezer? 

I thawed the wild blueberries I had in the freezer a couple of days ago and I'm thinking about making a blueberry cobbler. I tasted them and didn't get much of a taste so added some sugar and I'll add some lemon juice.  I used to make blueberry pies from canned wild blueberries and it always called for a bit of lemon juice so I'll do that.

Dayn2nite2 - when I was doing medical transcription and being a medical secretary I really enjoyed it.  I think part, or most, of it was the contact I had with the patients.  After I went to SWS I still had some patient contact but not as much.  I also sort of miss being a secretary and kind of slip back into it when I do paperwork but would not want to go back into the work force.  Way too old for that.

I watched some of the 9/11 things that were on TV this weekend but made me so sad to think of all those people being gone.  When Charles and I were watching I saw something falling from the buildings and mentioned it to him - didn't realize at the time that it was people jumping from the towers.  Now they're saying there's a really good chance of more things like that happening.

Getting some more of my contacts into my new phone.  One thing I'm going to have to watch - the volume control is on the side of the phone and I'll have to be careful to not touch it or the volume will go off.  I think that's what happened on the other one - and it happened either last night or this morning on this one.   

Jo, hope you're feeling better this morning.   Sending prayers and good wishes for your fast recovery.

Ron - looks like this new tropical storm may get you - maybe you'll just get rain.  If it would turn a bit to the left or north, we might get some rain from it.  They cut both meadows yesterday but if they bale it late today or tomorrow the rain would be great on the meadows.  Hope Lou's doing all right this morning.  Come and talk with us on the porch - it'll help you and we enjoy visiting with you. 

• Pooh Bear
    Pooh Bear Member Posts: 15
    10 Comments Second Anniversary

Dayn2nite2:

Your post about having been a "MEDICAL TRANSCRIPTIONIST" really caught my eye !

I was also a medical transcriptionist, worked from home from 1989 through about ??2010?? when I just could not take one more foreign speaking, gum-chewing, lazy, ill-mannered, ignorant doctor dictating a report he obviously couldn't care less about.  And for 8 cents a line??  So at some point a "line" goes from 65 characters including space bar to 70 characters.  Then a line was defined as 85 characters and hitting the space bar did NOT count as a character.  (Try reading a 3-page report that is one humongous run-on sentence.)  Oh and the kicker ... so we're up to 95 characters per line (still no space bar, no punctuation, and no return key) and they cut the pay from 8 cents a line to 6-1/2 cents a line !!   So ... one morning I called the service I worked for and said "I've just transmitted my last report.  Good-bye."  Of course they didn't beg me to stay or miss me, because it was cheaper to outsource the work to India or Bangladesh ... or wherever !

Best decision I ever made.  Although sometimes I still have bad dreams of a very difficult operative report

Here's wishing all us caregivers a peaceful, noneventful day

• ronald71111
    ronald71111 Member Posts: 1,213
    Tenth Anniversary 1000 Comments 250 Likes 100 Care Reactions

Gumbo was good last night, wish I could have brought the pot to the front porch.  Could have even fixed Jo a bowl for cajun healing power. Lou even enjoyed it when she was eating, five minutes later she was asking if she had any supper.  

Oldest brother called last night said my sister was visiting and all of them was coming for my birthday. Sure will be good to have family around. Youngest son usually comes and wr celebrate DIL; whose birthday is day after mine, and my birthday together. 

No rain here yet, just looking rainy. Suppose to be a chance of rain all week. Dont remember if I mentioned but Lou has to go tommorow for lab and I believe I've convinced her to have her shot.

Ron 

• jfkoc
    jfkoc Member Posts: 3,758
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions

Re taxes;

Storage….I order these by the case….one box per year. The clear is great because you can see what is inside. I have other sizes also and they are under every bed. I do not grow things but boy, I am the queen of storage. https://www.containerstore.com/s/our-sweater-box-case-of-5/d?q=clear+sweater+box&productId=11009280 I have these everywhere...all sizes….the tiney ones are especially good in the kitchen junk drawer https://www.containerstore.com/s/clear-latch-boxes/d?q=latch+boxes&productId=11010318
    You can order a side of beef and cut it up yourself????
    Not going to museum training this morning. It is to share tips for leading school tours through the Pompeii exhibit. I am not taking a group of children who are not vaccinated and may or maynot be vaccinated. Also will not take groups of homeschooled children. No, I am not standing on a soap box it is simply that a parent also comes along with a toddler or younger in a stroller. The adults are either talking to each other, on the phone or wandering around. It just does not work. Not certain if there is a docent left who will take that kind of group.
    Jo….hope you are mending
  • Rescue mom
    Rescue mom Member Posts: 988
    500 Comments Fourth Anniversary 5 Likes

Wow, a couple things here really jogged me….about storing a beef, I remember as a youngster people rented freezer space at a big (in my childhood memory) place they called “the locker.” Which was just a huge walk-in freezer.

We had local butchered cattle and hogs, but no home freezer space. So people bought half a cow or pig, have it butchered, then keep it at “the locker” until you went to get it.  The locker  didn’t sell any groceries, nor the meat itself, they just let you rent freezer space. I have not seen, heard or thought about that in decades. I wonder if this was common elsewhere, back in the 50s maybe. I know it shut down when I was still a kid.

Lol Judith if you could see how many of those clear storage boxes I have stuffed/stacked everywhere in my house all sizes!!  No file folders here either, just clear boxes. I’ve been trying to clear them out. I found one under the bed with clothes I have not worn in 10 years at least. It’s awful. We had a garage fire a while back, and the cardboard boxes I had there burned, and the plastic melted. Don’t know which was worse. But plastic with lids is way better inside house.

I got a couple of those clear cross-body bags when they became required for events, and they really are handy if all you carry is a phone. Now they just make me sad to see them because we have had so few events start back, and they’re not big enough for my daily use (keys, eyeglasses, money, cards, etc etc). It was problematical for events, for me, but rules require.

Rules….on 9-11 DH was out of state on business with a couple clients. They were supposed to fly back that afternoon, could not, and all rental cars were taken immediately. But they had a car they got earlier. They just kept it and drove 16 hours back. The lawyer kept saying they were going to be arrested on the way and charged with theft. They told the car company what they were doing, the co. was *very* unhappy, but I guess the company had other things going on. And DH turned it in ASAP when home. I was working in government then and tasked with locating some people in DC. Many feared they were at the Pentagon (they were supposed,to be but not); others were in the capital building and taken into protective hiding. It was very late when they were located. Not an easy thing to deal with. Everybody was emotional on so many levels, the nation was attacked and officials we knew personally were involved. And DH was on the road in what could have been a stolen car…..Lordy.

Sayra what you said really touched me. That flight that went into the ground…what heroes. No words, can’t imagine…. And now people can’t even get a shot for the good of themselves and others.

• loveskitties

RescueMom, I remember the "locker"!  My grandfather raised hogs and come Thanksgiving day the entire family came to help butcher and put up the meat.  We did it all...making sausage, scraple, cutting for roasts and ribs and pork chops.  It was a long day and all outside work.

They had a large freezer, but not nearly large enough for the amount created, so off to the locker the extra would go.  It was always cold which you need it to be for such a job.  These days it is way to warm on Thanksgiving to manage even if we were still doing it.

When 9/11 occurred, I was living and working in Florida.  My entire close family lived within 20 miles of the Pentagon.  Trying to get them on the phone to make sure all were ok was a long process.  It is so very sad to see that we as a country have gone from UNITED against the enemy, to being so self centered and uncaring of our fellow humans...in a short 20 years.

My first job was as a Medicare Claims examiner for a large insurance company.  We had to code the procedures on the bills from the hospitals and doctors so they could be processed by the computer.  I learned more than I ever thought about medical procedures...lol.

Ron, maybe you need to start a food service...you could make your great meals, freeze them and send out to all on the porch...then we could set a date to "eat together"...lol.  Hope you are spared excessive rain and flooding.

Hugs to all...stay safe and well.  

• ronald71111

Just have to throw my 2 cents in on butchering. Worse childhood memory is of a slaughter house a few blocks away from where I lived. When the wind was blowing just right, the stink would knock your pants off. Also, I hope they have a more humane way of butchering now.

Ron

• Lorita

Hi,

Didn't get the taxes done.  I was sitting in my chair and falling asleep so I went in and took a nap.  Maybe in the morning. 

Ron - Happy Birthday ahead of time - not sure of the date but do know you're still a youngster at 75.  How nice that you'll have family with you on that special day.

How awful to live close to a slaughterhouse.  I bet you hated that.  There's a little town maybe 20 miles east of here where people always took hogs and cattle to be slaughtered.  I hated to go there.  Now, they've built a meat market in our tiny town and I think they may be going to do that there.  Mike said they have pens behind the building.  Upsets me.

I remember when I was little daddy would butcher a couple of hogs and then he'd hang them in the trees on the north side of the house to drain.  Remember they throwed hot water on them and scraped them to get the hair off.  Then, they cut them up.  We always had tenderloin for breakfast the next day or day after.  And, I bet you all remember this - there was always a bowl of brains covered in water sitting next to the kitchen sink - with a saucer on top.  My parents liked to scramble those with eggs.  I  never, never tasted brains.  Daddy raised hogs and that's the kind of meat we had.  They made their own sausage and it was sooo good.  We had a smoke house and daddy would put the pork shoulders and hams in a big box and put salt or sugar on them to cure them.  The weather was different then and it was colder, earlier.

It wasn't until later years when we began to eat some beef.  Daddy would put a calf or yearling up in the barn to fatten up.  It would take him a long time to do it because he hated the thought - I can understand how he felt now.  He wasn't much of a meat-eater either. Ron, I'm sure he must have shot them.  Darwin told me where he would shoot one when he had to.  He always carried a rifle in his tractor - just in case - and he's taken care of a few for me.

Also had our own chickens and eggs.  We'd gather the eggs and clean them if needed and then take them into town and sell them by the case.  Charles and I did that when we were working at the VAMC.  I can remember sitting on the floor in the LR washing eggs.  If you all raised chickens and eggs, do you remember how it felt to break an egg in your hand when you were washing it - or to find a soft-shelled egg - how funny they felt.

I also remember the lockers and it had to have been in the early 50s.  There was a big one in the bigger town close to us. We'd take our meat down there and store it.  We also had an ice house and a cream station where people would sell cream.  My parents did that.  They'd milk and separate the cream and milk, then sell most of the cream and probably milk, too.

We got our first deep freeze in the mid 50s probably.  That was really something, being able to have your own frozen food and to make popsicles.  I ordered a little set where you could pour something into the container shaped like a popsicle, put in a stick and freeze it. 

You know, those were the good old days - we didn't have a lot to worry about and everyone was in the same shape as we were - no rich people around and everyone worked and enjoyed it.  Back then people were pretty well self-sufficient - only a few things they had to buy at the grocery store.  Sad that kids now don't even know where things come from except from the store.  I'm glad that I grew in that era. 

Just checked the barn and it's empty - everyone's down by the pond and most in the water.  They so enjoy it but it worries me when they swim across and take the little babies with them - sometimes, most often, one cow walks around the pond dam with the little ones.

Ron, I bet you do get some rain from the new storm - can't remember it's name.  Kind of wish it would curve a bit north or west so we'd get some. 

I kept thinking about a crossbody thing to carry the phone in and was thinking I'd seen something like that here.  I looked in the one place I hadn't looked and there it was.  It's a tri-fold black, nylon one with two pockets inside that are clear, another long one on top that zips open and another one on the outside that pouches out so you can carry bigger things.  Glad I kept looking.  I'll only use it around here so I won't lose the phone out in the pasture.  I've lost all kinds of things out there from feed pans to sorting sticks to ....  I have just the right sized pocket on my purse where I put the phone when I go somewhere.

I also think of those people in the plane they brought down in Penn.  I remember one woman was talking to her husband on the phone and he told her they had a plan, then said "let's roll" and they took over the plane and crashed it.  They were probably going to head for the White House or Capital Building.  Remember how everyone had an American Flag on their car or PU.  The stores sold flag material you could buy by the yard and make your own flags.  I made several, even put in grommets - and you know, those flags lasted longer than the kind you buy.  Those don't last too long out here because of the wind we almost always have.  Sad that we can't get back to the way it was then.

Time for the world news - always bad things but I watch for a while anyway.  Looks like the rain and bad weather has already hit Houston.  I have a niece down there in Sugarland and a good friend I used to write to.  Mother Nature is very upset with us, isn't she?

• Lorita
    Guess it's my day to find things.  Found my 2019 income papers in a closed folder in a bag I keep important papers in so they're all together just in case. Guess that was the safe place I mentioned.
  • Iris L.
    Iris L. Member Posts: 4,306
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

Judith, you mentioned on the other thread keeping my old clothes.  My old "fat" clothes?  No, I have been happily packaging them up to donate to Goodwill.  Unfortunately I do have a sense of nostalgia for several of my nice fat items.  But my body is swimming in those clothes.

I do have a new, unanticipated "problem."  I can feel my sit bones!  Actually, I can feel my bones all over my body.  Before my bones were covered in "meat."  Now it's uncomfortable to sit on a hard chair.  Oh, boy, who woulda thunk?  

To all you medical transcriptionists, thank you so much for all that you did!     I really appreciated having my medical charts transcribed.  I would have had no problem doing them myself, because I was a great typist.  In the summer, I typed for the Mayor's Task Force in NY--absolutely no mistakes were allowed nor Wite-Out.  But I suppose most male doctors were not that good at typing, nor would they have taken the time to get their charts done if they had had to do them themselves.  My college friend was a legal secretary.  She said the lawyers couldn't spell or speak properly, so she decided to become a lawyer herself.  She went on to edit legal textbooks.

Tomorrow will be Election Day in CA.  We'll see what happens. I am going to vote in person. 

Iris

• Mint

Good morning

Got the maintenance done on the furnace where mom lives yesterday and the man came and did mine.  Changed her fire alarm batteries and thermostat battery.  Feels good to get that off my plate.

The meat will be cut up and wrapped.  My freezer is 5 cubic feet.  Mr Google says you need 4 ft for each 1/4  beef.  Hopefully that is accurate.

My sister is a medical secretary in the pathology department three days a week.  She does medical transcription at home the other three days.  She has been with her present company quite a long time.  Before that she would switch companies every year or two to get a raise.  She said it was the only way to get one.

Have never eaten Gumbo Ron but like trying new things.

JoC hope this day is a little bit better

Take care everyone

• Jo C.
    Jo C. Member Posts: 2,916
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Likes

Weird place to find myself still not myself yet; alternating between being deeply fatigued and flat out to being bored . . . . during one of my "bored" periods, I decided to watch a video on how to tie a scarf . . . . I have never worn scarves, but perhaps it is time I learn how to tie one, thought I.

So; here I share Nordstrom's video on scarf tying with you all; you too can learn to tie a scarf to pull it all together and be truly chic too . . . . so many ways . . .

https://www.nordstrom.com/browse/style-guide/womens-tips/how-to-tie-a-scarf?breadcrumb=Home/Style Guide/Women's Fashion Tips & How-Tos/How to Tie a Scarf

Truth be told . . . .

Watched video then rolled on floor laughing hysterically . . . . as in what the heck . . . as if!

J.

• Jo C.
    Jo C. Member Posts: 2,916
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Likes

Oh Ron; I would LOVE a bowl of gumbo . . . . I have never eaten gumbo, but it sounds so good and I know that cajun gumbo love cures what ails ya.   Now I am craving it and no Cajun restaurant to be had.

Thank you dear friends for thinking of me and for continuing prayers; it is deeply appreciated more than can be counted.

It has been a strange time. Still not at all up to snuff.  My serum creatinine level rose and no one seems to know why.   Scary.  A CT Scan has been done and I wait for results.  However; in the meantime, the creatinine level has dropped to high normal level for female; I so hope it drops even more into at least the mid range.  I am wondering if antibiotics were somehow involved as I had so many abx prescribed prior to the procedure and the had them during the procedure.  BUN was normal which is good; in fact, ALL other extensive labs are in the normal range.  BP low, so no issue there either.

Deep fatigue and weakness still significant issue.    Took a shower and shampoo sitting down in the shower yesterday; by the time I dried off and blew my hair dry I was way down and out and wobbly . . . . ended up needing a nap.  Procedure I had was a simple one, should have been up and at 'em with no problem by next day or two, but that has not happened .   All other labs are normal, so nothing seems off in that way.  Had to get out a walker and hang onto it when moving . . . . weirder and weirder things seem to be.

Have now got a really good understanding of how it feels with our LOs who will not eat or drink.  I had four days with no bite of food; barely sipping water - I was SO nauseated, but even when not nauseated, the idea of food or drink was repugnant to me.  ME?   Not liking food?  Cannot be; but it was.   No amount of coaxing myself or even offering myself bits of this or that in tiny amounts helped; truly felt repugnant.  This then, I thought, is what it is like for our LOs who are resistive to oral intake.  I would say, check the meds - so many can cause just such outcomes including antibiotics.   Sips of fluid; tiny bits at a time.  Tiny bits of soft food easily eaten with mild flavors, but still, may not want any.  NO piling things on a plate; less is more in that scenario.  Had to just wait it out.   Do not know why that happened as I was by that time not on any meds.

Pretty much still down.  BUT - appetite has returned and boy am I hungry!   Sure would like some hearty meals, but it will be whatever.   I am still under the weather so to speak and find myself dozing off and on during day.  Reading Louise Penny's books in order; boy is she ever a good writer and not a woman's writer - great mystery, etc.  Set in Quebec with the Surete and the characters are awesome.   Not a lot of good TV; guess we are too between seasons.  Would love some good old black and white movies, but they are not exactly being offered up right now.  As it is, I fall asleep in the midst of whatever anyway.  Whine, whine, whine.

Election day today re California special recall election of Governor Newsome.   Recall brought by rabid political machinations; only a few months till regular election anyway.   IF the top candidate running against the governor in recall bid wins, he has stated his FIRST action will be to forbid mask mandates and to forbid mandatory vaccination requirements by any entity.  What????  State has worked so hard to keep numbers as low as possible.   It is ALL political.  Have to say; may the intentionally evil entity lose and lose dramatically - BUT his numbers are up due to specific political party alliance; he has a huge financial war chest and beaucoup ads.  Hard to believe this could be a possible outcome which can cost lives, but it is so.

The LAPD and other enforcement agencies have a lawsuit going to court to forbid mandatory vaccination requirements of law enforcement (fire fighters doing this too); high percentage of law enforcement and fire fighters are refusing vaccination. The LAPD motto which is even printed on the sides of the patrol cars?  "To protect and serve."  Oh my; seems "to protect" is questionable depending on one's politics.  Again; political and it shouldn't be.  For shame upon all.

NOTE:  As in all or most all, "mandatory" vaccine requirements - IF one chooses not to vaccinate, then that person must have a weekly negative COVID test.   That is simple - just a test and most companies will pay for that; but since it is political, that little test alternative is not spoken of in verbal pandering.

Judith, you are spot on with your decision regarding the museum tours with children; you are wise.   So glad you are staying safe. 

Yes; I too remember 9/11 and how I turned on TV news to catch the weather report not knowing anything was happening; and suddenly there was the view of the first tower burning and I was not sure of what I was seeing - not understanding until . . . . . OMG!!!!!  There are not words - beyond horror.   Those who brought down the plane in the field - they are heroes beyond measure.  My heart still feels it all very deeply.

It is also heartening to see that on each 9/11, that the UK has its royal soldiers and band go in array and play our national anthem in honor and remembrance. 

How I wish we were still united as a people, but politics have become dark and divisive when lives depend upon unity.   For shame.

Our granddaughter's little home in Louisiana is a total hurricane loss; her husband's work truck a total loss.   Most belongings gone.  They were terribly under insured due to cost.  How they will come back, I  am not sure.  They are a lovely little family with two children who work hard,  are active in church, are family oriented and did their best; now they are without anything they had known as "home."  AND . . . during the storm they had to evacuate; so went from Louisiana to Alabama - and my goodness, granddaughter's gallbladder had to be removed during the storm on an emergency basis - there she was - in a strange place in Alabama with doctors and hospital she did not know, with no home to be in.  Sometimes too much is just too much.  So hope and pray that they will be able to recoup somehow.

I too remember the times when so many were buying sides of beef that were cut up and packaged and then stored in a rented freezer locker.  We never did that, but so many did.  Won't have to worry about a meat shortage Sayra; you will be fixed just fine.  Seems to me that if one has a freezer of meat, and has "put up" veggies and fruits to supplement, that will put one in good stead; sadly, I have done neither.   I would have no idea as to how to put up veggies and fruits; my mother used to can upon occasion, but it wasn't anything done routinely, we lived in town surrounded by towns and not the country; canning was not routine.

Well; this hungry old gal is wimping out, time to go - may you all be well and may all go well.  Lots of love being sent out to one and all,

J.

• loveskitties

Jo, so very good to see you posting again...and very glad to hear you have regained your appetite!

I know when I had major surgery for cancer 11 years ago, I could not stand the smell of food at the hospital.  I was there 3 weeks and lost a lot of weight...guess it was good I had extra to spare going in...lol.

I drank a small juice glass of Insure several times a day until I got back to wanting food.  I was very fortunate that my mother was here to cook whatever appealed.  Small portions are the key to getting a patient to at least sample the offering.  I remember with the kids,  "just eat one bite", when they didn't want what was on the plate...lol.

Watching the news is so depressing that I have given up on it from the TV...I check on the internet to see what the top headlines are from both left and right sources and only read more if the news is about humanitarian issues.  

The weather here is more fall like now...warm during the day and cooler nights.  Glad for that but not looking forward to winter at all...thank goodness I have family close by for shoveling to make sure I can get out the door when it snows....lol.  I always like to get the car shoveled out in case I need to go somewhere, but avoid driving then if at all possible.

Lorita, so glad you came across you lost tax papers.  It is amazing how we put things in a safe place and then can't locate them.  Once lost a very special ring for years!  Then finally came across it while looking for something else...lol

Wishing all a good day and even better tomorrow.

• Lorita

Hi,

My pick-up is coming home today!! I've missed driving it and even seeing it sit in front of the carport. Still no door seals but they'll keep looking and not give up.  I'll figure out a way to keep the cab covered and just have to really bundle up this winter when I'm not driving it but will have to really bundle up when I have to go get feed.  Robert will bring it home this afternoon sometime.

Girls are staying in the MH yard today - don't blame them - it's always breezy up there and lots of shade.

Iris, I can kind of relate to what you said about bones.  Twenty plus years ago I lost 84 lbs. and what I remember is being able to feel the bone on top of my shoulder.  I can still it feel it even though I've gained some of it back.  Weighed this morning and I've lost another five pounds - 30 this past year - more to go.  I donated most of my big clothes too except for the ones I could alter.

Judith, those storage boxes look really nice.  Good to be able to see what's inside without having to open them.  I agree with Jo - you're absolutely doing the right thing about the museum tours.  For the life of me I can't understand why people don't want to get vaccinated or wear a mask.  Such a little thing to do to protect them and the people around them.

Jo - good to see your post and sense that you're feeling more like yourself.  Thanks for the link on scarves.  I've always worn lots of scarves but usually just did them the same way - this will be different.  For some reason though I don't seem to wear wooly, winter scarves. 

Ron - I've never eaten gumbo either, sorry to say.  I know it's very good.  When everyone gets to feeling really good we should have a gumbo party on the front porch.  That would be fun.

Sara - glad you got those little things that nag our memory taken care of.  Did the furnace guy wear a mask when he came to your house?  What's the first cut of beef you're going to cook?

Odd thing - this morning I was doing something with my phone and found some voice mails from last Wednesday.  How in the world they got on this phone I have no idea.  I didn't get it until Friday and activated it on Saturday.  Found one from Bryon, another from Mike, one from Sandy and several more.  They were kind of worried because they couldn't reach me.  That phone situation really messed up things.  Found one from someone named Mickey who was going to deliver the AC but he said he didn't install and to call him if I had questions.  Of course I didn't get the whole phone number and can't get that message back now.  So - called Sears - got another girl who was for sure reading from a script, etc.  Anyway, got me upset again.  She said they could reimburse me for installation if the delivery people couldn't do it.  What???  That will not work.  Called back and got someone named Zos who assured me they do install them.  I still have maintenance contracts on two ACs, washer and refrigerator until next August.  I'd cancel them but I've invested so much in them and the other AC is acting up and the refrigerator is old so guess I'll stick it out.  At any rate, think twice or three times before you deal with Sears.  They used to be such a good, reliable company - not so now.

Loveskitties - I'm glad I found the tax papers, too.  I always kind of compare what I'm sending in this year with what happened last year.

Ir's warmer this morning and a lot more humid but the wind is blowing.  Northern Oklahoma may get a little rain from a cool front tonight and in the morning and southern Oklahoma may get a little from Nicolas.  Ron, you'll probably get some rain from this one. 

Jo, hope you continue to improve - at least you have your taste and appetite back now.  Just take it easy and don't overdue.

Sara - I made that blueberry cobbler and it was delicious if I do say so myself.  Used about half a bad of thawed wild blueberries with just a little sugar and lemon juice on them.  I'll do that again.  Couldn't be anything easier than making that cobbler.  The oven is heated by the time you have the batter mixed.  This time I melted the butter in a pyrex dish starting in the cold oven as it heated.  Worked pretty well.

So, all I have to do now is write all the deductions down, make a copy and get it in the mail tomorrow.  Next year I'll do better.

Better stop and get those taxes done.

• Iris L.
    Iris L. Member Posts: 4,306
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

Jo C, don't rush refeeding.  Remember the BRAT diet: bananas rice applesauce and toast.  Modify as desired and advance as tolerated.

The first time I tried gumbo in New Orleans, I had it three times in one day, it was so delicious!  Yum yum!

Iris

• jfkoc

Interesting Gumbo article and the recipe is the one that I have from the 
    Commander's Place.

https://www.thechoppingblock.com/blog/gumbo-yaya
  • BethL
    BethL Member Posts: 838
    Ninth Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Likes 25 Care Reactions

Jo, I am glad to hear you are improving. Praying for a full recovery. It sounds like you are on the right path.

I've never eaten gumbo either. I have been to New Orleans, and I've had beignets, alligator, bananas foster but I missed out on the gumbo and jambalaya. 

Not much going on here today. I keep up with garden maintenance. Right now it's weeding, watering and beginning to cut back plants. I also have started removing the garden art - it goes inside for the winter. Not nearly winter-like yet, still in the high 70s to high 80s. 94 over the past weekend.

Blessings to all.  Beth

• ronald71111

Had the shrimp gumbo again tonight and like soup it gets better everytime its warmed up. One of my aunts was cajun and mom learned a lot of her cajun dishes from her. We mainly had the chicken and sausage gumbo but Lou doesnt care for chicken so I fix shrimp gumbo. I'm also lazy and buy the gumbo mix, it's good but cant touch made from scratch gumbo. The roux is hardest part, you have to be careful because it will burn easy. Mom always had it on medium heat stirring constantly. Beth talking about banana foster reminded me sometimes when we would go to Copeland we would have the banana foster before our meal where we would be to full for it after the meal. You can always take your left overs home but not the banana foster. 

Took Lou for her 1st covid shot today and 2nd is scheduled for October. Yeah!!!

Ron

• jfkoc

Great Banana's Foster story....shortened version.

In Dallas for market. I make a reservation for dinner for 4 of us. My friend Debbie is pleased because they have, you guessed it, Banana's Foster. She talked about it all the way to the restaurant. We get there, are seated and  order our entrees. Debbie additionally orders a lot of stuff "for the table" mainly because she wanted it. 

Comes time for dessert and she orders the Banana's Foster. and was told the unfortunately they had run out of banana's. To this she replied that it was not a problem because she had some in the car. She went out, brought them into the restaurant and had her dessert and no, I do not think it was "for the table".

• BethL
    BethL Member Posts: 838
    Ninth Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Likes 25 Care Reactions

Great story, Judith!

I have a recipe for Bananas Foster. If anyone is interested, let me know and I'll post it. 

• Mint

Good morning everyone

No Lorita, no mask in site. Guessing probably not vaccinated either.  Knew that would probably be the case.  Had house, porch and basement windows open. I worked out in the back yard.  They bill you.  So only had a very few minutes of contact outside when he first arrived and had my KF94 on for that.

Hadn’t thought about which cut of beef I will eat first.  Just thinking about having good beef and thankful.  Really looking forward to a good hamburger, hope it tastes like the ones we had when we had our own beef.

Hope you get those taxes sent in so you won’t have to think about that for awhile.  I always get mine done as soon as I can.  Got my basement swept yesterday, fan and dehumidifier cleaned.  Felt good to get that done too.  

Ron I would probably prefer shrimp gumbo too.  Not a big sausage fan, do like chicken.  My grandma made good sausage from scratch, none compares.

Probably would like banana foster but don’t know if I would make it.  Sounds good, have never eaten it.

Made a new chicken recipe yesterday.  Air fried a seasoned chicken thigh.  Made a sauce of butter, soy sauce ( my own version) and honey.  When thigh done cooked it in sauce for a few minutes.  Will have that again.

JoC glad you could holler out onto the porch.  Some antibiotics will mess with your kidneys as well as dehydration.  Sounds like you probably were dehydrated. That wasn’t helping your weakness any either.

Ron glad Lou is agreeing to starting the vaccination process.  

Still warm and dry here too.  Don’t think the heat feels as intense though and have had a few days that felt like fall. This is the last full week of summer.

Take care everyone

• dayn2nite2
    dayn2nite2 Member Posts: 1,132
    Eighth Anniversary 1000 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Likes
    @Pooh Bear...yep...the overseas outsourcing didn't actually kill the industry, it seems to have been voice recognition, which turned us into editors and much of the work is edited by the physicians themselves, who are all pretty tech-savvy.  I was thinking the other night why I'm still typing and realized it's more out of habit than anything else.  I think I'm about done with it, though.  I don't even make "play money" at it anymore and I could work 2 hours a week at my main job and make the same, so I think my last report is going to be coming soon too.
  • Lorita

Morning,

Got my taxes done and mailed!!  One thing to mark off my to-do list.  I've discovered flat-rate mailing.  I've seen those envelopes but never inquired about them.  I called the Post Master the other day and asked him about it and he had the mailcarrier leave one in my mailbox.  Seems you can put anything in it (there's different sizes) that will fit and it's a flat rate - the size I had was $7.95 which is much better than a trip to Muskogee. 

While I was in "town" I mailed my taxes, got about ten gallons of ethanol-free gas for the Gator and topped off the car's gas.  Then went in, with my mask on (both places) and got a gallon of milk, two dozen eggs and sherbet and ice cream bars (one of my weaknesses).  They had the eggs in a different refrigerator - should have asked what else they had in there.  I'm going to make some yogurt this afternoon.  I've used my yogurt maker years ago and it worked all right - not real happy with plain yogurt but you can always add fruit or a little bit of sugar.  I didn't take Stormy because it's really humid and sunny out.  Sara, I worker the KN95 mask and by the time I finished with what I was doing and left town I was sweating inside the mask - but this winter it'll feel good.

Glad you got your furnace serviced and the other things finished and didn't have to be close to the furnace man.  Did you spray the area where he was when he finished?

I'm just a country girl and I've never eaten all of those things you all mentioned.  I read the recipe for gumbo so guess I won't be eating that with the meat in it.  One of the Chiefs of SWS I worked with went to Tulane University and she talked about how good the food was in Louisiana.

Judith, I loved the story about bananas foster.  She was really determined to have some at the restaurant, wasn't she?  And, she didn't share?  

Beth, I'd like for you to post the recipe.  Might try it if it's not too complicated when I get some bananas. 

I think that little convenience store could make a killing if they'd stock more refrigerated items instead of all the beer and pop - they could have fruit and some vegetables and other things.  Just remembered, I dreamed about potatoes last night.  Maybe I'll have a baked one later today.

There's a meat market in town - just been open a few months.  There was a wonderful, old building that used to be a hotel and grocery and feed store when I was growing up.  They've torn down the building but used a few of the big, building rocks on the front of the new store.  There were at least a dozen vehicles parked and I asked the store clerk why all the cars and she said they had a lot of employees.  They actually do everything there from slaughtering to selling the beef.  I don't like that at all.  The guy who owns it is the son of a younger boy I went to school with - lives about a mile from me.  I took a picture of the building for Carol but for some reason it hasn't stayed in the phone.  Took one of Kitt after I got home and it's there and I did the same thing so don't know what happened.

My PU didn't make it home yesterday.  Tyler said the owner would  probably bring it home but he does mechanic work, too, so must have been really busy.  Maybe today - no big hurry, I guess.  As soon as I talk with Robert about Car Shield, I'll cancel my membership.  Burns me up when they say you don't pay a thing for towing.  I had to so guess that's if you live next door to the repair shop, or in the same town.  I'm sticking with AAA.

Well, that was interesting.  My post disappeared but somehow it posted. 

Tomorrow is delivery day for the AC, supposedly.  I'm not going to hold my breath.  Sears actually called yesterday to talk to me about extending my warranties on the two ACs, washer and refrigerator (they're under warranty until Aug. 2022.  I told her I wasn't sure I was going to renew and might cancel anyway.  Told her why and she checked and assured me installation is included (I knew that anyway).  So, may have to fight with them tomorrow.  Worst scenario - they bring it and leave it in the utility room and when Shaun replaces the floor, he can install it.  I'm so tired of fighting with Sears.  Take heed everyone if you're thinking about contracts with them.  They used to be so reliable - no trouble at all.  All I had to do was call the number and they came out the next Thursday and took care of what was needed.  Guess everything's falling apart now.  Sad times for sure.

I better stop before something else happens to this post.    Jo, do hope you're feeling much better today.  Just take it easy.

Ron, how's Lou today?  So glad you and she enjoyed the gumbo.  Did you say you had eaten chocolate gravy? 

I wanted to get a good count on the girls this morning so had closed the gate but still wasn't able to - too much moving around.  I'm going to for sure this afternoon.  Everyone I saw was okay.  Rose Bud was laying in the shade with a couple of her sisters, or kids.  They went into the barn early this morning - before 8.  There was rain north of us last night - up to 2" in places but nothing here. Looks like Western Oklahoma may be getting some good rain.  They really need it.

I'll be back later.  

• Rescue mom
    Rescue mom Member Posts: 988
    500 Comments Fourth Anniversary 5 Likes

Sayra, I saw a food story Sunday that talked about a sauce of soy sauce and butter. I never thought of that combo, but it sounds really good to me. Bet it would be great on fish, too.

All this about gumbo led me to go get some. We went to NOLA a lot, I think they must have more great restaurants per capita than anywhere. (we were foodies).

I’d try to make gumbo, but mine never turned out good enough for the time and effort. Then I recently found a place nearby that makes the best I ever had anywhere, better than Commanders, etc. IMO. The depth of flavor is amazing. They use chicken, shrimp, sausage, and I think some pork, but it’s the “broth”, the roux, that give the richness…and all I have to do is call and order I rarely eat hot soup in summer (and I sure don’t get excited about it lol) but that gumbo is the exception.

I loved Bananas Foster but did better making Banana Foster Bread Pudding. Very easy. Tons of recipes via Google.

Before setting out for gumbo I was dealing with car mechanics. My car lost a seal in the floorboard so water would come up through on my feet. Not good when we’re still in high rainy season with more road flooding than usual. As Lorita found,  parts for older cars (mine is 20) can be a problem…they found the part, now waiting for the fix.

Lorita, did you know Sears declared bankruptcy a couple years ago and closed most stores? Anything you can get from them now, seems like, is great. But I’d be careful about expecting much more in the future. They are basically out of business. As you said, it’s a shame, we used to get so much from them. But they’re gone now, in my area there’s not even a phone. We had So many complaints about them for fraud, contract violations,  etc etc. it’s great you have gotten responses.

And the continuing clean-out. I’m getting rid of my former “work clothes” many not old at all.  A local women’s shelter said they really need office clothes in my size, and I do it better if I know they are wanted/needed.

Was at a medical lab for some tests, and it’s the only place I’ve been where the staff was really strict about having people wear masks properly. (And enforced lots of spacing). I’ve given up trying to understand the antis, I just do my best to keep a distance and wash wash wash hands. At least the Cali recall failed, some good news this week. I’ve already seen big correlation between how the vote went and state COVID rates.

Jo you mentioned Southern Living magazine. I and most everybody I knew and their families! takes it for years. “Everybody” took it.It’s high-quality writing/content (as lifestyle magazines go) and production. Their food stories are excellent; also a lot about gardening and travel destinations, and interiors/home decor. It’s southern oriented, but they can define “southern” pretty broadly. I wish I could send you some, when I was sicker, magazines were all I could handle.

Got plane tickets for a family reunion in Georgia in October. I have not been anywhere, since pandemic….at least all are vaccinated, and most activity will be outside.

So good to see Jo sounding better!

• ronald71111

Cant believe it! Lou and little bit left me along last night and I slept for 7 hours. Didn't even know that was possible. Been a good day today, Lou has complained a little with a sore arm from the shot but overall been a good day. I asked her PCP nurse about the redo on lab and what the low thyroid would do. Was told, weight gain, hair loss and memory. Didn't need to hear memory, already there. 

Ron

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney