Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Stage 5/6 straight to Stage 8

Ed1937
Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions
Yesterday morning I received a call from MC. When they did checks in the morning, they found my wife unresponsive, with blood coming out of her mouth. They had her taken by ambulance to the hospital. I met Jennifer, our daughter, at the hospital. Wife seemed to be doing pretty well. She was alert, knew everybody, and knew she was in the hospital. But she wanted to go home. They did a stool sample, and there was blood in it. Doc suspected a stomach bleed, and said they could try to treat it with medicine, or they could put a scope down her stomach to see what was going on. That would have required an anesthetic. I told him to try to treat it with medicine, since it did not appear to be anything major at the time. Jennifer had to leave because she was in a lot of physical pain. So Carole and I talked for quite some time. She was very much "with it", and repeatedly told me how much she loved me, at one time saying "I love you more than you will ever know". Then after a while, she started having pain. She tried to get out of bed, but I told her she couldn't. Then I peeled back the sheets, thinking she had a BM in the bed. But it was all blood. When they got it cleaned up, the nurse told me that her BP dropped quite a lot, and she would be passing. They asked me if I wanted them to treat it like hospice would, keeping her comfortable. I told them yes, but to let nature take it's course. The doc ordered morphine through IV. This worked almost immediately, and she fell asleep. But a little later, she would cry out in pain. So I asked the nurse to give her more morphine. She told me the doctor ordered it every four hours, and it had only been one hour. I told her I wanted to talk to the doctor because at this point in the game, if she got it every fifteen minutes, that would be OK with me. She contacted the doctor, and he ordered a morphine drip, which kept her comfortable until the end, some seventeen hours after being told she would pass. I'm doing OK, but it still hasn't sunk in yet.

Comments

• Iris L.
    Iris L. Member Posts: 4,306
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

I'm so sorry, Ed!  Please accept my condolences in the sudden loss of your beloved wife.

Iris L.

• harshedbuzz
    harshedbuzz Member Posts: 4,364
    Seventh Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Insightfuls Reactions 500 Likes
    Dear Ed-

Please accept my sympathy on the passing of your dear wife. 

HB
  • 60 falcon
    60 falcon Member Posts: 201
    Fifth Anniversary 100 Comments 5 Insightfuls Reactions 5 Likes
    Ed, I'm so sorry to hear this.
  • Scooterr
    Scooterr Member Posts: 168
    100 Comments Second Anniversary 5 Likes
    Ed, my heart goes out to you. I'm so sorry Ed
  • CStrope
    CStrope Member Posts: 487
    100 Care Reactions Third Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions

OMG, definitely not what we normally are prepared to happen so quickly after we place our spouse.  But I'm so glad she didn't suffer for a long time.  Sending good thoughts and prayers

• easy23
    easy23 Member Posts: 200
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes
    So sorry for your loss....
  • Bill_2001
    Bill_2001 Member Posts: 114
    Fifth Anniversary 100 Likes 100 Care Reactions 25 Insightfuls Reactions
    Dear Ed,
    I am reading this through tears. I am so sorry for the loss of your dear wife. Hold on to her words of love forever.

I thought I would be ready for my wife to go, but reading your post tells me otherwise. Grief is the price we pay for love. 

I pray for you and your family, and may the Lord bring you peace in the coming days.

• Lills
    Lills Member Posts: 156
    Sixth Anniversary 100 Comments 5 Care Reactions

Oh, I'm so sorry for your loss!  I wish you comfort and strength ahead!!  I'm so glad her final words were expressing her love to you.  Cherish that!

• A losing hand.
    A losing hand. Member Posts: 44
    Tenth Anniversary 10 Comments
    Ed,  Sorry for your loss.  Take care of yourself.
  • M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,722
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions
    Oh Ed.  Oh my.
  • June45
    June45 Member Posts: 365
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Comments 5 Insightfuls Reactions 5 Care Reactions
    Dear Ed, I can't even imagine what your last 24 hours have been like.  I am so sorry for you and your family's loss. I am glad that you had those last moments and words with your wife.
  • dayn2nite2
    dayn2nite2 Member Posts: 1,132
    Eighth Anniversary 1000 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Likes
    Oh my gosh, how shocking for you and your family.  I'm so sorry.  I think absolutely keeping her as comfortable as possible was the right thing to do and I would just say to you try to rest as much as you can, even if it's just sitting in a chair (because I don't know if you can sleep or not).  Be kind to yourself during this time, and give yourself a chance to catch your breath.
  • Twin Mom
    Twin Mom Member Posts: 81
    Seventh Anniversary 10 Comments
    Ed, I am so sorry.  I am happy you were able to be with her.  Please take care of yourself and know you did everything right by her.
  • SQBEAR50
    SQBEAR50 Member Posts: 104
    Seventh Anniversary 100 Comments 5 Likes

I'm so sorry for your loss.

Nicole 

• Mint
    Mint Member Posts: 2,678
    Eighth Anniversary 2500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes
    Ed I am so sorry.
  • Jo C.
    Jo C. Member Posts: 2,916
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Likes

Oh my gosh, Ed.   How horribly stunning a turn of events this is; I am deeply and truly so very sorry.  In all of this, you were gifted with Carole's heartfelt words of how deeply she loves you; I am glad that you were with her to hear that and that you were able to advocate for her comfort and relief from pain as she experienced the final moments of her journey.

I send my deepest condolences to you and your family; we will certainly be thinking of you and holding you in our hearts and prayers. 

Your Forum friend,

J.

• mrl
    mrl Member Posts: 166

Oh Ed,

I'm stunned. God Bless You, many prayers coming your way.

Michele

• Vitruvius
    Vitruvius Member Posts: 323
    100 Care Reactions Third Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions

You have my deepest, sincerest sympathy. Please take care. I'm sure your family will support you. 

• A. Marie
    A. Marie Member Posts: 118
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes
    Dear Mayor Ed, you have been such a comfort to so many on this forum that I hope we can provide some comfort to you in return. I'm so sorry for the passing of your dear wife so soon after her placement. But at the same time, both she and you have been suffering for a long time. Her suffering is over now, and I hope that you can find peace in your devoted family and in the memories of your life together.  And I'm glad that you and she were able to have some last words of love before she went.
  • Crushed
    Crushed Member Posts: 1,444
    Tenth Anniversary 1000 Comments 100 Likes 100 Care Reactions

Sending every warmth.  we sometimes forget that our loved ones are vulnerable to allkinds of medical conditions.  hang in there

• Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions
    Thank you, everybody. She had six of our eight living children at her bedside when she passed. I held her left hand, and our son, who lived with us, held her right. She is at peace, and she will not have to see stage eight because of dementia. I am able to sleep for maybe an hour before waking up thinking about it.
  • Joydean
    Joydean Member Posts: 1,498
    1000 Comments Third Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes
    Ed my sincere condolences to you and your family. You knew her love for you was as strong as yours for her. Glad you got to hear one more time her be able to express them. Sending prayers for you and your family. What a blessing to have them there together with you both.
  • Stuck in the middle
    Stuck in the middle Member Posts: 1,167
    1000 Comments Fifth Anniversary 5 Care Reactions 5 Likes
    So sorry, Ed.  God bless you.
  • Quilting brings calm
    Quilting brings calm Member Posts: 2,408
    500 Likes 1000 Comments Fourth Anniversary 250 Insightfuls Reactions

Ed - I’m so sorry for this sudden loss of the matriarch of your family.  It sounds like she had some  of that terminal clarity  that people mention, and you got to say your final goodbyes.  Whatever the illness was was probably not fixable by the point it showed up, even if you had gone  to the surgical option.   I’m sure it came as a shock to you and your offspring. 

It will take some time to process and to adjust- not that you will ever be quite the same.  Please come converse  with us here as you feel able to.   

• Lorita
    Lorita Member Posts: 4,319
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

Ed, please accept my condolences on your loss.  We never know what the next day or hour will bring.  You can be comforted by the thought that you were a loving caregiver for your wife.  She expressed her love for you just as you had done for her.

We're all here if you need us.  Glad her family was with her as she passed from this earth.

• ​fesk
    ​fesk Member Posts: 444
    Legacy Membership 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Likes
    I am very sorry for your loss.
  • May flowers
    May flowers Member Posts: 758
    500 Comments Third Anniversary
    Wow, I am so sorry.
  • Cherjer
    Cherjer Member Posts: 227

Dear Ed,

I am so sorry to hear about the passing of you dear wife. May she rest in peace. Your caregiving was unbelievable. What love you both showed to each other.

• ImMaggieMae
    ImMaggieMae Member Posts: 1,015
    250 Likes 500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Care Reactions
    Dear Ed, I am so so shocked and sorry. Writing this through tears. You were with her at the end and thankfully you were able to talk with her and you both had a chance to express your love. Advocating for her and her comfort at the end was your last gift to her. Please pass on my condolences to your family. You are lucky to have them around you. Please take care of yourself. This was so unexpected.
  • Hoot619
    Hoot619 Member Posts: 342
    100 Comments 25 Care Reactions Second Anniversary
    Ed, I'm glad your family was with you and your wife at the end. Keep you and family in my prayers

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more