Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Stage 5/6 straight to Stage 8

Comments

• Pam BH
    Pam BH Member Posts: 195
    100 Comments Second Anniversary
    Ed, I'm absolutely stunned and heartbroken for you. I'm grateful she was able to express her love for you and that you and your children were there when she passed. You were an amazing caregiver, doing everything through love, and you can take comfort that you made all the right decisions. Many prayers for you and your children as you grieve your dear Carole.
  • Colt99
    Colt99 Member Posts: 25
    Third Anniversary 10 Comments 5 Care Reactions

Ed, let this wall of posts be a tribute to you and how much your insight and advise is appreciated. 

Sharing this journey is difficult and be sure that this community can appreciate all the emotions you must be feeling.

• White Crane
    White Crane Member Posts: 851
    Seventh Anniversary 250 Care Reactions 500 Comments 100 Likes

Dear Ed, I hardly know what to say. The sudden loss of  your dear wife brought tears to my eyes.  I am so very sorry and I’m holding you and your family in prayer. As so many others have said, I am glad you had those final moments when she could express her love for you once again.  God bless you.

Brenda 

• Just Bill
    Just Bill Member Posts: 315
    100 Care Reactions 100 Comments Second Anniversary 25 Insightfuls Reactions
    My condolences Ed, I don't know about anyone else but Victoria2020's poem turned me into a blubbering mess.
  • jfkoc
    jfkoc Member Posts: 3,768
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions
    I waited until today to write, hopeing to find  conforting words to share but they have not come. Maybe there are  none so I send my love to you and your children and then tuck all of you in my pocket over my heart.
  • Lynne D
    Lynne D Member Posts: 276
    My condolences to you, our warrior friend.
  • Mgsr04
    Mgsr04 Member Posts: 7
    Ninth Anniversary First Comment

Ed, I'm so sorry for your loss. Saying a prayer for you and family, and sending my condolences.

Mark

• Rescue mom
    Rescue mom Member Posts: 988
    500 Comments Fourth Anniversary 5 Likes
    The suddenness is breathtaking. Hope you and your family find strength and comfort from each other and the support of your many friends, and from knowing you did so much for her while she was here.
  • David J
    David J Member Posts: 479
    100 Comments Third Anniversary
    Ed, I am shocked and saddened by your loss of Carole. It happened so fast, and so dramatically, but you were together at the end and shared your love one last time. Love tou you and your family, and to Carole. Her struggle is done.
  • Marie58
    Marie58 Member Posts: 382
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Comments
    Ed, I am in shock and immediately teared up at your post. You have been such a loving caregiver to Carole, always wanting what's best for her. What a blessing that she knew you and expressed her love for you! I'm so glad most of your family was there as well. You are all in my prayers. May God give you strength, peace and comfort in the days ahead. Again, I'm so sorry for your loss.
  • Nowhere
    Nowhere Member Posts: 272
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Likes 100 Care Reactions 100 Comments

Ed,

The things we worry might happen, and then something no one could have foreseen happens! This! I’m so very sorry for the passing of your wife and all you’ve both been through with this disease. May she Rest In Peace and you continue to feel her love and realize what an amazing husband you have been to her throughout her life, especially these past tough years. 

• JJAz
    JJAz Member Posts: 285
    Seventh Anniversary 100 Comments
    Ed, I am so sorry for your loss.  My heart just hurt when I saw the title of your post.  Wishing you comfort and peace.
  • storycrafter
    storycrafter Member Posts: 273
    Ninth Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes

Dear Ed,

Thank you for generously sharing your story with us. Such stunning events and you rose to it with such grace. That she shared words of love with you before passing is a joy to hear and I hope you can take much comfort in that. Wishing you peace and strength as you navigate this new journey of grief.

Helen

• billS
    billS Member Posts: 180
    Third Anniversary 100 Comments
    Ed I am so sorry. I can't imagine the shock of this happening so suddenly. I am glad you at least had the chance to hear her words of love.
  • Faith1520
    Faith1520 Member Posts: 3
    Fifth Anniversary First Comment
    Ed, I am so sorry for your loss. I have been following your posts because it sounded like your wife and my husband, whom I placed about a week after your wife was placed, were at the same place with this horrible disease. Thoughts and prayers.
  • Sligo177
    Sligo177 Member Posts: 165

Ed,

I am so sorry.  Words can't do justice.  Just so sorry.  God bless you, and your family.

• Sligo177
    Sligo177 Member Posts: 165

Dear Ed,

I am so sorry - words cannot do justice - just so sorry.  God bless you and your family.

• Love&Light
    Love&Light Member Posts: 57
    10 Comments First Anniversary

Mayor Ed,

My heart goes out to you and your family on the loss of your beloved wife. You sharing your experience has served as a model for me and many of us here in this forum. Thank you for leading by example. Your wife and your family are so fortunate to have you. Peace.

L&L

• Daughter of a Marine
    Daughter of a Marine Member Posts: 55
    Seventh Anniversary 25 Care Reactions 10 Comments 5 Likes
    Ed, you are someone I have come to know over the past 2 years I have been visiting and learning from this site.  Your love for and commitment to your DW has been a constant and my heart aches for your loss.  You created for her a world of love and tender kindness that I can only hope and pray that I can provide for my DH.  I pray you can focus on your healing at this time and know that you have been the difference.  May God bless and comfort you and your family.
  • Joe C.
    Joe C. Member Posts: 944
    Fifth Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes
    Ed, I am so sorry for your loss! I will keep you and your family in my thoughts & prayers. You have been such a great caregiver and advocate for your wife. May you find peace in the days to come.
  • Doityourselfer
    Doityourselfer Member Posts: 224
    Fifth Anniversary 100 Comments
    Ed,  I am so sorry for your loss.  Take good care of yourself.
  • caberr
    caberr Member Posts: 211
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Comments
    Ed, I am so sorry.  Keeping you and your family in my prayers.  You were such a good caregiver and I've learned a lot from you.  Please take care of yourself.
  • French
    French Member Posts: 445

Dear Ed

I feel so sorry for your loss.

Hugs from France

• Boxerlover53
    Boxerlover53 Member Posts: 11
    Third Anniversary 10 Comments

Ed, I am shocked and saddened by the sudden loss of your dear wife Carole. I'm grateful that she had moments of clarity and spoke of her deep love for you.  Hopefully that message will bring you some peace and comfort.  You cared for her so tenderly.  My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.

• John1965
    John1965 Member Posts: 104
    Eighth Anniversary 10 Comments
    You have my sympathy. Words fail.
  • Jeff86
    Jeff86 Member Posts: 684
    Fourth Anniversary 500 Comments 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes
    Ed, 
    I was shocked and dismayed to read your post, so I can’t imagine how shocked you must have been by the turn of events you so articulately and generously documented.   You have been a most extraordinary caregiver as you advocated for your DW and demonstrated amazing ingenuity and inquisitiveness as you searched for solutions to the many and various issues that arose on your caregiving journey.  

Your dear Carole’s suffering is ended, and now it is time, in time, for you to heal.  We grieve for you and with you as you navigate through the Stage 8 seas.  Hopefully you’ll allow us to continue to be fellow travelers with you, supporting you as you have supported so many.

Jeff

• Dio
    Dio Member Posts: 682
    500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes Second Anniversary
    Ed, please find comfort in knowing that your wife is now free of suffering! And what best way to leave this realm than having been surrounded by her loved ones?! I am of the camp who is torn between keeping our LO alive for as long as we can or is it not more merciful to let them go peacefully? I don't know. Anyhow, please start taking care of yourself now. Sending you love and peace.
  • DrinaJGB
    DrinaJGB Member Posts: 425
    100 Comments First Anniversary

I am so very sorry for the loss of your beloved DW.

There is no space wider than that of grief.

• ladyzetta
    ladyzetta Member Posts: 1,028
    Seventh Anniversary 1000 Comments 25 Likes 5 Insightfuls Reactions

((((Dear Mayor Ed))))

As you can see there are many people out here that care about you. Please when you get a few minutes, let us how you're doing.  We Care. Big Hugs, Zetta 

• Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

Thank you, dear friends for the kind words. It really does make a difference.  

Dio wrote:

I am of the camp who is torn between keeping our LO alive for as long as we can or is it not more merciful to let them go peacefully? 

I knew she wanted her life to end without taking any extraordinary efforts, if there was little chance of survival. But she was always concerned that I would make all efforts to keep her alive if the choice had to be made. When I was asked how I wanted to handle this, I immediately told them to let her go. It wasn't even a hard decision for me, like I thought it would be. I honored her wishes, not mine.

I always said I hoped she would go before me because I didn't want her to go through what I'm going through now. 

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more