Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Stage 5/6 straight to Stage 8

124»

Comments

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,723
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions

Dear Ed, I was too shocked the other day to even say much.

To be honest, I've almost been jealous.  For the finality of it, the letting go, the knowing that her suffering ended.  There's no question that you handled it just as you should have.

But my friend, my friend, my heart bleeds for you.  May your family pull together to deal with this huge loss, and bear you up.

Selfish of me, but I too hope you stay an active member on these boards.  Hard to know what we'd do without you.  

• Dio
    Dio Member Posts: 682
    500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes Second Anniversary

Dio wrote:

I am of the camp who is torn between keeping our LO alive for as long as we can or is it not more merciful to let them go peacefully? 

I knew she wanted her life to end without taking any extraordinary efforts, if there was little chance of survival. But she was always concerned that I would make all efforts to keep her alive if the choice had to be made. When I was asked how I wanted to handle this, I immediately told them to let her go. It wasn't even a hard decision for me, like I thought it would be. I honored her wishes, not mine.

I always said I hoped she would go before me because I didn't want her to go through what I'm going through now. 

You did right by her. 

Now, I keep hearing the theme song from the movie Gladiator: "Now We Are Free."
    And a huge part of me longs for that feeling.

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,723
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions
    Thinking of you and your extended family now and tomorrow Ed.
  • jfkoc
    jfkoc Member Posts: 3,768
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions
    I am too.....
  • DJnAZ
    DJnAZ Member Posts: 139
    100 Comments Second Anniversary

Ed...

My sincere condolences. Her pain is over and now your life must go on. Take care of yourself and be strong!

Joe

• Jo C.
    Jo C. Member Posts: 2,916
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Likes

Dear Friend Ed; our cable system was out all week, so have been unable to use a computer; however, I have been thinking of you while being unable to check in with you as well as with the others here on your Thread. 

You made the kindest, most loving, and most respectful decision for your beloved wife.  Your respect honored what had been her decision from back when she could let her wishes be known, and she has been spared much suffering; as difficult as these days are being, may you have peace in your heart, mind and spirit knowing this.

As M1, my heart also deeply aches for your loss and all that has happened.  And as with M1, I too am selfish and so hope that when your find the space and will, that you shall continue to come here and be with us.

Even with "Stage 8," you are still a Member of this caring extended electronic family of friends and you add SO much to all here.  We have been blessed to have you amongst us, giving so much.

May serenity soon come to you and your dear children; I am thinking of you as are the many others here; though we cannot be with you in person, we are with you at your shoulder in spirit.

One of your many Forum Friends,

J.

• ImMaggieMae
    ImMaggieMae Member Posts: 1,015
    250 Likes 500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Care Reactions
    What Jo said. You are still our Mayor Ed. You have so much valuable information and so much insight. I hope we see a lot of you around these forums.
  • Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions
    Thanks to all of you. I tried several times replying earlier, but for whatever reason I couldn't. It just never went to the reply window.
  • abc123
    abc123 Member Posts: 1,171
    Seventh Anniversary 1000 Comments 5 Care Reactions 5 Likes

Dear Ed,

I can not find the words to convey to you the love and the level of respect I have for you. I am incredibly sad to hear of Carole’s death and I am also thankful that she was spared the final stage. 

You and your precious family are in my prayers, my heart.

I hope & pray that Jennifer will find a way to deal with the physical pain. I think of her often. Please promise us that you will take good care of yourself. My deepest sympathies to you my friend.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more