Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Just need to talk to my friends (186)

Comments

• Iris L.
    Iris L. Member Posts: 4,308
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions
    Lorita wrote:

I think Todd has narcolepsy - every time he sits down he goes to sleep.  He's worried about her, trying to work some and take care of things at home - maybe he's just worn out.

Lorita, it's most likely that Todd is sleep deprived.  He needs to be cautious about driving--drowsy driving can be more dangerous than drunk driving.

Zetta, fires scare me more than earthquakes.  In fact, all weather scares me more than earthquakes. This means tornadoes, floods, hurricanes, and snowstorms.  I'm even thinking about the truck-sized asteroid heading for earth.  Who knows where that will land? 

Beth, I believe our temp reached 70 degrees today.  It was nice.  I hope you are warm and toasty where you are!

Jo C, I appreciate the saying, "youth is wasted on the young."  I feel like I just now, in my 70s, know enough about life to go out in the world and work.  When I was young, I knew my career, but I did not know about life or dealing with people away from the classroom.  I was naive and I missed a lot of adult experiences.  In my mind, I think I would like to start over again, but I just don't have the energy to get out of the house so much.  

Iris

• ronald71111
    ronald71111 Member Posts: 1,215
    Tenth Anniversary 1000 Comments 250 Likes 100 Care Reactions

Good morning from Lorita's front porch! One thing I love about the front porch is that the weather is always perfect. 

I just completed emptying the refrigerator preparing for delivery of the new one. Dont know why I put things in a ice chest, could have put them outside and had the same results.

They came and took measurements for countertops yesterday and I found out different contractors were needed for what has to be done. Oh well, just one step at a time.

Pulled a muscle to the inside of my wrist and now have a large bruise. Guess it's because of blood thinners since this had never happened before.

Hope everyone's day is a good one.

Ron

• harshedbuzz
    harshedbuzz Member Posts: 4,365
    Seventh Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Insightfuls Reactions 500 Likes
    Jo C-

I can weigh in on the small potatoes.

My skin is pretty dry. I have found using a hyaluronic acid serum under my moisturizer plumps things up. I use a cheapie from The Ordinary available at Ulta and Sephora. During the day I wear ROC Moisturizer with Retinol SPF 30 and at night I use the PM version or Olay in the jar over the serum.

For foundation, I like Urban Decay Hydroglow in the tube. It's marketed as a tinted moisturizer, but it covers as well as a medium weight foundation-- I have some sun damage and spots from procedures that are depigmented, and it does a decent job of making them less noticeable. IT Cosmetics makes a similar CC Cream product that's a bit heavier coverage. Both are available at Ulta. 

As for the composting, I have a friend in Philadelphia who composts. She stores the kitchen bin under her sink and empties it outside daily. It has a tight seal so there's no odor. A Tupperware canister or large mason jar could work, too. The outdoor pail also seals well; I have not found it offensive when I visit and we generally spend time in her yard discussing her gardening projects. Do you get any compost back if you participate? My friend is entitled to a certain amount yearly, but she pays to participate. 

HB

• loveskitties
    loveskitties Member Posts: 1,078
    1000 Comments Third Anniversary 100 Likes 25 Care Reactions

Yesterday was travel to Mother's to go to doc appointment.  My travels take me thru some nice country scenery and I could not help noticing the abundance of cattle in the fields.  They were all black, maybe angus, and lots of little one out too.  Made me think of your place Lorita.

The weather has been mild enough here that there is some grass growing in the fields.  Those which get lots of sun are even greening up.

Thanks Lorita for sharing about your place, as it made me better appreciate what I have on my travels.

• jfkoc
    jfkoc Member Posts: 3,776
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions

Jo...I use The Ordinary Hyuralic Syrum too and really like it.

• Iris L.

Ron, you're right, the weather is always perfect on the front porch!

I want to make a correction to my last post.  I don't want to start my life over.  No, I don't want to go back!  I want to enjoy my old age!  I should know enough now to have good boundaries and to enjoy what is enjoyable in life, of which there are many things.

I have dry skin too.  I just use regular Jergin's lotion or Nivea lotion.  Should I use a serum?

Beth, I met a woman on a cruise ship who cruised specifically to dance with the dance partners that are hired to dance with the ladies.  She had one suitcase just for her beautiful dance dresses.  There were several ladies on that ship who danced.  I was ready to do the same thing but Covid came along and shut down the cruise industry and even dancing.  I know the ships are cruising again, but I will have to wait a bit longer before I get back on a ship.

Iris

• Jo C.
    Jo C. Member Posts: 2,916
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Likes

As for the Tikka Masala question, there are many different recipes.  The one we get is Sukhi's brand; it is a creamy tomato curry sauce with white meat of chicken pieces; curry but not with any spices overwhelming in the one we get; not hot spicy, it's a mild marriage of spices.  It is delicious and as mentioned, of very high quality.   Here is a link to the product we get from CostCo.  It is the large 36 ounce package and costs $15.99.  The brand is "Sukhi's."  She also makes it in small packages, even individual frozen entrees which can be found at some grocery stores, but I would not buy those.  One can also buy products from her website but it is in smaller packages and is overall much more expensive.  We serve it over rice with a green veg on the side. Lots of white meat of chicken and lots of sauce; they do not skimp.  We do not bother with buying Naan bread.  Here is a picture of the product: 

https://store.sukhis.com/products/chicken-tikka-masala

Thank you for the hints re face moisturizer, etc.  I have sensitive skin so shall have to try hyaluronic acid to see if it helps.   I am blessed without many wrinkles needing to be helped, just being dry, I appreciate the advice.

Lorita, as wise jfkoc says, it is probably best to leave health care planning and management with Sarah and Todd; they are well into their middle age.   I am going out on a limb here; something is not clicking right.   If she was on Hospice in the hospital, she would still be on Hospice going home.   I have never known a Hospice entity in all my years of profession not to accept Medicaid as a payor; ever.  Also, I have never, ever have heard of a Hospice asking for six months of medical records; that is just not done.  Wonder what triggered such a stance and if they really meant it. 

All Hospices have criteria for admission to service; they are pretty much all the same criteria.  Sarah's ability to be on Hospice will be based on her PRESENT condition and her physician's attesting to that condition and that he/she feels she has six months or less to live. Because terminal illnesses can be very different in length of time, the Hospice service continues on after that six month period for as long as the patient continues to fit criteria for necessity of Hospice service.  We have had Members here whose LOs have been on Hospice for up to two years.

Something seems to be off with this.  It may also be a negative to give information to different Hospices, etc. yourself.  You have no way to know the actual facts as they medically truly are and it could possibly complicate matters if the Hospice feels there may be something difficult re the patient applicant dynamics.  As said, neither Sarah nor Todd are children; they will be able to get this managed.  Also, when Home Health is providing services, if they feel the patient would be best served as a Hospice patient, they will make that referral unless the patient does not wish to have Hospice. 

I cannot understand why Sarah would be sent home with Home Health and not on Hospice if she actually was accepted to Hospice service in the acute hospital and if she has not refused them when going home; if she accepts Hospice services, that would make no sense.  Sarah may have improved in condition in that she is able to get out to a tag center and to doctor's appointments; perhaps the TPN if she did get that has made a difference. 

As for not going to visit back awhile, that was a necessity and appropriate for both of you considering the extremely high COVID risk; that could have been deadly.  You are there to talk with her with love and support when she is accepting calls; you have been wonderful about that. 

When talking about people who are "helpers" aboard cruises; a neighbor's mother gave bridge lessons aboard cruise ships and she not only sailed free, she also got paid.  So; my neighbor who is a school teacher decided to do the same, except she teaches craft classes which gets free cruising and a small salary.  Some people; both men and women, are hired and sign on as "dancers" for the cruise clients and enhancers on cruises with the same perks.   I just wonder what their cabins are like.

Whoops, there goes that phone again, see you soon.

J.

• Jo C.

Well; in re to the question re compost; no, the citizens do not have access to the "compost."  The program is to reduce greenhouse gas emissions.   We get no special barrel, just the same "green" trash can that collects grass and plant clippings.   No plastics allowed and no wax paper, no fat, oil, grease, hard shells, no enhanced paper towels or napkins, no tea bags and more.

The accepted items are to be placed in one green general style trash barrel: all the green waste from yard care and trimmings; wooden items that are not painted; bread, rice, pasta; cheese and dairy; coffee grounds; all fruits and vegetables; meat bones and pet food; food stained paper; paper egg cartons; pizza boxs; paper plates; to-go boxes that are not plastic; wood and fiber based utensils.

We shall see how this goes over time.

Iris; that asteroid bypassed earth yesterday, it was not a danger to earth which is a very good thing indeed.  I am more deeply concerned with all that one hears on the news; I think it will be a very difficult summer but so hope I am wrong on that front.

Ron; I am delighted to hear your new refrigerator is on its way and probably by now is in place, you will have to let us know how you like it.  And new countertops being made . . . wow!   It will be beautiful; I am sure you will enjoy the newness and niceness of it.  What a happy thing to have happen.  Hope they get there for you soon.  This will probably make you start baking again, you can bring something good to the front porch!

Buzz, it makes me smile to think of skin care products being under the label of "rbUan Decay."  If this were a Stephen King story, he would make something very macabre happen out of that; it makes me chuckle thinking about it.  I will look into that; thank you all for your input advice. 

Beth, the one trip we have not done that I think would be really pleasant would be as you mentioned; one of the higher end European river cruises in a very nice stateroom - worth saving up for the cost.  However; DH does not find that anything he ever wanted to do, so we will not be doing that which is okay. What we found best for us during our travels was not to do it on a tour. We would fly into a country; rent a car and drive ourselves; so much more was experienced that way, especially meeting people of the country.  Do need good maps.  We often simply had no plan for a day and would wander about highways and byways and often found wonderful things we otherwise would have missed.  So simple pre-COVID and so much more comfortable flying then too.  Planes ain't what they used to be.  I used to love flying; the takeoff  with the feeling of being pushed back into my seat; looking at clouds and even storms and lightning below us; even loved hearing the landing gear coming down and then touching down with that little thump sort of feeling. What a sight of wonder when coming off the ocean and seeing land of the "foreign country" for the first time - always exciting.  Hope your summer cruise will be a really great one for you, bet it will be.

Marie, I too think of Lorita when I see cattle.  Your drive sounds as though it went through some lovely countryside.  Always an uplift to see that for us being that we are city folk.  I too wonder how many calves there are now in Lorita's guardian care; there have been a lot of births.  Springtime will make it all easier for the work, but then on the heels of that comes gosh awful summer which finds us all wishing for winter again.  What a cycle but at least we do get spring and autumn.   Since I have become "mature," I no longer do heat well at all; summer is not a good time for me and I usually worry about power outages with no air conditioning, no fans and no refrigerator. 

Boy; our gas bill went waaaaay up - we keep our furnace low, the bill was about three to four times higher - it was over $300 for the month.  Turns out that the different gas companies have all done that and people are gobsmacked when they open their bills.  Gas company execs excuses are pipeline issue in Texas, not reserving enough, not as much coming from Canada; etc.  Turns out that the state has been asked to do research as to the truth of the matter.  People cannot continue to absorb the ever increasing monstrous costs of absolutely everything.  Greedy, greedy at the bottom of much of it.  And so it goes.

Speaking of going, sorry to be so lengthy.  Time to grab a bit of lunch, be well and take good care.

J.

• jfkoc
    Correction... Tika Marsala
  • Iris L.

Re: the higher home gas prices--This same thing happened several years ago with water.  Residents were urged to conserve water, which we did to the point that the city water revenue was markedly reduced.  So the city raised the price for water.  Residents wound up paying the SAME amount for LESS water.  It's a big hustle perpetrated on residents, IMO.

On another note, CA is out of drought, now we are just "extremely dry."  And we have a new sewage spills.

I'm having Tikka Masala for dinner, but mine is from Healthy Choice.

Iris

• BethL
    BethL Member Posts: 840
    Ninth Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Likes 25 Care Reactions

Regarding the Tikka Marsala, I don't know if I like curry or not. We have a Costco membership now. We joined in November when a new Costco was built a few miles away. Next time we go there we will purchase some and give it a try.

I'm planning to make granola and bone broth today. It's very snowy so I doubt the kids will come over tonight for dinner. 

I found some good exercise videos online and have been trying them out. I also need to be getting on my exercise bike more for aerobic conditioning. 

Have a good day, everyone!

Beth

• Mint
    Mint Member Posts: 2,680
    Eighth Anniversary 2500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

Good morning

Tikka masala has never been on my menu.  I’m not a big curry fan.

Ron hope your new kitchen turns out nice.  Maybe someday I can get mine updated, we’ll see.  It’s ok either way.  Use to be a big priority, then I realized if many people had my house with all its faults they would be very thankful for it.  I am thankful for it, still hope with time to get things done.  One way of being thankful to me is to try and not let it fall apart so it may be there to help someone else.

A little bit of sun peeking through clouds today.

Made buns yesterday, today made just a few corn and flour tortillas.  Have learned how to cut recipe way back.  Going to make the rest of the enchiladas that I fixed a few weeks ago and hope to fix steak tomorrow.  Should have steak left and may fix some fajitas with my flour tortillas.  Cooked up some noodles and Air fried some chicken.  Mixed that with mushrooms, black olives, butter, olive oil, parsley and some seasonings.  Had not made in  long time.  Very good. That will be supper and should make me several fast meals.

No mask required at work either day I worked this week.   First time since I’ve been there.  Our sewer levels have dropped 4 weeks straight now. Have never seen it be more than one week before.  All this gives me hope we will eventually reach endemic state.  Not there yet though.  

If whatever statistic the hospital use goes back up enough they will be required again. Was interesting to observe human behavior.  Would say only about a 1/3 of workers chose to wear masks.  Probably  at least 50% of patients and visitors did, that surprised me.  Will be interesting to see if continues, very little to no mask wearing in our community so don’t think what hospital doing will make things change  anything in community.  Yes I wore mine.  Still facing many, many challenges with my mom and have no desire to add another one.  

A man I know with vascular dementia and bed bound, wife fed him, just died a few days ago, both him and his wife contacted Covid.  A relative works at a facility where they care for disabled and they just had an outbreak there.  Since the couple never left home guessing that is how it got carried into them.  The two men I know who died in past month both were who they describe as those dying from Covid now here in US.  Both were at home.  One was unvaccinated and I do not know about the other one.  Overall though the congregate settings in our community have fared very well so far this winter.  

So nice to see the sunshine.

I’ve been exercising with videos to Beth.  Today I started stair climbing.  Will very slowly work on that.

Take care

• dayn2nite2
    dayn2nite2 Member Posts: 1,132
    Eighth Anniversary 1000 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Likes
    jfkoc wrote:

Jo...I use The Ordinary Hyuralic Syrum too and really like it.

I use this too—-it’s my base layer for anything else.  Inexpensive too.  My foundation is Jones Road What The Foundation is I’m really dry, if not Charlotte Tilbury Beautiful Skin foundation.
    Sometimes I skip the foundation and just use Jones Road Miracle Balm (they come in different colors.
  • Lorita
    Lorita Member Posts: 4,322
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

Morning,

It's cloudy and windy here today.  Supposed to be warm but feels cold to me. Tonight the bottom drops out so will be cold this next week.

Day, I watched two hours of Denim & Co last night.  Jane was the host with Gary. Almost turned it off but it was pretty good - she didn't do any dancing.

Had a busy day yesterday.  Found the little calf Mike had been doctoring laying down flat - couldn't get up. Her back was lower than her feet and when that happens they can't get up.  Sat her up, and called Mike and told him.  He said he would come and check on her after the clinic closed.  He's so busy he can't get away during the day.  I did get a tow rope and put it around her feet and pulled her down to flat, dry ground and sat her up again.  Went back two or three hours later and she was down again.  Sat her up and she sat there a little while, then got up - very wobbly and weak but went over to the hayring and started to nibble.  Just before dark I went up to locate her and she was away from the others with Daisy, Jr. trying to graze.  Mike and Sidney got here and we got her up in a cage on his truck.  He says he thinks her mother has quit giving milk.  He was taking her back to the barn at the clinic to feed and take care of her.  She won't be outside in the cold this week - she would not have made it.

So that was my Friday.  Took me a while to read and catch up and now I've forgotten what I've read.  I guess I will leave it up to Sarah and Todd - not much I can do here except stir the waters and that's not needed.  She did make her doctor's appointment yesterday but was too worn out to talk about it - will see what he said today.

Got a load of laundry together to do and when I opened the washer there was a dry load of sheets in it.  Guess I put them in and forgot to turn on the washer.  So I'll do two loads today.

Sandy, enjoyed our visit last night - the water tank was running over so just got there in time to avoid a flood.  The horses are beautiful.  My alarm is going off again to turn off the water so I'll stop for now.  

Be back later.  Enjoy the day

• Jo C.

Lorita, you saved that little one; she was certainly fortunate to have you as her guardian angel, and Mike is also beyond fortunate to have you in all you do for the herd.  Big hug to you for all you do; you have a very big caring heart.

As for the Chicken Tika Masala (not marsala - marsala is a wine and good in sauce with chicken or veal marsala), this dish from Sukhi's is not at all the usual curry flavor. I have not liked much curry; but there are a myriad of curries that are different. This one does not taste like curry at all.

It is a nice day today, about 72 degrees.  Gets chilly early though and fairly cold at night.  I cannot imagine the long, freezing deep snow winters some have had to deal with; not easy at all.  Despite the nice temp, I am having a blah sort of day feeling.  Don't know why; just is.  Woke up last night about 2:00 a.m., hearing thudding and thumping somewhere in the house.  When hearing it again, woke up husband who went downstairs with flashlight checking; nothing found.  Later I heard it again twice, but ignored it.  Just one of those strange things; nothing heard today.

Zetta; how is the snow doing - so hope it is nicer than it has been.  February just a few days away; springtime before we know it.

And Ron; how is the new frig?  Bet it looks good in the kitchen.  What color is it?  Wonder if Lou notices it much.

Thanks for all the input, I will try the hyaluronic acid.  Now to decide whether to use the Neutrogena or CeraV serum - any input on what you have found? 

See you all later,

J>

• Lorita

Hi,

Marie and Jo, Carol says the same thing about thinking of me when she sees cows.  There's a lot of them on their way to Tulsa.  Is that good for someone to be reminded of you when they see cows?  Probably so.

Judith, rethink what about selling to Mike?  Selling or not selling?  I will sell to him but not right now - probably soon.  I'm so pleased with what he's doing with the land east of us - not so much to do here except for the trees along the road north of us and the berry vines.  I know he'll take care of it - no problem there.  I won't move from here, unless I have to, but will have a lifetime estate  We've talked about that already.

He owns the section east of us and most of the one north and is leasing the rest of it with the exception of a 20 acre meadow.  The son of a good friend owns the land south and there's a family west of us who probably wouldn't sell or let someone put a grow house on their land.  Mike and I have talked about the fact that he or I don't want any of them around.  

Zetta, I found the Bear Creek chili soup on Amazon.  Started to order it and noticed it was almost $10. a package - almost three times what I pay for potato soup.  Next time I'm in town I'll check and see if the store has it.  Does it have beans in it and does it taste like chili?  I do like chili over rice served with Doritos.  I cooked rice the other day so need to cook celery, onions and carrots to eat with it - with soy sauce.  I started that years ago when we would cook very thinly sliced beef and make a sauce to go over it and the rice and vegetables.

Haven't heard how the baby is doing.  Not sure he'll be able to bottle fed him - maybe out of a bucket.  This morning they fed and after noon I happened to be outside and saw a cow coming from the garden toward the barn - with a purpose.  She'd stop and bawl, then listen.  I walked around to the back of the barn and saw her baby by an antique manure spreader we have.  I saw them going around there when they fed this morning so guess she left her baby there when she went back to the hay.  She did the same thing earlier this week.  

I had a call this evening from a cousin to tell me another cousin had passed away.  She was 93 years old and lost her husband last year after over 70 years of marriage.  She had been admitted to the hospital, then transferred to rehab where she contracted covid and had aspiration pneumonia.  She will be cremated and hers and her husband's ashes will be spread where their horses are buried.  I'll miss her - she was a joy to talk with.  JW, my cousin, husband of the one who called me, has severe  Parkinsons and has a stoma through which he receives his medication.  She said he has to have surgery to have a new one - not sure when but he has a doctor's appt. Monday. Another cousin has sold her home and moved to a retirement home in Tulsa.  So, family is getting smaller and smaller.  Really only have two cousins, the wife of one and another by marriage.  JW can no longer drive or walk and his wife told me she had to ask her daughter to help her hang up her clothes - can't reach that high.  She can barely get around.  All of us are around 80.  Where in the world has all of the years gone?

Took some crumb cakes over to Darwin this afternoon.  He said he's getting senile.  Came out on the porch so not to bother his wife.  We talked for a bit (took off my mask because we were outside and the wind was blowing).  When I do that I always worry for a while.  I ordered Honeybells for me and a bigger box for them.  Today he told me when his arrived there was ice in the box - the honeybells were frozen. One of mine was frozen.  I guess they froze in the delivery truck. He was able to eat a few of them and juiced the resst.   Anyway, came back home and took four of my six back over to them.  He said mine were twice as big as his - and his were yellow instead of orange.  Doubt I'll order them again because the last time theirs were small, too.

Something awakened me during the night and I was having a hard time catching my breath - sort of like what happened a couple of years ago.  Not too bad but it took a minute to recover.  There was a piece of peppermint candy in my mouth.  I'm in the habit of putting one in my mouth when I go to bed and guess I dropped off to sleep before it was dissolved.  Won't do that again.

I drove up to the house on the section east of us that Mike bought and it's so sad.  The windows are broken, his trees along the road are pushed up against the house and the barn is falling in.  Makes me feel bad to see that.  I can recall about a dozen families who have lived there - and those are the ones after I was born.  The land is looking so different - no trees along the road and the embankment is almost levelled to put in a new fence.  This land is across the road from Darwin - he's pleased with the way it looks and I am, too, just so different.  

Okay, I've talked your ears off so I'll stop for now.  Watching Dr. Pol.  Two big football games tomorrow.  We used to go to Chiefs' games but at that time they weren't as good as they are now.  When we started going the price for our seats, just about 12 rows above the field, were $9.  I wonder how much they are now - if you can even get one.

Going to get cold tonight and three or four days this next week, then warm up again.  Daffodils are up about 6" but I'm afraid our Southern Magnolia is dead.  I think I see a few more leaves on the holly so maybe it'll recover.  I do think the Glossy Abelia is gone, too.  I'll cut it way back and maybe it'll come back.  Lots of trimming to do in a month or so - for Bryon.  Wish I could do it but my shoulders won't let me.  Darn this maturity, anyway!

See you all tomorrow.  Hope everyone's okay.

• ronald71111

Lorita, if that little one was mine I would have to rename her Lorita, because without you she would not be here. You are truly a blessing to the ciws!

Had a bad day yesterday, didnt sleep much and it had its effect on my mood. My nerves were shot and Lou kept looking for the last one. At least last night was better, I slept until almost 4.

Raining right now, but hopefully it want be to bad when I have to get Lou out to the car for church. She looks forward to going every week and I hope this Sunday she keeps that throat noise to a minimum. 

I have mixed emotions about my new refrigerator! I'm glad we have a new one, but disappointed it's not a side by side. I've never had one with the freezer on the bottom, but with the space allotted due to how the cabinets are, I was limited to what was offered. I have more refrigerator space but limited on freezer. I might buy one of the small freezers to go in a corner close to the refrigerator. 

I have several VA appointments coming up. Wednesday I go to see how my blood is clotting since being on the blood thinner medicine and the next week is dental consult for lower implants and primary care visit. Since my last VA visit when I was hospitalized my vitals have been up and down. They took me off the Diltiazem and I have to take blood pressure reading before taking the Atenolol. A couple if times the reading has been to low for the Atenolol. I've had readings as low as 93/80 and as high as 156/79. Also heart rate has been over 100 frequently. I will probably need a cardiology consult to get every thing back right.

Ron

• Lorita

Morning,

Thank you, Ron, I just did what anyone would have done.  I still have a strong attachment to the girls and always will as long as they're here.  We've raised each of them from the time they were born and were at most of the births.  They're still "my" girls.  I think Mike understands that but I do hate to bother him and don't unless it's necessary but I won't let one of them suffer if I can help it.  I probably won't see the little calf again - he'll keep her with his herd by the clinic.  I think what he said is true about her mother not giving milk to feed her because I haven't heard any bawling since she's been gone.

It's cold here this morning, upper 20s.  Went out and filled the water tank in the garden - it was empty and before there was enough water in it to keep it straight, a cow and a couple of calves tried to drink so moved it.  I had to go out in the garden twice to straighten it.  I have to figure out something better.

Ron, we're under a winter weather warning (I think) for light freezing rain - hope it doesn't develop.  Are you all just supposed to get rain?   Hope Church goes well this morning.

I don't feel on top of the world this morning.  Went to bed about 11 last night and Sarah couldn't sleep so she called and we talked at least a couple of hours, maybe more.  She just needed to talk - so we did.  She calls me mom and Charles and I did help raise her along with my mother and daddy.  By the time we finished talking she was sounding better.  I can't imagine how it must feel to be told you're terminal and will never recover- it's heartbreatking.

Still wish I'd had my mask on yesterday.  I had it down under my chin but since we were outside didn't think I would need it.  I was only there about ten minutes, if that long and we were outside, about four feet apart so maybe it'll be okay. I know they've had their shots.  He was sort of trying to sneeze or something - like allergies - but the wind was at my back.  Here I go - counting days again.  Will we ever get over doing that?  I think missing sleep is bothering me.  Odd, I guess, but I never felt sleep deprived when I was caregiving.  In fact, I'd get up at least an hour before Charles did and that was my "me" time, when I'd post.  We always took an afternoon nap - only takes a couple of times to get in the habit.

Didn't want to watch the morning news shows (national) so I'm watching the Men's Finals in the Austrslian Open Tennis Tournament.  Djokovic is playing a younger man - no way can I pronounce or spell his name.  I've never really liked Djokovic.  They said something about him not being #1 - not sure what.  Charles and I never missed tennis when it was on TV but the players have changed and I'm just not interested anymore - except occasionally.

It's dark with some north wind here.  Sheena and Stormy stayed outside last night so they're in now, fast asleep.  Fed the four cats and I guess the're asleep, too.  I'd like to take a nap later this morning but there's a couple of football games on I'd like to watch.  Trash day tomorrow and we're supposed to have a six degree WC in the morning so may miss it for the second week in a row.  

I"ll stop rambling and finish my tea and toast - already finished my MOM (Malt-o-Meal), Jo.    Hope all of you are well this morning.  

I still feel so sad about losing "another" Patsy but Geri, my cousin, said she was ready to go - said she was tired.  She was caregiver to her husband, my cousin, for quite a long time so guess she was.

See you later.   Started to say "alligator".  Did you all know that Oklahoma has alligators in the swamps in far SE Okla?  I didn't until this week.

• Lorita
    Sorry, don't want to dominate our thread this morning but, Ron, forgot to mention something to you.  Sorry you're having a tough time adjusting to your new refrigerator.  I had the same problem when our big freezer stopped working.  We had an extra refrigerator so had to use the freezer compartments on the two refrigerators.  Now, I'm down to one refrigerator and one freezer section.  I think I've adapted pretty well.  I try to keep a couple of bottles of milk in it along with all the other things and it's working pretty well.  I had thoughts of getting a small freezer, too, but think I've decided to not do that.  I've never had a side by side refrigerator.  They look so nice but the bump out from the kitchen to the pantry and utility room is too small for a side by side.  You'll adapt eventually - just give it a little bit of time.
  • Mint

Good morning

Lorita so sorry about your cousin.  I miss talking to my uncle too.  It’s been 11/2 years already but sometimes I think about how I wish I could call him.  Only have contact with about five of my cousins.  All but one lives in other states.  

Hope the little calf gets strength and starts doing better.

Fixed some fried potatoes with my lunch.  Hadn’t made those in a long time.  Pretty tasty, need to make them more often.

Beth how much snow did you end up getting?  We have had some rain today, no sun, has melted some of the snow.  

Lorita you’re passing that cold weather off to us Tuesday and Wednesday.  Going to try and do my grocery shopping tomorrow so can stay in on Wednesday if nothing happens.

Ron I have an upright and small chest freezer.  Put my meat in the chest one and everything else in upright one.

Lorita you were outside with one other person, for me I’m ok with that situation.  Keep my distance and don’t wear a mask.  

• Lorita

Thanks, Sara, just need someone to confirm what I think - helps a lot when you're alone.  I will check on Darwin in a day or two to see if he's okay.  He wouldn't risk anything though because of Donna.  He doesn't go anywhere except to town occasionally and doesn't see anyone except Toad and Mike sometimes.

It's a good idea to get your grocery shopping done before it gets cold and it'll probably be colder up there than here.  It was 28 this morning when I checked but it is cold.

I guess we never get over missing those who are gone that we talk with often.  I still miss talking with my sister even though I didn't in the last year or so.  Judith saw her after I did.  I miss talking with both Patsys - both of them were fun to talk with.  That's why I talked with Sarah until she felt better last night - it does help to talk things out.

Just came back inside again.  I've filled the water tank in the garden twice now and will have to do so several times this afternoon.  I brought the hose in this time and covered the hydrant.  Then went out to check on the hydrant at the lot.  Tried to close it but the handle was frozen so came back in and heated some water in the electric pot and poured some over it - still wouldn't budge.  So, loosened the quick connect and I was able to close the handle.  Guess the water pressure was keeping it closed.  Brought in the quick connect things and covered that hydrant.  I don't feel anything falling but it looks hazy toward the horizon.  I remember so many times when it was freezing and we'd have to hold up the ice-laden limbs to even get out to run water for the girls.  

Toad and Mike fed time before last at night because we were supposed to have some freezing weather.  He said they did that because they were afraid the netwrap would freeze on the bales of hay.  Okay, another memory - I remember once or twice during the winter when we had ice Charles and I had to beat the ice off the bales of hay to get the netwrap off.  It does get hairy out here but wouldn't trade it for the world.  Oklahoma has such dramatic temperature changes.  It can get to 115 in the summer and way below zero in the winter - not including heat indices and wind chill.

Battery is going.

• ronald71111

Did not make it to church this morning! Lou was a handful and actually got mean!! It started when I woke her up, it's not unusual for her to resist in getting up, but I usually manage with no problem. She actually started getting mean when I was taking her gown and panties off. She grabbed the pad I had in her painties and threw it at me. Next when I started to bath her that was the end of it and I just put her clothes on and forgot about church. Been raining for two days solid and dont know if that had anything to do with it. Suppose to rain all week so I hope the rain hasn't caused the problem.

Lorita, you saying Sarah called you mom made me think about when I get Lou ready for bed. I always take the dog to her for her to tell him goodnight. When I leave with him to put him on his bed she always says I love you to him, then tells me you too mommy. 

Ron

• Lorita
    Ron, the dark, rainy days could be, at least, part of the change in Lou's behavior.  I remember my sister didn't like for it to rain - said it seemed like it smothered her.  Everyone's different.  I hope Lou has settled down by now.

Hope your appointments come out all right this week.  Maybe it'll stop raining by then.  You're getting rain which we need and we're getting cold weather with pretty good chances of freezing rain or drizzle.  Hate that kind of weather.

I'm watching the KC/Cinn. football game in KC.  It's 22 there - or was when the game started.  That's a couple of degrees colder than it is here.  I know when I was outside earlier it was really cold but I think the wind has laid, at least some.

Hope everyone has a good evening.  Tomorrow's Monday.

• BethL
    BethL Member Posts: 840
    Ninth Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Likes 25 Care Reactions

Cold here, 5 degrees this a.m. and our high will be 10. No precipitation for the coming week. Sunday the 22nd we had an inch of snow overnight, and Saturday the 28th we had about 3 inches. 

Lorita, I'm sorry about your cousin. I have 11 first cousins. One has passed away. We occasionally have reunions. I'm glad I skipped the last reunion, last summer, as several people ended up getting Covid. (The cousin who died did not die of Covid. He died years ago, in his 50s, of a heart attack.)

I was happy to see KC win. It was a hard ending for the Bengals - in case you weren't watching here is what happened. Score was tied 20-20 with under 20 seconds left. Mahomes ran with the ball out of bounds. He was tackled late - in other words he was already out of bounds. That gave the Bengals a penalty for a late hit. The penalty moved KC close enough to hit a (game-winning) field goal. 

Today I'll be doing my exercise program - found several good routines on YouTube, and putting a roast with carrots and potatoes in the crockpot for dinner. My grandma always used to add parsnips to her roasts. She grew them herself. She also grew her own horseradish. She was an amazing gardener, both flowers and food. She grew vegetables and cherries and raspberries. I may have gotten my love of gardening from her.

• loveskitties
    loveskitties Member Posts: 1,078
    1000 Comments Third Anniversary 100 Likes 25 Care Reactions

The weather this winter is crazy...one day below freezing and then like spring in the 50's. 

Usually by this time we have had at least one good snowfall, but not this year.  We used to have a really big snow around the end of January...could almost count on it.

Have to wonder what the ramifications will be as we proceed into the year.

Ron, hope Lou is doing better, for her sake as well as yours.  I know it is your intention to do all you can for her, but you might need to consider some time off from the caregiving to get your own health in condition to do that.  Hard I know.

Lorita, you are such a good guardian for all in your care as well.  Hope that you can get to the doctor's soon to see if there is something he can do for your aches and pains.  None of us like to go, but sometimes we must if we want to keep doing our activities.

Have any of you tried the on-line grocery ordering and then just drive to do pick-up?  I have been doing it about a month now and really like it.  Not only do I avoid all the un-masked folks in the store, but as I put together my order I can see the total and make choices in order to keep the bill down...also no impulse buying...lol.  At my store, if they have to make a substitution they give you the item at the lower price...which makes it nice.

Hope for all that today is a better day than yesterday, and that tomorrow is even better.

Hugs

• jfkoc
    Lorita...please dismiss what I said. My mind was muddled but it is not when I ask you to be certain that you have a DPOA in place. My attorney called this morning about possible changes in mine.
  • ladyzetta
    ladyzetta Member Posts: 1,028
    Seventh Anniversary 1000 Comments 25 Likes 5 Insightfuls Reactions

Hello All, You Rockers.

I woke up this morning and it was -8 and that's very cold. I drove my nephew to work this morning it was way too cold for him to be riding his bike to work. Hes a biker and loves to ride but he is finding the weather here is not like Sacramento, where he rode his bike all over.   

Lorita.  You have been given some good advice about leaving the planning up to Sharah and Todd. I know how hard that will be for you, but you have enough things to care for especially yourself. Like Marie said you need to go to the doctor and see if there is something they can do about your aches and pains. You saved that baby's life, so you need to be in good health to continue being an angle to the little ones. 

Yes, the chili soup taste, like Chile, and it does have beans in it. Paying $10.00 is way too much the Chile soup I got cost just as much as the other Bear Creek soups do. Iam going to fix the potato soup tomorrow. I might add some extra potatoes like you do. 

I also put a mint in my mouth at night. When I get up during the night to go to the bathroom, I put one in because my mouth is so dry. I have a bowl of mints right next to my bed. 

Ron.  I hope Lou has settled down and your able to get some rest. Hopefully by now you are used to your new fridge. I also prefer the freezer not to be on the bottom.

Marie.  I also think of Lorita when I see cows. I appreciate them more knowing they have personalities and feelings. If I got close to anyone of them, I probably would not eat beef anymore. I had a pet rabbit and a pet lamb once so I will not eat rabbit or lamb. 

Jo.  The snow we have had is nothing like what we are used to having. I still have snow on the ground now it's because it's so cold outside its not melting. It was -8 this morning and its 29 right now with a high of 30. I will be glad when it warms up. 

Take care all, Hugs Zetta 

• Mint

Good evening

I understand Lorita how you feel about liking to get things confirmed.  That is a problem when we live alone.  Especially since my dad died and mom is different now.

Guess you guys out west are blowing all the cold air this way.  Suppose to be 12 in morning, and quite cold next few days.  Don’t see any single digits though.  They are giving sunny days though.  I’ll take it, we’ve had very little sun for quite a while.  Cold is never as bad if sun shines.  It was cloudy today and snow flurries a lot of day but very little accumulation.

Got all of our grocery shopping done today.  Kind of starting to like getting it done on Monday. Get my house cleaning done, then go to store.  That way Wednesday between my two work days I can stay home and get things done.

Got a new salsa today, brand is Frog Ranch.  It’s a small company here in Ohio.  Know you can buy it on Amazon.  Hadn’t bought any salsa in a long time as don’t like most of them. Looked around at them today and it has very clean ingredients and also pretty low sodium if that is a concern for you.  Have been thinking about trying to make my own salsa.   A little expensive, but now that I know I like it I’m ok with the price.  Hate when I pay a bit for something and don’t like it.

Marie I ordered my groceries online and picked them up at beginning of pandemic.  Was very appreciative of that service.  Went back to doing my own shopping though when I got a good mask as I like looking around and making my own substitutions if they are out of something. Have always enjoyed grocery shopping.  It has remained very popular here though.always see their shoppers with those big carts when I’m at store.  I only allow myself so much money per week.  If I have a little extra, like to look around and try something new.  If I can don’t have extra just get what’s in my list and don’t look at anything else.  Also I look up everything on my list online.  All stores are close to me.  Get each item where cheapest and this allows me to be able to purchase quite a bit more.  See it is a challenge and enjoy the challenge lol.

Good night

• Lorita

Hi,

Beth, I'm glad KC won, too.  It was nip and tuck for sure.  Mahomes did a good job even with his sprained ankle.  Some of Carol's relatives went to college with him and they said he's good at everything he does.  There was one of the Bengals sitting on the bench crying after the game.  I assume it was the guy who committed the foul that let the Chiefs win.  He looked devastated.

It's been really cold here today with bouts of sleet.  The WC today was in single digits and temps in low 20s or teens.  We're supposed to get more sleet in the morning.  I've cut ice twice on the water tank at the lot.  Decided I wouldn't do it tomorrow because it did hurt my ribs - but, didn't notice it until afterwards.  I've filled the tank in the garden three or four times.  Have to bring in the metal hose so it won't freeze. I looked out a while ago and saw a cow and her baby going to the barn.

Battery is low so I'll finish this after I charge it.

• Lorita

Well, I'm back but it took a while.   I've spent the morning trying to get water to the girls.  Haven't bothered the tank at the barn but I've filled the one in the garden a couple of times.  It was completely empty this morning and they were standing in line to get a drink so it took a long time.  I can't seem to get the hose that's hooked up to the hydrant to stop leaking.  

We've had three or four heavy bouts of sleet and thunder.  The weather says it's about over for today but we'll get more tomorrow evening.  Ron, I'm wondering if Shreveport is getting some sleet.  It seemed to be moving NE and was way down in Texas so may have gotten you.  Dallas really had some bad weather this morning.  Seems the weather we'll get later tomorrow will be freezing rain - hate that.  I think I remember saying I liked winter better than summer - not so sure now.

Talked with Darwin yesterday and he said in 2021, the year we had such cold weather, the ice he had to cut was up to 17" thick - and he had five ponds to cut ice.  I think he was trying to see if he could break the ice with his tractor and it fell through.  I think he called the neighbor south of me to get him out.  No wonder the  poor guy had to quit - cutting ice is very hard.  What I cut in the tanks was maybe 8" thick and that was too much.

Nothing else going on here this morning - just fed Sheena and Stormy and gave them their medicine.  I think I need to mix up some more Amox for Kitt - heard hm  sneeze this morning.  He's laying on the bed, covered up and I have the "blanket" (if you can call it that) turned on for her.  That blanket is one of the most cantankerous things I've ever dealt with.  It slides around and the whole thing ends up around my feet by morning.  This summer I'm going to find  a real electric blanket, I hope, if they still make them.  I could kick myself for throwing away the one we had - but I hadn't used it for at least eight years so didn't think I'd need it.  Silly me.

I fed the birds while I was out and they were ready. There's a lot of little gray birds with a white streak on their head - no idea what they are.  Also some cardinals.  I saw at least one squirrel this morning.  I think there were more running ahead of him but didn't see them.  I do see freshly broken open black walnuts in the yard.  Some of the girls are in the barn but most are around the hay.  Sort of worrying about the little girls who are still in the west pasture.  They can't get to the water tanks so hope they can break the ice on the ponds.  I'm wondering what Toad and Mike are doing about cutting ice.  I'm sure if needed they cut the ice in the pastures when they feed but what about the day they don't feed?

Hope all of you are well and if you're in the path of the storm, be careful.  Looks like it's going all the way to the East Coast but not sure if it'll be rain, snow or ice.

Iris, have you gotten any more of those calls?  I had two messages on my phone - one from yesterday and one from today - about locked credit cards.  Didn't click on either of them but called the one I had locked and it was from them.  Guess we can't be too careful anymore.

Going to stop and rest a bit before I have to tackle the water again.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more