Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Resources for nursing home patient

mdasilva
mdasilva Member Posts: 2
First Comment
My mother has Altheimer's and was admitted to a Nursing Home facility just few weeks ago. I have researched in my area and couldn't find a place with bilingual staff and/or bilingual patients. I wonder if there is a local resource that provides visitation for patients like my mom who don't speak English. My mom's native language is Portuguese, but she can understand Spanish. I visit her on a daily basis, but I feel like she needs more than I can offer. We have no family around. We live in Ocean County New Jersey. I appreciate the time you are taking to read my post and your help with this matter.

Comments

• harshedbuzz
    harshedbuzz Member Posts: 4,348
    Seventh Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Insightfuls Reactions 500 Likes

Hi and welcome.

I am sorry you have reason to be here but glad you found this place.

That's a tough one. There was a gentleman in dad's MCF who spoke only Italian. His family moved him closer to them in North Jersey where there were more family members who could still speak some Italian.

My friend's mom lost her English as her disease progressed. Friend did find an agency aide who spoke a little German for a time which was really helpful. I wonder if you could hire an aide who speaks either language, either through an agency, word of mouth or care.com to visit a few times each week.

HB

• mdasilva
    mdasilva Member Posts: 2
    First Comment
    Thank you for your response. I will be looking at care.com and another resource referred by Altheimer's Association. Thank you again. :)

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more