Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Finding a Memory Care Facility

Greetings, I'm new here, I just signed up. I'm my husband's caregiver. He was 1st diagnosed with Mild Cognitive Impairment in 2/2019 and transitioned to Alzheimer's Dementia in 11/2021. Unassisted, I've been looking at MCFs and they refer me to sources Independent placement persons (generic parties I'm not familiar with.)

Question: Can my local Alzheimers Chapter provide me a
list of MCFS to call or visit?

Thank you.
Bertha
Maricopa, AZ 85139

Comments

• Shan
    Shan Member Posts: 62
    10 Comments First Anniversary 5 Insightfuls Reactions 5 Care Reactions

im not sure about using your local Alzheimer’s chapter for referrals. When I needed to find a MCF for my mom I started looking online but got completely overwhelmed with all the options in my area. When most of the contacts I filled out bumped me over to the organization A Place for Mom, that’s who I eventually used to find care facilities in my area that provided what we needed for my mom. Still had a lot of phone calls to make and visits to narrow down but it was very helpful. I believe they offer help nationwide.

• esoldob
    esoldob Member Posts: 5
    First Comment

Thank you Shan. I'll check with A Place for Mom. Thankfully hubby's not in need yet, but I want to be prepared.

• Shan
    Shan Member Posts: 62
    10 Comments First Anniversary 5 Insightfuls Reactions 5 Care Reactions

It took us about three months of searching and calling and visiting before we found the right fit and got her moved and settled. So it’s good you’re looking before you need it.

• MN Chickadee
    MN Chickadee Member Posts: 871
    Tenth Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Likes 25 Care Reactions

Companies like A Place For Mom only contract with certain facilities, and will only recommend the ones that pay them a fee for the advertising. The best facilities often do not need to spend money to attract residents, they fill up based on their reputation and therefore you would not hear about them. Also APFM will call you incessantly long after you tell them to buzz off, they are known for really pestering people. Your local chapter of the Alzheimers Association may provide a list of facilities, though they can't editorialize on them. Your county likely has an Agency on Aging or Council on Aging that maintain lists of MC, AL, and Nursing Homes. This would at least be a place to start so you could start calling. Word of mouth and support groups are often the best way to get the real scoop on facilities. Ask at any civic groups you are part of, church, hair salon etc. Many people have experience with this if you ask. I started by calling about 20 memory care facilities. I was able to narrow them down by these calls based on the questions I asked (staff to patient ratio, staff training, locked vs unlocked, and general feeling I got from the person I spoke with.) Then I toured about 10 of them and from that asked around about the ones I liked. Speaking to other family members while touring is helpful. Check the parking lot for families coming and going. I also requested to sit a while during a meal being served. I would try to blend in and just observe families and staff, and grab a quick word with them. Some facilities have a family council meetings or facebook group etc you may be able to seek out feedback.

• harshedbuzz
    harshedbuzz Member Posts: 4,348
    Seventh Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Insightfuls Reactions 500 Likes

I found the best way to find good places was word-of-mouth. I asked all kinds of people-- my parents' PCP, the HHA they really liked (she has clients she visits in MCFs), our CELA, the folks in our IRL local support group, friends. I also toured a dozen or so places before we placed dad. I am fortunate to live in an area that is well served by such places.

Before I was wise to their business model, I called A Place for Mom. Before you do, it's important to understand how this is funded. APFM is supported by the facilities which pay them the equivalent of 1-2 months rent if you place your LO. Their lists are by no means comprehensive-- some of the nicest places don't need APFM to fill their beds. You could get a more comprehensive list from Google. And I would much rather a facility invest in staff training and retention than what is essentially advertising. I also found that most of the prospects given by APFM in my area where the corporate ones that don't accept Medicaid after assets are spent down which was something we might have needed to do depending on the rate of dad's progression.

@MN Chickadee is correct that once APFM has your contact information you have lost control of it. It seemed that every time a facility hired a new sales rep or was re-branded, they'd go through their list of potential customers and try to hard sell them. I got a call from someone at a facility that had been re-branded after an incident of elder-abuse over a year after my dad died. Ugh. Worse, I was driving mom to an appointment when the call went to Bluetooth and she was convinced I was planning to place her. It took me weeks to convince her otherwise.

HB

• esoldob
    First Comment

Thank you; I wondered about APFMs business model. A friend in CA used them 2x for her Mom for AL. I've resisted using them or others so I'm not overwhelmed with calls or emails.

• esoldob
    First Comment

Thank you MN Chickadee, I'll start here...Your county likely has an Agency on Aging or Council on Aging that maintain lists of MC, AL, and Nursing Homes.

• jfkoc
    jfkoc Member Posts: 3,750
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions

Please start your search by using your phone.

If there is not training and on going with a program you can verrify online go to the next on y9ur list.

I would then ask to have a copy of their contract and license sent to you. They don't want to? Scratch them off the list,

I would do as much by email as possible. That way the answerws are documented.

Local support groups are an excellent resource for facilities and Drs.

One person suggested looking at the cars in the parking lot. If they are falling apart it might indicate an underpaid staff.

The last thing I would do is to visit in person. That way you will not be swayed by the decor or food and over look what is really important.

• esoldob
    First Comment

Thank you Jfkoc.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia