Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Is visiting her daughter a good idea?

[Deleted User]
[Deleted User] Posts: 0
10 Comments
edited June 2023 in Caring for a Parent
The user and all related content has been deleted.

Comments

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,701
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions

I wouldn't do it. As much as she says she wants to go, I would bet you my bottom dollar that she doesn't remember your SIL's house or any of the dynamics that go on there. My partner continually says she wants to come home to be with me---but then asks me where I live. it's clear the driving factor is my presence, but she doesn't have a clue about her precious farm that was her retirement project (and still my home).

If I were in your shoes, I think I would wait until the baby is old enough to travel and have them come to you for a visit, not vice versa.

You are correct that the dynamics with your husband are another issue entirely. Perhaps you could suggest that he take her to your SIL's home. Only half kidding.

• [Deleted User]
    10 Comments
  • jfkoc
    jfkoc Member Posts: 3,750
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions
    edited June 2023

My first question is how far?

My next question is has she been invited.

Final question is the ggrandchild going to be living in the SIL house?

Maybe DH can take her for a good long stay...lol.

• [Deleted User]
    10 Comments
  • [Deleted User]
    10 Comments
  • jfkoc

For me the cons outweigh the pros. No invitation, no idea how many minutes would be with the baby etc.

DH can drive her over for a weekend visit and stay in a hotel. Or you can drive her over, drop her off and stay in a hotel.

• jfkoc

• terei
    terei Member Posts: 566
    Seventh Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Likes

Uh, No. They can Facetime the baby to her at your home. YOU’RE the one who needs a break from her. I would be looking at facilities.

• harshedbuzz
    harshedbuzz Member Posts: 4,348
    Seventh Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Insightfuls Reactions 500 Likes

You don't paint a particularly flattering portrait of your spouse. Perhaps you have more of a DH problem than a MIL.

In your shoes I would be working on a Plan B for placement. In the meantime, if SIL will keep her for a time, I'd drive the 6 1/2 hours to drop her off for a week or two.

• mommyandme (m&m)
    mommyandme (m&m) Member Posts: 1,468
    1000 Comments Fourth Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

Hoping,

I know spouses can say things in jest that some may hear as inconsiderate. And in the written word, jokes can’t be heard sometimes nor exaggerations. I didn’t read your post with the thought that your DH was being a “meanie”. You couldn’t be doing what you are without him, well she’s his mother after all. At least that’s how it was for me. My husband made my mother’s last comfortable years possible even though I did all the dirty work. I’ll appreciate it until the day I die as will my brother, who lives out of state. I hope your husband appreciates you, that’s what I would imagine.

I wouldn’t prioritize travel with your MIL soon to see the new baby. Let it wait and see how things settle in. My mom didnt appreciate the newborn great grandchildren as I had hoped. She was in early stage 6 then. I’m sorry, not sure where your MIL stages right now. My experience was that the babies, toddlers…took attention away from mom, which she didn’t like. She also seemed worried the toddlers would steal her stuff. It was a strange competition to watch and quite sad since moving mom near me meant she’d have way more access to the grand and great grandchildren. There came a time when it seems it just did not matter.

im sorry, this is all so hard.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney